Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Leeds packet loss

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Leeds packet loss

Old 01-10-2004, 10:16   #1
ktbken
Inactive

ktbken is an unknown quantity at this point
Leeds packet loss

Has anyone else had packet loss problems in the Leeds area over the last few days? It only seems to affect certain routes via certain core routers. At the moment I am getting 70% packet lose to any routes that use 80.0.241.33. yet 80.0.241.169 is fine ?

Thanks
ktbken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2004, 11:23   #2
melt
Inactive

melt is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Leeds packet loss

I'm getting gobs of packet loss everywhere I try to get to from home in Leeds at the moment. I can just-about ping home from Uni in Leeds, and actually connecting in takes 2-3 minutes. It's awful and I hope it gets better...
melt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 11:27   #3
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis
Re: Leeds packet loss

Quote:
As part of the ongoing project to maintain and upgrade our cable network, there is a requirement to carry out work on components which may result in a loss of service for the duration.

On the morning of Tuesday 28th Sept between midnight and 6am, the following work will take place:-

Customers in Ipswich, Charminster, Bedford, Flitwick, Shepshed and Rutherglen will lose service due to local network upgrades.

On the morning of Thursday 30th Sept between midnight and 6am, the following work will take place:-

Due to various network maintenance upgrades, Ntl broadband internet customers may experience a loss of service in the Nottingham, Leeds, Andover, Warwick, Londonderry, and Papworth areas.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience these planned works may cause
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 11:32   #4
melt
Inactive

melt is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
issue from NTL status page
That ticket was closed yesterday afternoon...
melt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 12:23   #5
ktbken
Inactive

Nemesis
Are you saying that the work is still ongoing even though the call was closed yesterday? or do you just suspect that is the problem.

melt

Funnily enough I work at Leeds Uni and it is one of the only palces I can get to from home
Old 01-10-2004, 12:28   #6
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis

I know the ticket was closed .... but is it a coincedence that you have still got problems ??
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 14:13   #7
ktbken
Inactive

I suspect not.

But there have been quite a few problems on the network in Leeds recently. I and other people in the area lost connection completely for 2 days a couple of weeks ago due to a hardware fault. Itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s since then that this packet loss problem has started. Some times itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s all right and others like now and all day last Sunday itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s useless. Have rung CS they are there usual helpful selves and no nothing about the problem.
Old 01-10-2004, 18:32   #8
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

My modem has problems at the mo - sometimes the sync light goes off but the connection is fine , and other times the rdy light goes and the connection, er, isn't fine I can't be bothered dealing with NTL. If it gets worse I'll bite the bullet and play the rebooting game.

Which areas of Leeds? It's chav central, so chances are one of the little *******s has been in a cabinet.
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 20:36   #9
ktbken
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencreeper
Which areas of Leeds? It's chav central, so chances are one of the little *******s has been in a cabinet.
LS17 and its still running at more than 70% packet loss. Look like no online games for me again
Old 01-10-2004, 20:37   #10
lossypings
Inactive

lossypings is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Exactly the same problems here, approx 50% packet loss when passing to/through one particular router.

leed-t2core-a-ge-wan64.inet.ntl.com (80.0.241.41) 100% ok
leed-t2core-a-ge-wan61.inet.ntl.com (80.0.241.33) 50%'ish packet loss
leed-t2core-b-ge-wan61.inet.ntl.com (80.0.241.161) 100% ok
leed-t2core-b-ge-wan64.inet.ntl.com (80.0.241.169) 100% ok

So depending on where I want to head to, it'll either be fine, or very lossy.

Unfortunatley, where I want to go for gaming, is on the lossy router

Loads of ping plots to validate the above, is it worth sending them anywhere ?
Is it even worth ringing and moaning ?

This happenned last year to me, and after about 2 weeks of messing around (and being told it wasnt at NTL's end) the problem one day cured 'itself', and has been great since.

Oh well, <prays to the God of broadband for another self healing miracle>
lossypings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 20:40   #11
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbken
LS17 and its still running at more than 70% packet loss. Look like no online games for me again
Posh area then - chav free
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 20:48   #12
ktbken
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencreeper
Posh area then - chav free
I wish

Same router here 80.0.241.33 and also somtimes 80.0.241.41
For info if you want a good program to check routes graphically (you may be using it allready) you can get one for free called pingplotter which graphs the loss on each route.
All ready tried CS no joy dont seem to undersand that it may be a problem on the network and not my computer.
Old 01-10-2004, 21:25   #13
lossypings
Inactive

lossypings is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, already using Pingplotter (lovely prog).
Also in LS17.

I'm not having any problem at all with the .41, but I must admit I havent done any long term plots of that one, just concentrating on the .33.

I guess I'll report the error too, I suppose these things work on a critical mass effect. There is a presumption there is nothing wrong until many people complain about the same thing, and then it becomes a problem, which is then solved.
lossypings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 21:56   #14
quickly
Inactive

quickly is an unknown quantity at this point

I phoned NTL earlier today as i'm having the same problems in York (goes via Leeds routers). After an hour on hold the technican told me that 'they have some strange problems going on this morning'.

When i phoned back later they had added a message to the customer service line outlining that technicans were aware of problems and were trying to fix it.

How long does it take to fix a dodgy router???

As an aside, packet loss for me began shortly after midnight last night/this morning.
quickly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 22:11   #15
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

41 and 33 are the same routers. I spotted a bizarre problem first thing this morning with some of my kit that talks to Leeds, so it looks like a networks problem. Checking the same report now shows similar issues, so I'll need to get it raised anyway - I'll mention that customers are reporting problems too, and that it may be related to the routing issue that came up earlier (which wasn't ntl's fault, incidentally).
BBKing is offline   Reply With Quote