Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | i keep getting this ip 169.254.0.0 unable to access the net

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

i keep getting this ip 169.254.0.0 unable to access the net

Old 03-07-2005, 23:21   #1
ameen
Inactive

ameen is an unknown quantity at this point
i keep getting this ip 169.254.0.0 unable to access the net

hi i have zonealarm firewall the problem is most of the time i keep getting this ip 169.254.0.0 in my firewall and am unable to access the internet anyone have any idea who i can disable and stop this ip
ameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2005, 23:26   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: i keep getting this ip 169.254.0.0 unable to access the net

Try this:
  1. Uninstall Zone Alarm
  2. Restart PC
  3. When PC has restarted, try and access web
  4. Reinstall Zonealarm and restart PC.

169 adresses are usually assigned by Windows to your PC when it cannot find and IP address.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 23:29   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

A 169. address is an APIPA (automatic private IP address).

Could be that ZoneAlarm is stopping your PC from renewing its DHCP lease, or it could be a winsock error.

Have a read of these:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=18084

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=13164
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 23:31   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago.

Definatly ZA stopping your machine renewing the DHCP.

Can't remember how I got round it. Try removing ZA completely and then reinstalling.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:10   #5
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Or...better yet...leave Zonealarm off and get a decent firewall
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 20:26   #6
DWW
Inactive

Services: NTL bundle
DWW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Doubt if winsock is causing this type of problem,

Normally problems with TCP/IP being corrupt, a dodgey modem or as has been mentioned a firewall blocking the dhcp cause a 169 IP. i have Zone alarm and have no problems but there are other firewalls on the market.

A winsock problem is normally when you have a valid IP but can not browse.
DWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:11   #7
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

yeah thats a local IP. The only time I've got that, I had to phone Telewest, and have the guys reboot the modem from thier end
v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:40   #8
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
Had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago.

Definatly ZA stopping your machine renewing the DHCP.

Can't remember how I got round it. Try removing ZA completely and then reinstalling.
Removing ZA is a bit extreme unless it's corrupted. Could try following the advice on configuring firewalls given here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.../security.html
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote