Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | pipe in my area is full

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

pipe in my area is full

Old 13-12-2004, 01:43   #1
shibby
Inactive

shibby is an unknown quantity at this point
pipe in my area is full

seems that my neighbor wanted ntl and when they came to lay down the cable for her the pipe in the ground was full to the brim.
my dad went with them to and saw the pipe at the green box and you could see there was no hope in hell of getting any more cableing in.

i wonder what they did in the end, what could they of done?
shibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-12-2004, 02:13   #2
Graham

Re: pipe in my area is full

Called Dynorod?!
Old 13-12-2004, 10:29   #3
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Wrong sort of pipe
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 11:10   #4
SLM
Inactive

SLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud ofSLM has much to be proud of

The trouble with the ducting is if you live in say Salford which is a mostly 2 up 2 down terriced houses you find 99% of homes have at some point been with ntl, so the ducting will be very full, 1 thing ntl could do is an audit on all the homes in the area that have services now and which do not, then may be remove the cables that are no longer being used, a couple of things with doing this is that if you are only going to have telco it may not be worth ntl doing this as it takes a long time to "get" back the money they have spent on getting you connected, if you however are going to get full tv pacage, telco and 1.5 BB it may well be worth ntl doing the work.
SLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 11:24   #5
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

There are a few areas that have their ducting based on the misconception that the number of houses passed is the maximum number of properties that can be serviced. This falls down, particularly in university areas, where there are older Victorian properties that have been split into several flats.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 08:34   #6
andrew_wallasey
Inactive

andrew_wallasey is an unknown quantity at this point

Or when people have multiple feeds to the house or RG11.

I should think NTL would put extra ducting in, if the cab was not too far away from that ducting run. Put the problem then is everytime someone ordered they would need to have a new tee put in.
andrew_wallasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 10:54   #7
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibby
i wonder what they did in the end, what could they of done?
bit of oil or fairy liquid on the cable
Old 14-12-2004, 16:54   #8
poolking
Inactive

Services: Sky World 300k BB NTL Phone
poolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to poolking Send a message via MSN to poolking Send a message via Yahoo to poolking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
bit of oil or fairy liquid on the cable
Or vaseline?
poolking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 17:13   #9
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolking
Or vaseline?
KY Gel is said to make it slip in easier.
Old 14-12-2004, 17:42   #10
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Or even the propper stuff:

altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 17:44   #11
poolking
Inactive

Services: Sky World 300k BB NTL Phone
poolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to poolking Send a message via MSN to poolking Send a message via Yahoo to poolking

Pulling lubricant, hmm sounds dodgy.
poolking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 17:46   #12
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

*Ahem*
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 23:17   #13
andrew_wallasey
Inactive

andrew_wallasey is an unknown quantity at this point

We had oil put in the ducting so the cable would just go through easy. Whenvever they have to go a pull you end up with all over your wall round here.
andrew_wallasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 23:26   #14
ian@huth
Inactive

I can't understand doing all that digging to put cable in and not putting ducting in that more than satisfies projected requirements.

It would have been a good idea to take the opportunity of digging roads up once and putting in ducting with several channels that could be used by the various services.
Old 18-12-2004, 00:22   #15
Batfink
Inactive

Batfink is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately in most areas the network was designed for analogue, i.e RG6 drops pulled in, now people have multiple devices the drop cables are more of RG7 or 11, plus the lazycontractors are not removing the old drops on a re-pull, hence the problem.
Batfink is offline   Reply With Quote