Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Network won't work with SSID switched off

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Network won't work with SSID switched off

Old 26-03-2005, 16:24   #1
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Wireless Network won't work with SSID switched off

Hi Guys,

I've been trying to turn off the SSID broadcast on my wireless router, everything works ok until I reboot the laptop and then it can't find the wireless connection until I re-enable the SSID broadcast.

I'm using a Linksys WRT54G (as per my signature), anybody else come across this problem?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2005, 16:48   #2
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age
Re: Wireless Network won't work with SSID switched off

Yes, a laptop in my house has that same problem, but the other two computers don't
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 17:17   #3
darren
Inactive

darren is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm using a DI-614+ and also have the same problem under XP, but not using D-Links tools under older OSs. I don't like leaving it turned on but I've no choice
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 17:21   #4
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix

I dont see the need to hide the ssid..... dont you use WEP and MAC filtering??? if someone can get past both of those, there welcome to use my wireless connection
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 18:31   #5
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Some combinations just don't seem to handle it - I presume the client has the SSID - it may help to set it for the adapter, possibly to turn off the windows wizard mode altogether and apply all settings manually.

Apart from that, use a non-inviting, non-tempting SSID (the router name is not a great idea, as I now know that someone close to me has a belkin54g router), and apply WEP and MAC access control.

At least broadcasting SSID may help others to co-operate in channel allocation.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 10:59   #6
OldGeezer
Inactive

OldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enough

I leave on SSID broadcast on purpose.

As KingPhoenix and Matth say, if you're encrypted and have MAC access control on you're safe from intrusion, and by broadcasting SSID you're effectively notifying your neighbourhood of which channel you're using, so hopefully others will avoid it.
OldGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 13:11   #7
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

I have the same router and find exactly the same problem, to repeat just ensure that you have WEP and MAC address filtering on...Some of the "hacked" firmwares (I.e. Ones that enable SNMP etc) seem to fair better with it turned off but I am on the standard one at present...
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 19:48   #8
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

I have a similar problem with one of my systems.

I have the old Linksys WirelessB router and the built-in adapter on my Compaq laptop. This works fine with a hidden SSID. However, my new 'el cheapo' AMD wireless card will not connect to the hidden SSID what ever I try.

I've given up and gone back to just WEP and MAC filtering. Works for me - just like KP, Matth et al have said.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 10:03   #9
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Ok guys, thanks.

I've got MAC filtering and WEP set up anyway, just wanted to keep things hidden.

NVM, cheers.
Old 28-03-2005, 16:04   #10
Raistlin
Inactive

On a slightly different note, I'm going to be "touring" with my laptop for a few days next week and will probably want to connect it to the public access wireless network in a couple of places I will be staying.

I have ZA enabled on the laptop. Will this be sufficient for protecting the laptop while it's connecting to other access points? Also, because I've got a home network of a ocuple of machines I have file & printer sharing enabled for the wireless device in the laptop, should I unbind this from the TCP/IP connection before I go away? Will this be sufficiant to stop other people being able to see the shared drives/resources on the laptop?

Cheers.
Old 28-03-2005, 16:22   #11
TigaSefi
Inactive

TigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via MSN to TigaSefi

And another note is just brought a new linksys wireless as the bloke in the first post got and are these USB 2.0 wireless adapters up to the job for desktop pc's ? I dont fancy fishing out £50 per pci desktop wireless whatnots.
TigaSefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 16:43   #12
Raistlin
Inactive

£50?

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Name=linksys+pci
Old 28-03-2005, 16:56   #13
TigaSefi
Inactive

TigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
£50?

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Name=linksys+pci
Indeed, it at amazon for £33 free delivery so I got that there plus a usb 2.0 G adapter too. Just to test the water like. I just need one more for my Xbox but linksys got a dedicated gaming one.
Old 28-03-2005, 17:06   #14
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigaSefi
Indeed, it at amazon for £33 free delivery so I got that there plus a usb 2.0 G adapter too. Just to test the water like. I just need one more for my Xbox but linksys got a dedicated gaming one.
Dont buy it!

Buy the Linksys wireless bridge.... not their gaming adapter
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 17:07   #15
TigaSefi
Inactive

ok ok I just spent £150 on the initial wireless setup so I was gonna wait a week or so, so the bridge is what ?