Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | MPB gene identified

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

MPB gene identified

Old 11-06-2005, 08:02   #1
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Post MPB gene identified

Yahoo news
Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Researchers in Germany have found that variations in a gene related to male sex hormones may be at the root of male-pattern baldness, the most common form of hair loss. The culprit is the androgen receptor gene, and it dwells on the X chromosome, which all men inherit from their mothers.

Experts have long believed that hair loss in inherited. But the new research, to be published in the American Journal of Human Genetics, is the first to identify a specific gene that may be involved, according to the study authors.

Other, yet-unidentified genes are likely involved in male-pattern baldness, possibly including ones handed down by fathers. But the new findings highlight the importance of mom's side of the family when it comes to a man's hairline, according to the study authors, led by Dr. Markus M. Nothen of the University of Bonn.
Quote:
The researchers say they are continuing to hunt down the other genes involved in early-onset male-pattern baldness. Scientists hope that getting at the genetic roots of hair loss will eventually spawn better baldness treatments or a cure.
A few more years and there may even be a cure
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2005, 09:56   #2
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: MPB gene identified

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:58   #3
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

It was always said that baldness was passed down from the Mother????
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:04   #4
Kaz61
Inactive

Kaz61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Yahoo news

A few more years and there may even be a cure
Wish they'd HURRY UP
Kaz61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:05   #5
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

I feel your pain.....

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 12-06-2005, 10:06   #6
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
Well I was going to PM you about it but got told not to lol The way advances in genetics are being made it could be that sometime soon people won't have to worry about their hairlines receding faster than the current water reserves for Suffolk
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:09   #7
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

I never had a problem with a receeding hairline - I started losing it at the crown (apparently male hairloss comes in 2 forms depending on where it starts and 'treatments' for one will not neccessarily work for the other) and it spread all over.

Actually I look even more scary WITH hair - I tried on a joke wig recently and my daughter ran off screaming

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 12-06-2005, 10:15   #8
Kaz61
Inactive

Kaz61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually I feel quite lucky.....lucky in the fact that it's 'fashionable' to have your hair cut really really short or indeed shaved.....so going bald and I'm in fashion .....RESULT
Kaz61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:19   #9
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Plus we save a fortune on hair gel and shampoo. My girlfriend once timed me at washing and drying my hair - 11 seconds

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 12-06-2005, 13:00   #10
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
Plus we save a fortune on hair gel and shampoo. My girlfriend once timed me at washing and drying my hair - 11 seconds
You mean you don't just put it in the washing machine...?!
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 15:05   #11
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

There's a lad at work, only 23 and he's bald already I'm doing alright so far, but I'm with you on the short hair being easier to manage. I once had shoulder length hair - had to wash it every day, took loads of shampoo, nightmare to dry. Much prefer a blades 2 and 4 cut When I look at men in a sexual way, I'm more turned off by long hair than by baldness
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote