Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Marriage pact?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Marriage pact?

Old 11-12-2004, 20:06   #1
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Marriage pact?

Does anyone know what the proper term is to describe that pact where two people decide that if they're both single by the time they're 40 (or whatever) they'll marry each other?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2004, 20:08   #2
jellybaby
Inactive

Services: VM VIP50
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
Send a message via AIM to jellybaby Send a message via MSN to jellybaby
Re: Marriage pact?

Lonely
jellybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 20:08   #3
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
Does anyone know what the proper term is to describe that pact where two people decide that if they're both single by the time they're 40 (or whatever) they'll marry each other?
Lunacy
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 20:12   #4
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

lol I know there's a specific expression for it, I just can't think what...

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 20:37   #5
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

betrothal ????????????
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 20:45   #6
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

lucky

I'm fast approaching 39, and I have said i'm not going to get married until after I'm 40.....

Well, to be honest, I have always said I'm going to get married when I can't manage to chase and catch the women anymore.
Old 11-12-2004, 21:10   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

I think it's normaly referred to as a "Fall-back Plan" or something like that.

I've got one with a girl that I work with.

We decided on the age of no return being 30, then we argued about who's 30th birthday, eventually we settled on mine (which suits me 'cause I'm older than she is).

Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 21:13   #8
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:

Desperation?

Contract?Vow?Promise?

Personally I never heard of such a pact having it's own particular expression.Shouldn't think it has any validity in law either.
Old 11-12-2004, 21:14   #9
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
I think it's normaly referred to as a "Fall-back Plan" or something like that.

I've got one with a girl that I work with.

We decided on the age of no return being 30, then we argued about who's 30th birthday, eventually we settled on mine (which suits me 'cause I'm older than she is).

Sweet! She got a sister?
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 21:14   #10
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

A bit of co-incidence here. A bit of googling gave this. The article is in Salon.com, the name of which which rang a bell with me. The editor of Salon.com is David Talbot and, guess what, David Talbot writes occasional articles for the Guardian.

PS And, no, I still haven't the faintest idea what the answer is to Russ' question.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 21:15   #11
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
Sweet! She got a sister?
I think she has but I'm not sure. If she has she's bound to be married / engaged already.

I think I might need to investigate this further, you can never have too many Plan Bs!!
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 22:43   #12
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze

pre nuptial agreement
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 13:41   #13
Seti
Inactive

Services: Being Nice!
Seti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these partsSeti is just so famous around these parts
Send a message via ICQ to Seti Send a message via MSN to Seti

Quote:
Awwwww Russ are you offering

Only joking !!

*SeTi^ runs from forum
Seti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 14:47   #14
aliferste
cf.mega poster

aliferste has reached the bronze age
aliferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to aliferste

I do not think there is a formal word for it. It is not as if anyone would be daft enough to actually do it anyway. Hardly a good base for a marriage really.
Old 12-12-2004, 15:10   #15
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Desperation ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote