Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | help needed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

help needed

Old 15-08-2005, 13:28   #1
ugly1
Inactive

ugly1 is an unknown quantity at this point
help needed

i have been reading in a sticky on here about signal levels for broadband modems.
so i checked mine and as i keep looseing my connection a lot

my modem is a NTL home 120 silver 1

Cable Modem Configuration

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Ambit Cable ModemMAC address : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
IP address : 10.171.xxx.xxx
Downstream Receive Power Level : -13.76 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 29.29 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 53.00 dBmv

i have masked out my mac address etc...

i saw in the sticky that i had been reading that my Downstream Receive Power Level should not be this high.

can anybody correct me on this or do i have a problem with it ?
ugly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2005, 13:31   #2
Caspar
Inactive

Caspar has reached the bronze age
Caspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze age
Re: help needed

to CableForum

..I'm sure someone will be along to answer your question in a minute or two
Caspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005, 13:32   #3
ugly1
Inactive

cheers for the welcome
Old 15-08-2005, 14:31   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

If your upstream or downstream are outside the tolerances posted in the sticky, and you are having problems with the connection remaining stable it's time to phone faults. Faults are often able to diagnose and agree this when you contact them as they can interrogate some of the network settings remotely. An adjustment imay be needed either at the street cabinet amplifier, or at the connection from the cable modem to the cable itself. That may require an engineer to visit you.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005, 15:07   #5
ugly1
Inactive

i just phoned NTL and spoke to a guy called tony

he did a check (diagnostics) on my modem and says the signal level is fine

weird sticky in here says it aint and also i keep looseing it now and again

he told me to keep an eye on it and when i loose it again dont do anything but phone him straight away .
by the time i get through to him, i will have my internet back on again.
anyone else any ideas ?
Old 15-08-2005, 15:28   #6
jonbr
Inactive

Services: DTV (Sky+), DTV (VM), phone, 4Mb BB (wireless)
jonbr is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem with my connection dropping out and coming back some time later on it's own. Usually during the day when I was at work so didn't know it had gone and couldn't phone them cos I wasn't next to it and didn't know.

Ended up in a three way call with them and my daughter at home and me in the office. The CS person was able to "see" that the connection had being going up and down so it may be worth another call to them explaining what's happening to see if they "see" that connection is also going up and down!
jonbr is offline   Reply With Quote