Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Does this seem familiar to anyone?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Does this seem familiar to anyone?

Old 03-11-2004, 21:03   #1
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Does this seem familiar to anyone?

Anyone want to own up to this seeming familiar to them?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3965739.stm
The bit I found amusing:
Quote:
She did not take her children to the cinema during half-term because she could not find out which films were showing at the local cinemas.

She planned a trip to Norfolk but did not check the weather because the only place she knows to look for weather information is the BBC website.

And she did not know where to go fossil-hunting on the trip because she could not type "fossils Norfolk" into Google.
Obviously I don't know anyone like that
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2004, 21:04   #2
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Re: Does this seem familiar to anyone?

Glad to hear it Paul - someone like that must be really sad!
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 21:20   #3
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

I must say that BB is a part of my daily life in a big way. Info/news/entertainment etc......but that is a really sad woman--she could have looked in the papers for the info.....or used the phone
Old 03-11-2004, 21:53   #4
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
I must say that BB is a part of my daily life in a big way. Info/news/entertainment etc......but that is a really sad woman--she could have looked in the papers for the info.....or used the phone
gone to the Library ......

our council has had funding problems, recently

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/displ...entPK=11121954

Old 04-11-2004, 00:44   #5
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

There is an IT lesson that year 7 do.

They get a worksheet with 4 questions and they are then split into two groups.One half uses the library to try and answer the questions.The other half use the internet.

The question that usually foxes both of them is Where is the Sea of Tranquillity because the library group usually head for the atlas.Needless to say those on the internet answer the questions much faster than the ones using the library because even if they know which book to look in the poor things have never been taught to use an index.

Incog.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:26   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
The question that usually foxes both of them is Where is the Sea of Tranquillity because the library group usually head for the atlas.Needless to say those on the internet answer the questions much faster than the ones using the library because even if they know which book to look in the poor things have never been taught to use an index.
I don't need either to answer that, nor would I have, as a 12 year old. Astronomy was one of my interests, and I watched all the moon landings.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 01:30   #7
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
I don't need either to answer that, nor would I have, as a 12 year old. Astronomy was one of my interests, and I watched all the moon landings.
I know it's completely OT - but I just thought I'd say that I was considering ordering pick of the day for my boy

http://www.idealworld.tv/csp/isd/ideal/pod.csp

It's only £34.99 and coud well get him into telescopes. I know it's cheap and nasty, but he's not getting his hands on my telescope for a while yet.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 01:51   #8
Graham

I'm more interested in the comments:

"Of course, broadband in the UK is laughably slow compared to other parts of the world.

"In South Korea, Japan and Hong Kong normal connection speeds are measured in megabits, or millions of bits, a second rather than the thousands that we are supposed to be happy with."

When will our "service" providers get their acts together???
Old 04-11-2004, 07:42   #9
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
To the present year 7 the moon landings are part of boring history.
Old 04-11-2004, 19:27   #10
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

whats google?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 20:31   #11
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien
whats google?
You could always search google for the answer...
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 21:02   #12
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Anyone want to own up to this seeming familiar to them?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3965739.stm
The bit I found amusing:

Obviously I don't know anyone like that
Of course you don't....
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote