Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Angles on Skirting Boards

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Angles on Skirting Boards

Old 07-08-2005, 10:17   #1
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one
Angles on Skirting Boards

Hi all

I need to cut some shirting boards into a bay window sort of hexagon. Just things about measuring the angles! Are there any cheap tools to do this or has anyone got any good tips ???

Thanks

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2005, 10:22   #2
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman
Re: Angles on Shirting Boards

Use one of these for powered solution.

Or one of these for non powered.

Given the price difference I'd choose the powered version. But I'm sure I bought my non powered one from B&Q for £9.99.
hope that helps

Oh one of these and a protractor will give you the angle.

Here print your own

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

better still this product seems to combine both though it is pricey.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:28   #3
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

There is a way of working out internal angles. The forumla is:

Internal angle = (Number of angles-2) x 180 ÃÃâ€*’· (Number of angles)

So for a hexagon (6 sides) the internal angle is 120º

Do do it, you can either use a protractor or a mitre saw or mitre block. Mitre blocks are cheaper than saws, but not many have 120º angles cut into them.

HTH.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:28   #4
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

If you have nothing better get a sheet of paper and make a mark half way down one side. Place that sheet so that one edge touches one of the walls with the mark in the junction of where the walls meet. Fold the paper where it touches the corner so that the folded edge just touches the other wall. Bring the two edges that are now touching the walls together so as to fold the produced angle in half. That is the angle that you need to cut.

The problem with working it out like punky suggests is that corners in a house are virtually never square or at the perfect angle so you have to find out what the angle actually is rather than what it should be.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:05   #5
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman
Use one of these for powered solution.

Or one of these for non powered.

Given the price difference I'd choose the powered version. But I'm sure I bought my non powered one from B&Q for £9.99.
hope that helps

Oh one of these and a protractor will give you the angle.

Here print your own

better still this product seems to combine both though it is pricey.
Liked the powered option !!! will that cut laminate flooring panels or is the blade not wide enough ?

Thanks Mike
Old 07-08-2005, 11:07   #6
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

Just a small point It's skirting board, not shirting. It skirts the edges of the room, hence.
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:18   #7
Mike
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencreeper
Just a small point It's skirting board, not shirting. It skirts the edges of the room, hence.
Thanks for the correction did not look right when I posted it !
Old 07-08-2005, 11:28   #8
greencreeper
Inactive

greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Thanks for the correction did not look right when I posted it !
Ask a passing mod and he may be able to delete/edit all trace of the word "shirting", so no one need ever know
Old 07-08-2005, 11:32   #9
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Liked the powered option !!! will that cut laminate flooring panels or is the blade not wide enough ?

Thanks Mike
Does not look like it will take that width, you could always cal screwfix i'm sure they will be able to advise better.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:00   #10
greencreeper
Inactive

Screwfix have a forum where you can ask questions that are directly related to their products, or just ask for advice in general.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:32   #11
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

I got one of these, the magic mitre.

Click here
Old 08-08-2005, 18:08   #12
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

You can get a standard mitre block with saw attached to it for about £13 quid too.

Mind you I'd go for the first powered option, because I want one.... lol
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 19:51   #13
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Angles on Skirting Boards

I've corrected the spelling in the title

This is definitely a job for a QVC type gadget. Only problem is no doubt you want to do it now.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 19:20   #14
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C
I've corrected the spelling in the title
But what about all those people who have problems with their Shirting Boards...?!
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 22:48   #15
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
But what about all those people who have problems with their Shirting Boards...?!
They just have to roll their sleeves up and get on with it.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote