Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband upload crashes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Broadband upload crashes

Old 24-01-2005, 16:22   #1
CaptainBarrett
Inactive

CaptainBarrett is an unknown quantity at this point
Broadband upload crashes

I've recently moved from the trusty, reliable ntl Cambridge hub to a slightly dodgy one in Cheshire.

My broadband connection is through my PACE1000 box, into my Linksys wireless g router. I've currently got the slowest broadband connection.

Occassionaly, when I'm sending large emails, or copying big files over vpn to the company server, I lose the internet connection. The digital tv still works okay, but I lose all my internet powers. I then have to reboot the stb, which can be a bit irritating on the fourth or fifth occassion .

As this never happened in Cambridge, could anyone give any hints or tips as to how to fix it? Technical support couldn't give me anything on the fly...

Cheers!
CaptainBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-01-2005, 19:32   #2
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Broadband upload crashes

Maybe you could try requesting a standalone cable modem (SACM) from ntl, instead of using the STB? IIRC, there are other people here who have got SACMs from ntl due to having poor BB using an STB.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 19:45   #3
rdhw
Inactive

rdhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBarrett
Occassionaly, when I'm sending large emails, or copying big files over vpn to the company server, I lose the internet connection. The digital tv still works okay, but I lose all my internet powers. I then have to reboot the stb, which can be a bit irritating on the fourth or fifth occassion
Well known problem with the old Pace boxes, and no known true fix. For a workaround, install a bandwidth-limiting application such as NetLimiter, and configure it so that your maximum upstream bandwidth demand is about 80% of your cable modem upstream rate cap. Then you won't drive the STB into its upstream cap, and all will be well.
rdhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 19:53   #4
CaptainBarrett
Inactive

CaptainBarrett is an unknown quantity at this point

An stb that wasn't designed not to fall over when uploading. The Ministry of Bad Design strikes again ;-) I'll give both a go.

Cheers!
CaptainBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote