Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Motorway Services!!!!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Motorway Services!!!!!

Old 28-05-2005, 11:07   #1
Croker
Inactive

Services: ntl 2meg Internet, Sky Sports & Movies (couple of extra boxes), Film 4 & Phone
Croker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enough
Motorway Services!!!!!

Motorway Services are not a public help at all. They are a ripoff, poor services & extortionate prices. Once more, a shining example of ripoff britain. I bought a small bottle of water, a small fruit and nut bar and a marathon (snickers brand not offically recognised by the croker regime) and the cost came to £2.89
Croker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2005, 11:22   #2
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
Re: Motorway Services!!!!!

finished , unless i was really desperate , i would never use a service area , i would rather pull off the motorway and go to a local town / village
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 11:26   #3
Croker
Inactive

Services: ntl 2meg Internet, Sky Sports & Movies (couple of extra boxes), Film 4 & Phone
Croker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enough

the sandwiches are about £4 each - about the minimum working wage
Old 28-05-2005, 12:05   #4
allieyoung666
Permanently Banned

Services: whats that??
allieyoung666 has reached the bronze age
allieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze age

Try staying at Travelodge they are even worse!!!!! WE had to go to Carlise the other week to go and get the kids some tea as I would not pay £6.99 for a burger!!! And £4.00 for a bottle of Stella from the little chef. we got 8 for the price of one!
allieyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 12:40   #5
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croker
Motorway Services are not a public help at all. They are a ripoff, poor services & extortionate prices.
Thing is, it's the basic law of Supply and Demand, if supply is restricted and demand is high, prices go up.

You don't have the (easy) option of going elsewhere (unless you pull off the motorway) so your only choice is take it or leave it.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 12:42   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croker
Motorway Services are not a public help at all.
They're not designed to be a public help, they're there to make money for profit making organisations.

And, as Graham says, the prices are high because that's what they can get away with charging (supply and demand at its basic level).

If you find the prices objectionable then why not pack up a picnic before you leave home?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 15:37   #7
allieyoung666
Permanently Banned

allieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze age

we did and the flask leaked and warm food does not taste very nice after a while!!! Just think food poisioning !!!
Old 28-05-2005, 15:53   #8
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

I have never know services to be that highly priced. I know they are a little more expensive but don't mind paying because its a one off and I have wanted it.

I have found them to be ok the number of times I have used them and now noticed that some of them are getting cheaper.

Have spent many a Saturday in and out of service stations.
Old 28-05-2005, 16:00   #9
Croker
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew
I have never know services to be that highly priced. I know they are a little more expensive but don't mind paying because its a one off and I have wanted it.

I have found them to be ok the number of times I have used them and now noticed that some of them are getting cheaper.

hmm. Your not a 'welcome break' employee are you?
Old 28-05-2005, 20:35   #10
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Nope.
Old 28-05-2005, 21:17   #11
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew

If you're 16, how have you managed that? You can't drive!
Old 28-05-2005, 21:20   #12
moffmeister
Inactive

moffmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

His parents can??
moffmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 21:21   #13
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

There used to be a cheap book that you could buy that directed you to decent "services" provided by local villages etc. on most of the UK's motorway links - cannot remember the name of it
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 21:25   #14
allieyoung666
Permanently Banned

Yeah it is called a map!!! Sorry tricky, well I know Cumbria quite well as I was born and raised there. The easiest thing I can suggest is that you always head for a town as there is always a corner shop on the edge of town, thats what I do when I have to travel to other towns. Plus plan in advance so you can stop and have a mooch or ask at the petrol station they will tell you.
Old 28-05-2005, 22:10   #15
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Like moffmeister said my parents can and I have been with them when they have been driving.