Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Slow Connection with NTL

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Slow Connection with NTL

Old 03-07-2005, 18:37   #1
ridders
Inactive

ridders is an unknown quantity at this point
Slow Connection with NTL

Hello All,

I have had NTL broadband for about 9 months now and had no real problems with it.

However a month ago, my router died on me, so got that sorted and ever since then surfing the net has been really slow and painful. I have to press refresh many times to display a web page......very frustrating.

i share my connection with 3 other people.

Is there a way of detecting what the problem maybe. Its not a speed issue as downloading files etc has been really quick.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
ridders is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2005, 18:38   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Slow Connection with NTL

Have you tried running a PC on the connection without the router to see if the refresh issue goes away?
What router is it you are using?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 18:39   #3
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

hi and to the site , some pings and tracerts are in order for a start
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 18:42   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Hi ridders to

Start with the easy questions first.....
  1. Have you rebooted your CM since you replaced your router?
  2. What other software is running when you have problems with your connection?
  3. What software is running on the other PCs when you have problems.
  4. Assuming that you were running for a while without the router, did you have any firewalls running during that period of time? If not, it is possible that not having a router attached has left you vulnerable to attack and you have picked up something nasty so.....
  5. Have you run an antivirus and spyware scan recently?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 22:09   #5
ridders
Inactive

ridders is an unknown quantity at this point

I have tried most things

When connected straight from STB (rather than wireless) I had no problems so it must be the router settings I have problems with.

I dont know how to perform a ping or tracert - please help ???
  1. Have you rebooted your CM since you replaced your router? Yes
  2. What other software is running when you have problems with your connection? None (apart from Norton)
  3. What software is running on the other PCs when you have problems. None
  4. Assuming that you were running for a while without the router, did you have any firewalls running during that period of time? If not, it is possible that not having a router attached has left you vulnerable to attack and you have picked up something nasty so.....
  5. Have you run an antivirus and spyware scan recently? Yes
ridders is offline   Reply With Quote