Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] IP keeps changing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] IP keeps changing

Old 02-04-2005, 21:45   #1
caroline
cf.addict

caroline is just really nicecaroline is just really nicecaroline is just really nicecaroline is just really nicecaroline is just really nicecaroline is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to caroline Send a message via AIM to caroline Send a message via Yahoo to caroline
ip changes

Hi

can anyone tell me how can i stop my ip changeing, its done it twice this week,and i lose my internet connection, so to get it back i have to take out the cable modem plug and then put it back in, then all is ok, how can i stop this happening.And is this ntl fault or my computer.

thanx Caroline
caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2005, 22:06   #2
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Re: ip changes

IP addresses are dynamically assigned to you, you cannot prevent the change. The changes are made by ntl, it is not the fault of your computer.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 22:44   #3
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto
IP addresses are dynamically assigned to you, you cannot prevent the change. The changes are made by ntl, it is not the fault of your computer.
Dynamic to a point normally you keep an IP address unless something happens to cause it to change.
Caroline can you tell us a bit more info so we can go through the possibilities?
What Operating System are you running?
Are you running a software firewall at all? If so what?
Are you running a single PC directly connected to the SACM or are you behind a router?
Is the SACM on all the time?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 22:53   #4
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

As Toto has said, IP addresses are issued dynamically and you cannot prevent them from changing if the change is caused by something like resegmentation. In general IP addresses tend to stay the same particularly if you hardly ever turn your PC off or router if you are connecting through one. It could be a question of you having a firewall that isn't allowing DHCP requests to be processed resulting in you losing the lease of the IP. Have a look at Robin Walkers site regarding DHCP issues and also the page on that site regarding firewall issues. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...tips/dhcp.html
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 23:53   #5
caroline
cf.addict

caroline is just really nicecaroline is just really nicecaroline is just really nicecaroline is just really nicecaroline is just really nicecaroline is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to caroline Send a message via AIM to caroline Send a message via Yahoo to caroline

Hi

Im running windows xp professional ,also running kaspersky anti virus and im running a router, this problem has only occured when i got my free upgrade, althoe all last week i was having trouble with signal noise ratio on my line but that has been sorted.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:45   #6
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline
Hi

Im running windows xp professional ,also running kaspersky anti virus and im running a router, this problem has only occured when i got my free upgrade, althoe all last week i was having trouble with signal noise ratio on my line but that has been sorted.
With the ammount of upgrades and engineering work going on at the moment you may find that you were unlucky last week and that things settle down now. What area of the country are you in?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 15:07   #7
caroline
cf.addict

Hi
i live in hertfordshire sg61qb [post code]
is it possible you could ask ignition [as he works for ntl]
why it would be that my ip address is changeing, and if he coild sort the problem out , please.
Im now trying running my computer without my router connected just in case the upgrades have somehow done something to my router, will let you know how i get on.
Can you please ask ignition to reply to me about my problem.
thanx
Old 03-04-2005, 15:14   #8
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, it turned out that my firewall wasn't allowing my PC to renew the lease on the IP address. NTLs system was assuming that my machine was no longer connected to the network so it was reassigning the IP address.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 22:08   #9
caroline
cf.addict

Ip Keeps Changeing

Hi All

my computer is connected to a netgear wgr614 times 3 and im runnung xp professional , ive upgraded the latest firmware as well all has been fine untill i had the free upgrade, now i lose the internet and have to reboot the router to get it back, this use to happen before, but that was before the upgrade and before i updated the latest firmware for the router, ive run my computer now for four days without the router connected and it hasnt lost the internet once so im pretty sure it must be the router.When i had it connected to the router it lost the internet and i found the ip address had changed, i gave it a static ip address but it still changed , how can i stop it from changeing or is there another option apart from a static ip address on the router that stops it changeing or at least keeps me connected to the internet all the time.

thanx caroline
Old 07-04-2005, 22:23   #10
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
Re: [Merged] IP keeps changing

NTL IPs are issued dynamically. It is either a router or firewall issue that is preventing DHCP from renewing the IP lease. Have a good look at Robin Walkers site that I mentioned in post #4.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 22:24   #11
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis
Re: Ip Keeps Changeing

Quote:
Hi All

my computer is connected to a netgear wgr614 times 3 and im runnung xp professional , ive upgraded the latest firmware as well all has been fine untill i had the free upgrade, now i lose the internet and have to reboot the router to get it back, this use to happen before, but that was before the upgrade and before i updated the latest firmware for the router, ive run my computer now for four days without the router connected and it hasnt lost the internet once so im pretty sure it must be the router.When i had it connected to the router it lost the internet and i found the ip address had changed, i gave it a static ip address but it still changed , how can i stop it from changeing or is there another option apart from a static ip address on the router that stops it changeing or at least keeps me connected to the internet all the time.

thanx caroline
Which interface keeps changing, the internet one or you local Lan link ?
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 22:49   #12
caroline
cf.addict

the ip changes when i check the one thats connected to the router, changes to 169.254 etc
Old 07-04-2005, 22:51   #13
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
the ip changes when i check the one thats connected to the router, changes to 169.254 etc
169?

Have a read through this thread - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=18084
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote