Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | cable modem connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

cable modem connection

Old 15-05-2005, 01:41   #1
khazars
Inactive

khazars is an unknown quantity at this point
cable modem connection

hi, I have a cable modem with NTL. I set up the connection using the USB, but then bought a new PC, I tried setting up an ethernet connection, but it says couldn't renew the IP address.

I think my ISP has given me a static IP adress, with the USB and that's why I can't get the ethernet to connect because my ISP knows I already have one for the USB? I have tried different cables and nic cards and Windows says the NIC cards are all working properly? what do you think?
khazars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-05-2005, 01:48   #2
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Re: cable modem connection

Should be a case of swopping over your cables, unplugging the modem for at least a minute and then popping everything back on.

What IP address are you getting before and after? Same/different?
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2005, 01:57   #3
khazars
Inactive

I have did all that repeatedly, it still doesn't work. I haven't got a static IP, as it has changed after I unplugged the modem for half an hour a few days ago.

The main error I get is that the IP address can't be renewed and to contact my ISP. If I plug the USB connection in and unplug the nic the USB connection is working straight away!
Old 15-05-2005, 02:15   #4
jonifen
Inactive

jonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nice

I would unplug both the ethernet and usb cable from the modem and power it off. Shutdown your computer at this point also.
Wait for about a minute (longer if you get sidetracked making a brew or something )
Plug the ethernet cable in (I assume you are using the ethernet cable that the NTL engineer left behind?) to both the modem and your PC.
Power the modem on. Wait for the lights to settle (this can take a moment - good things come to those who wait!)
Power your PC on. Try the internet when it's booted up - should be working no problems.

You may need to go through the computer provision system again... If you try going to ntlworld.com - it should detect your IP is one used for registration and forward you to the autoreg site. If not, go to http://autoreg.autoregister.net and follow the instructions onscreen. You will need your PID code and your account password to continue by the way.
jonifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2005, 02:49   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

khazars:

Unplug the Cable Modem power supply
Turn the PC off
Unplug the USB leads
Plug in the Ethernet leads
Leave for 5 minutes
Plug the Cable Modem power supply back in
Wait for lights to settle
Turn the PC on
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2005, 12:23   #6
khazars
Inactive

ok guys, I tried your suggestion, and it didn't work, same problem. When I boot up, it says acquiring a network address, then the little screen disappears. So I went to the command prompt and typed ipconfig /all. I have a IP address and a subnet mask, but no Default gateway, no DHCP server and no DNS servers! Is this correct, as in the USB connection the latter 3 were all listed with the connections?

The Nic card is fine, I went into system and device manager and also checked network connections, which says connected but in there to, there is no DNS, DHCP or gateway listed?

any other Ideas ?
Old 15-05-2005, 12:30   #7
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazars
ok guys, I tried your suggestion, and it didn't work, same problem. When I boot up, it says acquiring a network address, then the little screen disappears. So I went to the command prompt and typed ipconfig /all. I have a IP address and a subnet mask, but no Default gateway, no DHCP server and no DNS servers! Is this correct, as in the USB connection the latter 3 were all listed with the connections?

The Nic card is fine, I went into system and device manager and also checked network connections, which says connected but in there to, there is no DNS, DHCP or gateway listed?

any other Ideas ?
let me guess... the ip on the nic was starting 169.254??

Try the following: reboot everything and connect the NIC then check the ip again. If it is 169, remove the coaxial cable from the modem. Then type ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew and see if it picks up an ip. It should get 192.168.100.3 or 192.168.100.10. If it does, reconnect the coax, reboot the modem and try releasing and renewing the ip again.

Report back what happens
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2005, 12:35   #8
khazars
Inactive

coax meaning the white cable lead?
Old 15-05-2005, 12:39   #9
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazars
coax meaning the white cable lead?
yep
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2005, 13:07   #10
khazars
Inactive

Ye ha, it's working at last, 2 pcs later!

However, I am a bit baffled, because all I did this time was unplug the USB, hooked up the ethernet cable, switched off the pc, rebooted, then in Network connections, re-enabled the ethernet nic connection, and bravo, it's connected.

The only thing I have did any different was to boot up, without first re-enabling the nic connection. Can you explain this, does this make sense to ya?

cheers khaz
Old 15-05-2005, 13:25   #11
spike7451
Inactive

Services: Sky+/BT Home hub,phone & fusion mobile.
spike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybreath
let me guess... the ip on the nic was starting 169.254??

Try the following: reboot everything and connect the NIC then check the ip again. If it is 169, remove the coaxial cable from the modem. Then type ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew and see if it picks up an ip. It should get 192.168.100.3 or 192.168.100.10. If it does, reconnect the coax, reboot the modem and try releasing and renewing the ip again.

Report back what happens
Monkeybreath!
You beat me to it!! Great minds think alike!
M
spike7451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2005, 17:31   #12
khazars
Inactive

Back again, with the same problem but different scenario!

First off, when I shut down my pc and turn off the cable modem and then reboot the cable modem goes through the same thing as before, not able to renew the IP address, but If I just click disable the connection in Network connections and then re-enable it, it automatically gets an IP address and it's ok. The address it gets when it stalls is 169.254 as stated above by whoever it was lol!

Anyway, the issue now is, I have an old compaq which I have set up as a dedicated firewall using IPcop. I have a cat5E crossover connecting my pc to the old compaq. The Compaq has 2 Nic cards, one for Green and one for Red. I'm using a straight through cat 5 cable to connect the cable modem to the compaq box.

However, when I try and connect to the net it is getting the 169.254 scenario. How can I rectify this and obtain an IP address using the Red nic card instead of using the nic card in my PC?

cheers Khaz
Old 17-05-2005, 18:05   #13
khazars
Inactive

anyone?