Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [merged] Returning something back...Questions..

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[merged] Returning something back...Questions..

Old 19-10-2004, 14:07   #1
bbwannabe
Inactive

bbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Returning something back...Questions..

Dear Sir,

Under the circumstances we are happy to accept the product back into stock subject to a re-stocking fee of 15%.

Please find attached label to use on your return. Print out and attach to your parcel. Please note the customer must back up all personal data, as ###### accepts no liability for any loss of software, as it may be necessary to re-install an operating system in order to repair.

We recommend that all parcels are sent †œsigned forââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚ with enough compensation for lost or damaged packages.

================

Ok scenario is im returning something back because it doesnt work properly maybe because its a voltage issue and my computer isnt compatible with it. Anyway, i wanna know what a restock fee is and whether it comes out from the refund amount.

What does it mean by signed for?.

In the terms it mentioned when returning things return it in its original box with packaging and stuff, do they mean the box for the actual product or the box that the product was put in and sent off in (which is like 6 times as large as the good, and i threw away the weird white things that cushion things dunno what its name is, forgot lol, but i hope they arent too specific).

How do i send it off back to them?

Sorry for the dim questions, first time returning something back. And ive got 6 days to do it...
bbwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-10-2004, 14:12   #2
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Re: Returning something back...Questions..

I don't know about 'restock fee', but I'd guess that the 'signed for' post would be either Recorded or Registered, which would mean that, if anything happened to the parcel / letter / whatever, you will be covered.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2004, 14:16   #3
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwannabe
i wanna know what a restock fee is
Because you have opened it, the company charge you a fee to restore it to new sale order, and repackage it, etc, or to sell it cheap as "open box". The fees are a rip off, but unavoidable these days.

Quote:
and whether it comes out from the refund amount.
Yes, you will get the original refund amount, minus the 15% fee. So you will only get back 85% of what you paid for it.

Quote:
What does it mean by signed for?.
It means special Delivery. When the delivery man arrives, someone has to physically accept the parcel and sign to show they have. It is to stop packets getting lost in mail sorting offices, etc, with noone knowing where they are, or if they seen them.

Quote:
do they mean the box for the actual product or the box that the product was put in and sent off in (which is like 6 times as large as the good, and i threw away the weird white things that cushion things dunno what its name is, forgot lol, but i hope they arent too specific).
Not the brown outside packaging, they only want the manufacturer's box. It wasn't good you threw away the styro-foam (the white fluffy things), but they are charging you 15% which should be more than enough for them to replace it.

Quote:
Take the manufacturer's box, and either wrap it in packing paper or another box. Print out that label you was e-mailed, and affix it to your box. Then take it to a post office and say you want it sent "Special Delivery", and make sure that you ask for enough insurance to cover the price of the item new.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2004, 14:20   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

A restock fee would IMO only be acceptable if the product is being returned because it was correctly supplied to you as you ordered it, but you have now decided you don't want it. That could include the fact that you inadvertently ordered the wrong thing. That it is being returned in original packaging, etc is because the vendor hopes to resell it again, but inevitably there is a cost to him of taking the item back, adding it into their stock list, etc. In some cases they may not be able to restock the item and sell it, as new, so they incur some costs for discounting the items when sold for the second time.

I would expect the cost of restocking to be deducted from and refund you get.

However any product supplied needs to be fit for purpose. Thus I would not expect any restocking fee if the product is faulty, or if it is incompatible because you ordered it based on what is displayed in the product's specifications.

Restocking fees are common, but should be covered by the readily available vendors terms and conditions.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2004, 14:22   #5
bob_builder
Inactive

Services: ntl digital basepack ntl 1M broadband
bob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Ok scenario is im returning something back because it doesnt work properly maybe because its a voltage issue and my computer isnt compatible with it. Anyway, i wanna know what a restock fee is and whether it comes out from the refund amount.
A restocking fee is taken of the refunded price so say you paid £100, you would get £85 returned to you with a 15% fee.

Quote:
What does it mean by signed for?
Some form of registered or recorded post where the compensation level is enough to cover the cost of the item if lost or damaged.

Quote:
In the terms it mentioned when returning things return it in its original box with packaging and stuff, do they mean the box for the actual product or the box that the product was put in and sent off in (which is like 6 times as large as the good, and i threw away the weird white things that cushion things dunno what its name is, forgot lol, but i hope they arent too specific).
I would imagine that they mean in the orginal commercial product box with all included packaging - how you package that box up into a parcel is then up to you as long as it is sufficently padded to prevent damage.

