Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | car cigarette lighters

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

car cigarette lighters

Old 21-07-2005, 22:51   #1
Dave Stones
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband Option 3, BT Landline, Freeview
Dave Stones has reached the bronze age
Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Dave Stones
car cigarette lighters

or rather, lack of. My little motor doesn't have one of these in it. However, having one would be very useful, for my GPS and the like. I've had a quick flick through my haynes manual and the details on cigarette lighters in there are very sketchy to say the least....

I've had a look round on all the car forums etc and there is little if no detail at all anywhere on how to replace/fit cigarette lighters in any cars... I can't even find a supplier of replacement ones short of going and busting a car at a scrappy either at the moment, surely something which seems so small can't be so hard to find

Also, should adding extra components like that which need 12v DC from the cigarette lighter socket be done properly through the socket and wiring up to the fuse board etc, is it very risky splicing a wire from say the 12v stereo supply and then grounding elsewhere?

oh, forgot to mention it's a phase 1 peugeot 106, L reg...
Dave Stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-07-2005, 22:55   #2
Tuftus

Re: car cigarette lighters

Run a fat wire from the positive to your socket from the battery, deal with the negative via the nearest earth point on the chassis making sure the contacts have no paint / gunk to interfere...

A suitable fuse should be in line on your positive run from the battery, preferable close to the battery.

hope this helps....
Old 21-07-2005, 22:59   #3
Dave Stones
Inactive

Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuftus
Run a fat wire from the positive to your socket from the battery, deal with the negative via the nearest earth point on the chassis making sure the contacts have no paint / gunk to interfere...

A suitable fuse should be in line on your positive run from the battery, preferable close to the battery.

hope this helps....
kinda. The thing is at the moment there is no cigarette lighter socket at all, so i've got to source one of those, which is much more difficult than i thought. Is it a case of following the positive terminal connection from the battery into the main wiring and then pulling a positive wire out from there?

i might do automotive engineering but i don't have a clue
Old 21-07-2005, 23:06   #4
tick
Inactive

Services: ntl phone & tv broadband sky box
tick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud oftick has much to be proud of

wiring is proply there al ready you just need
to find it
tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005, 23:09   #5
Dave Stones
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick
wiring is proply there al ready you just need to find it
that was my initial thought. there is a blanking plate where the cigarette lighter is in other models...
Old 21-07-2005, 23:13   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Altough you can splice into wires, you need to be sure that the circuit used is sufficiently heavy duty. You might not now need it for your GPS or whatever, but some attachments that go into these sockets draw serious current.

Haynes manuals always used to do some fairly good wiring diagrams. You should be able to identify the circuit used by upper models of your car, and tap into that.

I'd have thought a decent car accessory shop (not necessarily halfords) should be able to supply a cigarette lighter kit.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005, 23:20   #7
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Have a look at http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ldID=&doy=21m7 and http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...9758&doy=21m7D . Halfords do the socket as well.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005, 23:25   #8
Dave Stones
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth
probably why i couldn't find anything anywhere, would never have thought of looking for something called "accessory socket". cheers
Old 21-07-2005, 23:31   #9
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stones
probably why i couldn't find anything anywhere, would never have thought of looking for something called "accessory socket". cheers
I searched for "car cigar lighter" which gives better results than cigarette.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005, 23:38   #10
Dave Stones
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth
I searched for "car cigar lighter" which gives better results than cigarette.
you appear to be right, it does. Now then... with http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...9758&doy=21m7# ... I am right in assuming I would need two lengths of wire, one which will go to ground somewhere along the chassis, and one which will trail off to positive somewhere.. This seems a lot easier now i know you can buy the sockets easily...

So, if i get two lengths of wire which can cope with 16 amp loads I should be ok on the wiring side, the next step is just to find where to connect them in-car?
Old 21-07-2005, 23:43   #11
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

direct to the battery, use 30A cable and put a 20A fuse in line with it
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005, 23:45   #12
Tuftus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stones
you appear to be right, it does. Now then... with http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...9758&doy=21m7# ... I am right in assuming I would need two lengths of wire, one which will go to ground somewhere along the chassis, and one which will trail off to positive somewhere.. This seems a lot easier now i know you can buy the sockets easily...

So, if i get two lengths of wire which can cope with 16 amp loads I should be ok on the wiring side, the next step is just to find where to connect them in-car?
Your best / safest bet would be to run the positive direct from the battery with an in line fuse (suitably rated) and keep the negative as short as possible and direct to chassis ensuring a clean connection...
Old 21-07-2005, 23:48   #13
Dave Stones
Inactive

connecting directly to the battery, as in the same place the battery terminals are, under the bonnet?
Old 21-07-2005, 23:49   #14
Nikko
Inactive

Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal
Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal

Accessory is your pointer - the Haynes manual wiring diagram should point you to where the + switched accessory fuse is - normally a lighter circuit spurs from this so that it is only live with the key in & turned.

Any nearby earthing point can be used for the -
Nikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005, 23:50   #15
Dave Stones
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko
Accessory is your pointer - the Haynes manual wiring diagram should point you to where the + switched accessory fuse is - normally a lighter circuit spurs from this so that it is only live with the key in & turned.

Any nearby earthing point can be used for the -
cheers... i guess the terminology is all off, i've just been looking for cigarette lighter all along... cheers all