Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Getting 2mb broadband installed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Getting 2mb broadband installed

Old 28-07-2005, 20:23   #1
mills04
Inactive

mills04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Getting 2mb broadband installed

Hey guys,

Just wanted some advice really, sorry if its been answered before. Currently got NTL's 300kb Internet (yeah its pretty slow!) but tomorrow an engineer is coming round to install a new Samsung box for the 2mb connection. I was just wondering will everything still work ok (got a linksys router connected via ethernet to the stb) and will the Internet work straight away or will I have to wait for them to upgrade me. Thanks in advance

James
mills04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2005, 20:30   #2
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM
Re: Getting 2mb broadband installed

Hi and to cableforum.

Speaking from my experience i had a few problems but that does not mean you will, CS did not send the hit to me for the new speed.
Roy MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 20:36   #3
darren
Inactive

darren is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you will have to register your MAC address using http://autoreg.autoregister.net/ if it doesn't work straight away, I managed it via a router.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 21:34   #4
mills04
Inactive

Thanks for the replies. I will see how it goes tomorrow and if theres any problems I will ask here. Thanks once again.

Best Wishes,

James
Old 28-07-2005, 21:38   #5
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren
I think you will have to register your MAC address using http://autoreg.autoregister.net/ if it doesn't work straight away, I managed it via a router.
that address is for registering email addresses.

You should be taken to the "provisioning" pages automatically when your browser. If you aren't, type http://10.16.30.35/ in the address bar
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 22:43   #6
ThePinkRat
Inactive

ThePinkRat is on a distinguished roadThePinkRat is on a distinguished road

I did this a couple of weeks ago. The worst bit was waiting 6 weeks for the appointment with an engineer armed with a Samsung.

After that I just needed the original userid/password for the provisioning page and had to reboot all equipment. So pretty smooth really.

Later I noticed I'd lost a subscription TV channel in the STB switchover, so had to phone Customer Services to get it turned on.

I have to say my two calls to CS were a revelation: quickly answered by polite, chatty people and knowledgeable too. What a difference from past experiences. From my experience, I think NTL are getting their act together from the CS point of view. Engineers are a different matter: you can see the cuts are biting.
ThePinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 18:31   #7
mills04
Inactive

Wow, I must congratulate NTL. Engineer turned up about 10 to 5 armed with a new Samsung. All installed within 10mins. Got new remote which finally controls the tv, phew. The engineer was very very friendly.

He said the channels will take a while to come on. Went back to the TV at about 5:45 and they were all there. Turned on the router, registered with NTL again for the broadband and wow. what a speed increase, beats the 300k anyday.

So I would just like to say a big thankyou to NTL. All went smoothly. (fingers crossed)

James

PS. The Samsung box is so much nicer than the old Pace, so much faster!