Quote:
Through the post to the address on the returns label.

Hope this helps.

It sounds like you may want to try and claim that the product is not fit for purpose if it is advertised to work with your computer and then you should not be subject to a restocking fee.
bob_builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2004, 14:31   #6
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

what he said, and remember you won't get your postage back either, so you get back 85% of the product cost, e.g product £100 plus £10 shipping, you will get a refund of £85 (£100-£15 restocking fee).

It's to cover the administrative expenses of returns of unwanted goods as we all want our original purchases to be as low as possible, there is no spare profit padding in there to run the refunds as complimentary, you pay for use of the return service now.

1st Class Recorded is insured by default to £28, so depending on the value of the product that may be adequate insurance.

If it does not work properly and you have not had it long you may be able to reject it under the distance selling regulations.

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20002334.htm
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2004, 14:31   #7
bbwannabe
Inactive

bbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replies.

They mentioned nothing about this restock fee in there returns section, cheeky sods. Maybe i should kick it in an make the restock price justifiable... (*evil thoughts*)

The good cost me about £200. How much is it gonna cost me to cover it through secure delivery??? :| since i threw the styrofoam away can i just mail it back in it's 6 times its size box and still get my money back. Or does it really need to be stuffed.

Will the post office have smaller boxes or styrofoam there?
Old 19-10-2004, 14:38   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

They mentioned nothing about this restock fee in there returns section, cheeky sods. Maybe i should kick it in an make the restock price justifiable... (*evil thoughts*)

The good cost me about £200. How much is it gonna cost me to cover it through secure delivery??? :| since i threw the styrofoam away can i just mail it back in it's 6 times its size box and still get my money back. Or does it really need to be stuffed.

I think Special Delievery or Registered Post has a £250.00 insured value at the base. Alternatively you can get increases at the post office. I'm sure some costs will be shown on www.royalmail.com

Any decent stationers and most good post offices, will be able to sell you packaging. It's not the vendor who is worried about what it is returned in, it's you. If the product gets damaged in the post, because you didn't provide protective packaging, you wont get a refund.
Old 19-10-2004, 14:38   #9
bbwannabe
Inactive

Could i just send it first class without special delivery?.
Only bad scenario i can think of is they say they dont get it but they do and refuse my refund... (of course it could get lost too or damaged but whats the chances of that happening really?? )
Old 19-10-2004, 14:46   #10
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

It's up to you how you return it, but can you afford to loose £200.00 ? It's probably going to cost a bit to post anyway, as it's heavier than a standard letter, so the added cost of Special Delivery is not a lot.

Can you afford the risk of not being able to proove the item has reached it's destination, so that you cannot proove the loss is with the vendor or post office.

If you have ever been anywhere near a royal mail sorting office you will understand the need to provide some protection to items. I don't think you need to be that over the Top though, a bit of bubble wrap could be sufficient.
Old 19-10-2004, 14:46   #11
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Only bad scenario i can think of is they say they dont get it but they do and refuse my refund... (of course it could get lost too or damaged but whats the chances of that happening really?? )
Personally I wouldn't risk it - I know it's going to put you out of pocket but, IMO, it's a huge risk.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2004, 14:47   #12
bob_builder
Inactive

bob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Well you could send it second class if you wanted but then if it gets lost or damaged you will get no refund and as it was not insured you will not be able to claim anything back from the post office.
Old 19-10-2004, 14:47   #13
bbwannabe
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedGoalPosts
I think Special Delievery or Registered Post has a £250.00 insured value at the base. Alternatively you can get increases at the post office. I'm sure some costs will be shown on www.royalmail.com

Any decent stationers and most good post offices, will be able to sell you packaging. It's not the vendor who is worried about what it is returned in, it's you. If the product gets damaged in the post, because you didn't provide protective packaging, you wont get a refund.
im not too clear yet on this insurance thing (apologies). Is this entirely optional but stilll possible to do a delivery where i can get a signature?
Old 19-10-2004, 14:50   #14
bob_builder
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

You will probably find you would then not get any refund as the goods probably have to be returned in an as sold condition.

Quote:

How big is the product - you could just put it in a Jiffy Bag.
Old 19-10-2004, 14:50   #15
bbwannabe
Inactive

lol, ok readying the replies i'll get some insurance on it.
So say 1st class special delivery, i bubblewrap it, stick it into a smaller box, label the address they sent me. And it weights no more than 2KG, how much do i need to pay to cover it?.