Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router for STB?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router for STB?

Old 29-06-2005, 20:11   #1
Jonax
Inactive

Jonax is an unknown quantity at this point
Router for STB?

Glad to be posting here - Been with "NTL" since the Nynex years, had broadband with ntl for almost two years, been watching NTLhellworld since its original incarnation

For a while, I've been happy with the one-PC internet connection to the family WinXP desktop but I've been thinking of networking it to cater for my fairly-old Linux laptop. The whole network is wired so ethernet is enough, but the internet is through the STB - What type of router (DSL/ADSL) do I need to connect the STB & the computers?

On a following note, anyone recommend any routers for the job?
Jonax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2005, 20:20   #2
homealone

Re: Router for STB?

Hi Jonax to the forum

If you are not worried about a wireless solution, i use one of these

http://www1.linksys.com/internationa...oid=6&ipid=367

it was very easy to install & has been extremely reliable.
Old 29-06-2005, 20:22   #3
Jonax
Inactive

So a DSL router is enough to plug into the STB?
Old 29-06-2005, 20:23   #4
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

We use one of these
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/RP614.php
but the linksys is good too.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 20:30   #5
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonax
Glad to be posting here - Been with "NTL" since the Nynex years, had broadband with ntl for almost two years, been watching NTLhellworld since its original incarnation

For a while, I've been happy with the one-PC internet connection to the family WinXP desktop but I've been thinking of networking it to cater for my fairly-old Linux laptop. The whole network is wired so ethernet is enough, but the internet is through the STB - What type of router (DSL/ADSL) do I need to connect the STB & the computers?

On a following note, anyone recommend any routers for the job?
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/se...earchid=602812
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 22:02   #6
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
So a DSL router is enough to plug into the STB?
That one is cable/dsl. As are most stand alone routers.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 22:27   #7
jaycee
Inactive

jaycee will become famous soon enoughjaycee will become famous soon enoughjaycee will become famous soon enough

You want one that's for Cable/ADSL. These have no internal modem (as the ADSL ones do), they just have an "Internet" or "WAN" port, and "LAN" ports. This is what you need.

The Linksys or Netgear ones that have been recommended will work great.
jaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 22:42   #8
Jonax
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee
You want one that's for Cable/ADSL. These have no internal modem (as the ADSL ones do).
Old 29-06-2005, 22:45   #9
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Some routers (ADSL only ones) are combined routers/modems - they have a built-in ADSL modem. You don't want one of those for a cable connection.

You need just a normal cable/DSL router, as others have recommended.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 23:19   #10
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

One known "troublemaker" IS THE BENQ esg103 - with some fairly substantial incompatibility issues with the PACE STB
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 23:23   #11
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee
You want one that's for Cable/ADSL. These have no internal modem (as the ADSL ones do), they just have an "Internet" or "WAN" port, and "LAN" ports. This is what you need.

The Linksys or Netgear ones that have been recommended will work great.
Surely you mean:

"You want one that's for Cable/DSL....."
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 23:25   #12
jaycee
Inactive

jaycee will become famous soon enoughjaycee will become famous soon enoughjaycee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth
One known "troublemaker" IS THE BENQ esg103 - with some fairly substantial incompatibility issues with the PACE STB
Thats because anything BenQ make is generally cheap garbage. Similarly, Belkin's routers are dreadful. Steer clear and stick with Linksys or Netgear.
jaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2005, 00:01   #13
Jonax
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D
Some routers (ADSL only ones) are combined routers/modems - they have a built-in ADSL modem. You don't want one of those for a cable connection.
Ah, I think I'm getting it

TBH I was originally looking at a Buffalo router, but I might have a look at the Netgear or Linksys.

Cheers for the help, guys