Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Quick question - cable connection to the set top box...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Quick question - cable connection to the set top box...

Old 09-01-2005, 13:35   #1
danj1974
Inactive

danj1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Quick question - cable connection to the set top box...

Hi folks,
This is very simple question so I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to set me straight without the need for a lengthy call to ntl's customer services. Basically I'm decorating my living room and I want to relocate my stb to the other side of the room. However, the current cable which links the tv/fm isolator (small white box mounted on the interior wall) to the stb just isn't long enough (and I want to hide it behind new skirting boards).
So my rather simple question is - what sort of cable is this and can I just replace it myself? (i.e. should I unplug the stb first etc...) I guess the main reason I'm asking is because they have an unusal screw-type fitting and I'm a bit wary of fiddling with things I shouldn't be.

Hope you can help,

Dan
danj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2005, 13:50   #2
seaneeboy
Inactive

Services: NTL 4Meg BB, Family Pack, Phone
seaneeboy is just really niceseaneeboy is just really niceseaneeboy is just really niceseaneeboy is just really niceseaneeboy is just really niceseaneeboy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to seaneeboy
Re: Quick question - cable connection to the set top box...

Hiya,
Welcome to cableforum!

Err - I'd save yourself the bother and pay the £50 to get an installer* out to do it. Although it is possible there are a lot of problems that can crop up... and if you have any problems after it and someone has to come out to fix it you will be charged the £50 anyway...

*I've been told off by an engineer friend of mine not to call them engineers
seaneeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 15:05   #3
danj1974
Inactive

danj1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dam. That was what I was afraid of. It's a bit galling to pay for someone to come out just to fit a cable which is an extra 0.5m long, but it doesn't sound like it's that simple. I guess other options would be to house the stb in the same location and have extensions to the other connections (SCART etc - I've certainly got enough ethernet cable). Hmmm....

Cheers for your reply though, very helpful.

Dan
danj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 15:14   #4
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

hi and to the site , it is against the t&c's of your contract to fiddle with the cable , cause any problems and ntl may well have a , safer to work around it or pay up , btw , hope you enjoy your stay here
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote