Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Network cables

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Network cables

Old 05-06-2005, 18:30   #1
Sparks
Inactive

Sparks is an unknown quantity at this point
Network cables

At the moment I have two PCs networked with a x-over cable (cable is under floor an inside wall). I am thinking of fitting a router and don't want to run a new straight through cable. Is there an adaptor that will change from X to strait?, or any other suggestions. Thx.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2005, 18:33   #2
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age
Re: Network cables

if you buy a router with an uplink port, the x-over will plug directly into that. not sure if these are easly avalable though.

iyou could te a normal cable to the end and pull it through, shouldn't be too hard.
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 18:40   #3
iain_herts
Ex SKY Engineer

Services: 2x sky+ /sky16Mb/bt phone
iain_herts has reached the bronze age
iain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to iain_herts

or u could always cut off the old connections and put some new 1's on to make it a patch cable worth a go i think but dunno how much the stuff would cost tho.
Old 05-06-2005, 18:42   #4
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain_herts
or u could always cut off the old connections and put some new 1's on to make it a patch cable worth a go i think but dunno how much the stuff would cost tho.
...more than a new cable!
Old 05-06-2005, 18:42   #5
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

iirc you can buy a gender changer to make it straight thru
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 19:12   #6
Sparks
Inactive

All this is a grey area for me so i will have to look into it. Router with a uplink port could be easiest if i could get one. I've looked at some gender changers but cant see one with the right connections.
Old 05-06-2005, 19:17   #7
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

One of these?
Quote:
Q: If this can be used to change a crossover cable to a straight cable what end do you plug it on as the ends of a crossover cable are different (smoothdude: 27/01/2005 )
A: The adapter will reverse the current cable eg straight through to crossover and vice versa, end does not matter.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 19:18   #8
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Would this do the trick?

EDIT: Really must hit that submit button a little faster next time.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 19:20   #9
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzo
Would this do the trick?

EDIT: Really must hit that submit button a little faster next time.
Since it's the same as my link then I would say yes but I am biased
Old 05-06-2005, 23:21   #10
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Most routers, this includes mine, which is a Belkin, these days have Auto-Detecting Ports that will try both Cross-Over and Straight paths to see which one works to make the job a little easier.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 23:50   #11
Millay
Inactive

Millay has reached the bronze age
Millay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Millay Send a message via Yahoo to Millay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph
Most routers, this includes mine, which is a Belkin, these days have Auto-Detecting Ports that will try both Cross-Over and Straight paths to see which one works to make the job a little easier.
Was just going to say that myself, you will be hard pushed to by a switch/router that is not autosensing nowadays....
Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 16:18   #12
Sparks
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph
Being as I have to buy a router anyway my best bet would be to buy one that has Auto Detecting ports and i haven't seen any that state this. So can someone point me in the direction of a good make and model as i don't want to have to send it back if it doesn't work. Also it is only required for two networked PCs, thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2005, 16:23   #13
bmxbandit
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millay
Was just going to say that myself, you will be hard pushed to by a switch/router that is not autosensing nowadays....
damn my dated equipment (and knowledge!)

Old 06-06-2005, 16:23   #14
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

a Belkin F5D7230-4 is what I own, its done me well
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 16:30   #15
Paul K
Inactive

This one does it according to the support pdf
http://www.linksys.com/international...oid=6&ipid=367
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/...41v3_uk_ds.pdf