Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Common sense anyone?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Common sense anyone?

Old 07-10-2003, 20:09   #1
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Common sense anyone?

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...813839,00.html

After reading the above, I had a thought. I live about 3 miles from the coast. If I went to the beach, in to the water and held my breath til I went all limp, could my family sue the coastgaurd for not putting up signs saying "Do not hold your breath underwater for longer than is neccessary"?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2003, 20:30   #2
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Re: Common sense anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...813839,00.html

After reading the above, I had a thought. I live about 3 miles from the coast. If I went to the beach, in to the water and held my breath til I went all limp, could my family sue the coastgaurd for not putting up signs saying "Do not hold your breath underwater for longer than is neccessary"?

I did think it was a bit of a weak case. It doesn't take many brain cells to work out that if you breath in smoke (of any kind) you die
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 21:05   #3
Steve H
Inactive

Services: Freeview, 512k Pipex.
Steve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of Quads
Send a message via ICQ to Steve H Send a message via MSN to Steve H Send a message via Yahoo to Steve H

Its the "Lets sue all" attitude that everyones got...People need to take responsibility for there own actions, instead of crippling companies all the time.

Though crippling the tobacco companies isnt a bad idea!
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 21:11   #4
Stuart W
Inactive

Services: BroadBand 4M
Stuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Stuart W

Sorry, I felt I had to play devils advocate on this one...

OK, does anyone remember what cigarette advertising was like in the 50's?

We actually had adverts or 'information programmes' to tell us that smoking was good for your health, helping the lungs (of all things!) was one of the biggest bonuses!

This guy started smoking when it was considered 'cool', not just by his peers, but by the general medical council too.

OK, in today's society, you'd be hard pushed to convince anyone that you can smoke with no ill-effects to your health, because we have so much information about the dangers of smoking thrust down our throats on a daily basis.

So, I think the thing to think about here is how long ago he started and what his genuine beliefs were at that point.

If in 50 yrs time we are told that Milk is geneticaly dangerous, would you like to be told that you cannot do anything to sue the dairy's because everyone knows Milk is geneticaly dangerous?

NOTE: The milk thing is a scenario, milk is perfectly safe to drink. For now.
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 21:20   #5
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_NTL
Its the "Lets sue all" attitude that everyones got...People need to take responsibility for there own actions, instead of crippling companies all the time.

Though crippling the tobacco companies isnt a bad idea!
Totally agree with your first point Steve. I work in the food industry, we try really hard to come up with an accurate ingredients list - but now have to put a warning that fish fingers contain raw fish on the pack for some customers. - Russ is right about "common sense".

But cripple the tobacco companies - lose all that tax money short term, but offset it against health benefits long term - that is another discussion

- declaring an interest I do smoke:o
Old 07-10-2003, 22:19   #6
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Stu, there are people out there now that are trying to make out that the Atkins diet is good for you, and that you should gorge yourself on fatty foods. ANYONE with a little common sense knows that this is not gonna be good for you.

People need to THINK before they do stuff. If I slash my wrists with a knife, can I sue the company that made it because it doesn't say not to on the handle! NO.

I'm sorry for her loss, but it is down to the husband for smoking not the company's for selling/advertising ciggys.

By the way I don't smoke and think we should introduce a rolling age limit on them to make them illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W

OK, does anyone remember what cigarette advertising was like in the 50's?

We actually had adverts or 'information programmes' to tell us that smoking was good for your health, helping the lungs (of all things!) was one of the biggest bonuses!

This guy started smoking when it was considered 'cool', not just by his peers, but by the general medical council too.

OK, in today's society, you'd be hard pushed to convince anyone that you can smoke with no ill-effects to your health, because we have so much information about the dangers of smoking thrust down our throats on a daily basis.

So, I think the thing to think about here is how long ago he started and what his genuine beliefs were at that point.

If in 50 yrs time we are told that Milk is geneticaly dangerous, would you like to be told that you cannot do anything to sue the dairy's because everyone knows Milk is geneticaly dangerous?

NOTE: The milk thing is a scenario, milk is perfectly safe to drink. For now.
Old 07-10-2003, 22:27   #7
Steve H
Inactive

Services: Freeview, 512k Pipex.
Steve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of Quads
Send a message via ICQ to Steve H Send a message via MSN to Steve H Send a message via Yahoo to Steve H

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellwear
Stu, there are people out there now that are trying to make out that the Atkins diet is good for you, and that you should gorge yourself on fatty foods. ANYONE with a little common sense knows that this is not gonna be good for you.

People need to THINK before they do stuff. If I slash my wrists with a knife, can I sue the company that made it because it doesn't say not to on the handle! NO.

I'm sorry for her loss, but it is down to the husband for smoking not the company's for selling/advertising ciggys.
I agree - And she should know that too, as she's decided to take up the case now.. Maybe if she'd attacked this when the company was actually promoting ciggy's in this way then.. she might have a case.

I dont think having a rolling age limit on cigs will make much difference.. My mates have all been smoking since about 12-13, and never had any trouble getting em.
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 22:58   #8
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
But the atkins diet doesn't tell you to gorge on fatty foods.
It says to cut out carbs which your body turns into fat.
Go back 50 years or so and most people were on the atkins diet, and heart disease and obecity were far lower than today.
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 23:13   #9
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W
Don't apologise, if you hadn't written that message I would have!

The tobacco companies have long known that they are selling (or pushing!) a product which is both addictive and harmful to the user.

They haven't done anything about it because, to do anything would just have left the open to claims that they knew about the dangers earlier. (If you market a cigarette which you claim is "safer" it clearly admits that they knew the old one was "unsafe")

They are now just engaging in desperate "rear guard" actions such as, as it mentions at the end of that report:

"In 1996, a judge cleared the way for Mrs McTear to continue her case after rejecting Imperial Tobacco's demand that she pay £2m in legal fees before suing them. The company had claimed research needed to defend the case would have cost £2m and take two years to complete."

This is blatantly an attempt to try to scare people out of suing, by threatening them with huge legal bills. American tobacco companies have already used these and every other possible legal (and not so legal) delaying tactic they can to protect their profits as long as possible.
Old 07-10-2003, 23:14   #10
Shaun
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers
But the atkins diet doesn't tell you to gorge on fatty foods.
It says to cut out carbs which your body turns into fat.
Go back 50 years or so and most people were on the atkins diet, and heart disease and obecity were far lower than today.
Go back 50 years and most people didn't lead sedentary lives and died ALOT younger.
Old 07-10-2003, 23:52   #11
Stuart W
Inactive

Stuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to all

Quote:

By the way I don't smoke and think we should introduce a rolling age limit on them to make them illegal.
You are missing the point.
I agree that due to education we now all know smoking to be bad, but 50+ years ago, we wern't so well informed.

Or to put it another way, do you think we should drop the "SMOKING KILLS" on every pack, because we all know it does?
Old 07-10-2003, 23:58   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
Don't apologise, if you hadn't written that message I would have!

The tobacco companies have long known that they are selling (or pushing!) a product which is both addictive and harmful to the user.

They haven't done anything about it because, to do anything would just have left the open to claims that they knew about the dangers earlier. (If you market a cigarette which you claim is "safer" it clearly admits that they knew the old one was "unsafe")

They are now just engaging in desperate "rear guard" actions such as, as it mentions at the end of that report:

"In 1996, a judge cleared the way for Mrs McTear to continue her case after rejecting Imperial Tobacco's demand that she pay £2m in legal fees before suing them. The company had claimed research needed to defend the case would have cost £2m and take two years to complete."

This is blatantly an attempt to try to scare people out of suing, by threatening them with huge legal bills. American tobacco companies have already used these and every other possible legal (and not so legal) delaying tactic they can to protect their profits as long as possible.
Can we talk about hot McDonald's coffee again ... go on, canwecanwecanwe ... pleeeze ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 00:06   #13
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

I have been smoking since I was a teenager and will probably die of a smoking related disease. Which manufacturer should I sue and how can I prove that it was that manufacturers cigarettes that caused the problems.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 00:07   #14
Stuart W
Inactive

Quote:
Go back 50 years and most people didn't lead sedentary lives and died ALOT younger.
Go back fifty years and you'd be rich, having been the first person to travel through time :p

Seriously though... go back 50 years and all the cuts of meat we buy today would look somewhat different. We had only just got over rationing food. Most kids had only just seen bananas.

We were told smoking was good for us and it would make our lungs healthy.

Go back a little further and you would have been told to put butter on a burn!
Old 08-10-2003, 06:52   #15
Jerrek
Inactive

Jerrek can only hope to improve

Only half a million pounds? That is peanuts. We have lawsuits going through at $28 billion...
Jerrek is offline   Reply With Quote