Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL Broadband ZERO CAP Theory!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL Broadband ZERO CAP Theory!

Old 19-12-2004, 17:10   #1
coolape
Inactive

Services: NTL Phone, NTL Cable TV, NTL Broadband 10meg
coolape is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to coolape Send a message via MSN to coolape
NTL Broadband ZERO CAP Theory!

Well guys, I know im new, and I am one of those 24/7 gamers when i aint in college, and with chatting, uploading Large Graphic files for my website, photo's (slide films from my 35mm slr camera) and the smallest scan for a photo is about 4MB for a good scan, so can you imagine 4MBx36 frames? not to mention Graphic files nearly 20MB...

Linux ISO's, and everything,... im subscribed to the 1.5mbps package and my daily download is nearly 4 gigs maybe more...

But the phone line isnt under my name, and i dont think we were assigned any usernames to log onto the internet am I right? the only username we have is for us to access the ntl website(for upgrades, billing and etc), and email!

So that leaves me to beleive they cant monitor our account!, but what they can do is Monitor our IP, so each month they will monitor our IP and track down our MAC Address which each computer is assigned.

By doing so they will then find out accounts and monitor us through that way.
But since i hate having the same IP address every day i change my MAC Address and just turn off and turn on the modem and badabing badaboom, new IP.. anyways because this is getting real long and boring,
My theory is, NEW IP, YOU GET ANOTHER 30GB CAP, so what im saying is, just say u used 25Gigs of bandwidth on your IP, and got reassigned a new IP, you might just get another 30Gig?..

What do you guys think?
coolape is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2004, 17:13   #2
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone
Re: NTL Broadband ZERO CAP Theory!

Cunning... Must remember that one now (AFAIK) the registration is no longer tied to MAC address!
Old 19-12-2004, 17:17   #3
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

*Moved to Broadband Discussion forum*
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2004, 17:21   #4
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Nice theory.

Pity it's complete pants. Any monitoring will be done on the modems own Mac ID and not the one of any computer it's attached to.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2004, 17:32   #5
coolape
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzo
Nice theory.
Pity it's complete pants. Any monitoring will be done on the modems own Mac ID and not the one of any computer it's attached to.
So i was almost correct... alittle research, find out how to change ur modems mac id... do u think it might work dezzo?
Old 19-12-2004, 17:34   #6
JohnHorb

Now. now... I sense we are getting into dangerous ground here.
Old 19-12-2004, 17:37   #7
coolape
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb
Now. now... I sense we are getting into dangerous ground here.
talking about it isnt dangerous, it might just let NTL rethink what they're doing and start thinking of scrapping tha caps or increasing it to a larger amount for people who use the net everyday and for heavy use..

aslong as we dont discus "How to do it" and "dont do it ourselfs" we should be fine.
Old 19-12-2004, 17:40   #8
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Changing the MAC ID is possible. Although it would be a major breach of the T&C's and is probably the quickest way to get the service disconnected completely.

Also a modem won't work unless it has a properly registered Mac ID. Without it you can only get to a couple of websites.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2004, 17:48   #9
coolape
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzo
Changing the MAC ID is possible. Although it would be a major breach of the T&C's and is probably the quickest way to get the service disconnected completely.

Also a modem won't work unless it has a properly registered Mac ID. Without it you can only get to a couple of websites.
I was reading you signature, and you state that you work for NTL? is that true? what do you exactly do for NTL?

and by me changing my MAC id for my NIC card is that breaching the T&C? all i wanted was a new IP.
Old 19-12-2004, 18:03   #10
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolape
and by me changing my MAC id for my NIC card is that breaching the T&C? all i wanted was a new IP.
You could always pay for it with a business package instead of trying to get something for nothing...

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2004, 18:04   #11
JohnHorb

If you re-read the previous posts, there is nothing to stop you changing the MAC address on your NIC or router, which will get you a new IP address. What is NOT allowed, is changing the MAC address of the cable modem or STB, as this constitutes interfererence with NTL's equipment. (Am I right, dezzo?)
Old 19-12-2004, 18:05   #12
coolape
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb
If you re-read the previous posts, there is nothing to stop you changing the MAC address on your NIC or router, which will get you a new IP address. What is NOT allowed, is changing the MAC address of the cable modem or STB, as this constitutes interfererence with NTL's equipment. (Am I right, dezzo?)
I guess that does make sense ...
Old 19-12-2004, 18:15   #13
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolape
all i wanted was a new IP.
Why?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2004, 18:17   #14
coolape
Inactive

i am one of the operators in a hackers channel on irc, and alot of people dont like me very much. So i get alot of DDoS attacks, at one point my IP was attacked for almost 6 days, contacted ntl and they said they couldnt do anything.

From then on If i get attacked i just change my mac, turn off the modem, get a new ip. and ofcourse i get attacked again and again and i just change and change my ip.
Old 19-12-2004, 18:22   #15
JohnHorb

Good tactic, but have you considered the impact on whichever poor s.d gets allocated the IP you've released? (Not intended as a criticism, as I'm not sure what else you could do, but it could cause problems for others?)