Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Aurora! (The Northern Lights)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Aurora! (The Northern Lights)

Old 21-01-2005, 19:56   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Aurora! (The Northern Lights)

Did anybody else just see this:

This is the first time I've ever seen the Northern Lights, and here they are on my doorstep, not half an hour ago.

I guess you will have to have been in the northern half of the UK to have stood a chance, and probably in Scotland.

The picture was taken with my 4mpixel Minolta Dimage, in case any camera buffs are interested - manual setting, 15 seconds exposure, f4.6 - and balanced on an iron railing, seeing as my tripod is still packed somewhere!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-01-2005, 19:59   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Aurora!

Fantastic!!

You were lucky indeed to have seen this rare and beautiful sight.

Nice picture too.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 19:59   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

When I saw the thread title, I thought you were on about this, lol.

As for the Northern Lights...never seen them, but they are something I would like to see sometime.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 20:01   #4
Dumpty
Inactive

Dumpty is an unknown quantity at this point

Great pic Chris T

You were indeed very lucky to witness such a brilliant sight.
Dumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 20:02   #5
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

You just better hope you don't wake up blind in the morning

No I've never seen anything like this down here sure looks nice tho.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 20:02   #6
homealone

I can only imagine your thoughts on seeing that, Chris - how absolutely awesome

- thanks for sharing
Old 21-01-2005, 20:03   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D
When I saw the thread title, I thought you were on about this, lol.

As for the Northern Lights...never seen them, but they are something I would like to see sometime.
Wups ... good point, thread title edited ...
Old 21-01-2005, 20:05   #8
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
Re: Aurora! (The Northern Lights)

Pretty good at Eskdalemuir too:

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/weather...uir/index.html
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 20:12   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis
well, I'm glad I wasn't imagining it! When I first saw it, it was all green and I took it for high cloud reflecting the very bright moonlight. Then, to my astonishment, patches of it started to turn deep red.

Here's a couple more piccies:

The frustrating thing is, by the time I got the camera sorted out, the display was well past its best. The long exposure has allowed the camera to 'see' a lot more than was visible to the naked eye at the time I took the pictures.
Old 21-01-2005, 20:36   #10
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Seems to be lime green at Aviemore:

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/weather...ore/index.html

0 degrees is due North. Shame about the cloud.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 21:19   #11
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Those pictures are amazing.
You were really lucky to see such a lovely sight.
Its great you got it on camera too.

Halcyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 21:26   #12
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star

Yeah - thanks for taking the time to post the pics Chris - they are amazing. Another item to put on the 'list of things to see' list!
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 22:34   #13
aliferste
cf.mega poster

aliferste has reached the bronze age
aliferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to aliferste

WOW!!!

Where abouts were you?
Old 21-01-2005, 22:36   #14
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

Cloudy here where I am may go Bacup's little observatory thing in the remote areas later...
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 22:44   #15
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Wow. That must have been amazing. Like they say, The best things in life are free