Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cable TV Vs SKY

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cable TV Vs SKY
View Poll Results: Which is best
NTL 17 27.42%
Sky 45 72.58%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-03-2005, 11:42   #1
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
Cable TV Vs SKY

Now I know this has been done before but I dont care theres loads of new members whos opinion counts also.

My contract with NTL has ended and I'm thinking weather to continue the contract or try sky.

What do you think?
STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-03-2005, 11:49   #2
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
Re: Cable TV Vs SKY

I have never had Sky myself, but I have seen it around my friends house.

It is all round better. Crashes less, better picture, faster, more features (like Sky Sports Extra, and additional interactive content)

Admittedly, since I have got my Samsung box, a lot of these problems have got much better, but I don't think they are as good as Sky.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005, 11:57   #3
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Get Sky+ it rocks!

The EPG is also like a rocket by comparison to NTL and you can easily see what's on up to 7 days in front, the picture is far better.

All in all it is better in every aspect except these three below...

1) The implementation of favourite channels is not as good and NTL, you have to cycle through them as opposed to selecting the channel from a hand menu.

2) The fan on the back of certain Sky+ boxes can be quite loud - there are workarounds though.

3) Broadband - debatable point - but I would argue its easier to get broadband via NTL and although capped you get faster downloads.

Either way - given all the above I would take Sky+ every time.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005, 12:27   #4
Graham

Well I'm about to move and I'm going to switch over from NTL cable to Sky+ for TV, although I'm going to keep NTL for phone and broadband.
Old 21-03-2005, 12:27   #5
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Agreed that Sky+ is absolutely fantastic.

The only other thing I can currently see in Ntl's favour is the VoD. If it takes hold and gets more content or packaged content then possibly I could be back but for now it's Sky+ all the way.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005, 12:35   #6
STONEISLAND
Inactive

STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
Well I'm about to move and I'm going to switch over from NTL cable to Sky+ for TV, although I'm going to keep NTL for phone and broadband.
By the sounds of it I will do the same.
Old 21-03-2005, 13:11   #7
gary_580

Comparing Cable Tv with Sky isnt really a fair comparison on the basis that Cable TV providers have to buy from Sky and as a result have to offer sweeteners like the so called free line rental.
Old 21-03-2005, 13:47   #8
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Well I love sky +, and the interactive availability, however in NTLs favour there is VOD, I like the TVguide better(I can still see the TV will I am browsing) even though it only does 3 days. I also love the ability to re-arrange the channel order to my liking. to be honest I very rarely get any problems now with freezing or any thing like that.
Old 21-03-2005, 13:48   #9
Electrolyte01

I'm going for Sky here. Had Sky ever since the first systems came out (which had 2 boxes, one to receive the signal from the satelite and the other to change the channels) and just loved it. Sky+ is even better, the ability to record shows and listen to the broadcasts in 5.1 is just fantastic.
Old 21-03-2005, 14:25   #10
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
Comparing Cable Tv with Sky isnt really a fair comparison on the basis that Cable TV providers have to buy from Sky and as a result have to offer sweeteners like the so called free line rental.

dont think the op is bothered about the price , more of a case of which is better quality , which in my opinion is sky
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005, 14:45   #11
STONEISLAND
Inactive

http://www.sky.com/ordersky/channelpackages/

Just to get this right the £33 a month package is the one where you can record on the box plus watch the channels when you want
eg film starts a 10pm but you can request to watch at 6pm?

Sky+ box: Only £99

Sky+ 160 box: £399

Sky+ subscription: free while you subscribe to two or more of Sky Premium channels i.e. Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, Sky Movies 1 and Sky Movies 2, (otherwise £10 a month)

Whats the diffrense?
Old 21-03-2005, 15:11   #12
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

I would like to know though.... When we had Sky Analogue before we switched to NTL digital, the picture quality broke up quite often in bad weather.... Whats Sky Digital like compared with Sky Analogue for performance in bad weather?
Old 21-03-2005, 16:30   #13
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk4u
http://www.sky.com/ordersky/channelpackages/

Just to get this right the £33 a month package is the one where you can record on the box plus watch the channels when you want
eg film starts a 10pm but you can request to watch at 6pm?

Sky+ box: Only £99

Sky+ 160 box: £399

Sky+ subscription: free while you subscribe to two or more of Sky Premium channels i.e. Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, Sky Movies 1 and Sky Movies 2, (otherwise £10 a month)

Whats the diffrense?

you get sky mutistart , start every so often during an evening

size of the hard drive if i have read you right

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
I would like to know though.... When we had Sky Analogue before we switched to NTL digital, the picture quality broke up quite often in bad weather.... Whats Sky Digital like compared with Sky Analogue for performance in bad weather?
i personally have had very little problems with picture breakup in 5 odd years , a lot of the problems come about through poor installation
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005, 16:48   #14
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Thanks
Old 21-03-2005, 16:48   #15
punky
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
i personally have had very little problems with picture breakup in 5 odd years , a lot of the problems come about through poor installation
Thanx mate.

I hope someone from NTL DTV is watching this thread.... It must be really embarassing for them (especially on a NTL majority forum). Hopefully it might spur them on to make changes.

I would have Sky Digital, but when I tried to upgrade from Sky Analogue the installer said it couldn't be done as he couldn't get a clear enough signal, so we went to NTL and put up with it. Reading BlueRaja's other thread though, maybe I should have persevered with different installers. I don't think the official wanted to go near the roof.