Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL Home 200 & D-Link DI-604 Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL Home 200 & D-Link DI-604 Router

Old 06-04-2005, 12:38   #1
jatkin
Inactive

jatkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry NTL Home 200 & D-Link DI-604 Router

Hi all,
I am trying to create a very simple network with the above equipment, but the cable modem either fails to see the router (the lan light is not on) or intermittantly drops the connection.
If i put a 10m hub between the two, it all works fine!!!
Any idea how I can confgure this system to work without the hub???
any help would be appreciated.
Best regards,
James
jatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2005, 13:31   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: NTL Home 200 & D-Link DI-604 Router

James,

to CF.

Firstly, the ethernet cable from the BB Modem should be connected to the 'WAN' port on the back of the router, not one of the four LAN ports.

If you connect this and a LAN cable from one of the LAN ports to the PC, you should be able to browse to http://192.168.0.1 (user 'admin', blank password) and run the setup wizard - although afaik the defaults should work with NTL. Quick Install Guide here

HTH
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 13:34   #3
jatkin
Inactive

Hi,

I have the units connected ok (using a straight patch cable) from the WAN to the Cable Modem. The system does work, it is just intermittant both when running and on startup.
I am guessing that the problem MIGHT lay with the autonegotiation of speed - 10/100 (this would explain why the Hub masks the problem).
James
Old 06-04-2005, 14:03   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Autonegotiation shouldn't be an issue with a normally working router and CM. If you have no issues with a direct connect PC but do with the router I would suspect a problem with the router. Most broadband routers should just work 'out-of-the-box' with NTL BB.
Old 06-04-2005, 14:05   #5
jatkin
Inactive

That's what I would have thought, but I have tried a Buffalo WBG54, and another D-Link, all with the same response.
Old 06-04-2005, 14:56   #6
Aragorn
Inactive

Hmm, never used D-Link or Buffalo myself. If you have the option of taking the D-Link back, I would recommend trying a Linksys BEFSR41 - the entry level 4 port non-wireless Linksys product. Just over £30 on Amazon.

If returning it is not an option at this stage, you could check the logs on the CM (see http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/ for details) and the router, but if a single PC works fine, as does a hub, I can't see any reason that a router shouldn't work OK.

HTH
Old 06-04-2005, 15:06   #7
Tuftus

Have you got the latest firmware on the DI-604?

I had a few probs with mine a few months back and updated the f/w and it has been fine since...
Old 06-04-2005, 15:07   #8
jatkin
Inactive

As far as I know, the fw is up to date - what version are you running?
Old 06-04-2005, 15:15   #9
Tuftus

Firmware Version: V3.09, Tue, Dec 28 2004
Old 07-04-2005, 10:32   #10
jatkin
Inactive

Ok, I was running 3.06 - this has now been updated to 3.09...
I have got the two hooked up together now (without the hub) and they appear to work fine - I'll keep my eye on them...
One intresting thing is that if I power on the Cable Modem without the router attached to it, the LAN light does not come on - sounds good to me. If I now plug the router in and power it on, the LAN light still does not come on??? (If I do the same with the hub, it does) Is this correct???
If I cycle the power on the Cable Modem now, with the router connected and powered on, the LAN light does come on during the initialisation stage and remains on... ummm...
I'll let you know if I get any further drop outs, but fingers crossed, it appears to be working!!!
Thanks for all your help...