Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Intermittent connections STB Harrogate HG5

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Intermittent connections STB Harrogate HG5

Old 24-09-2004, 19:26   #1
lima
Inactive

lima is an unknown quantity at this point
Intermittent connections STB Harrogate HG5

Hmmmmmmmm.......

On the 1Mb service, all has been fine for past 12 months, swopped to Samsung a few weeks ago - all fine for past three weeks.

Last 3-4 days keep dropping connections. The service is racing along, then browsing gets slower and then the connection drops (both internet browsing AND email). Happens during the day but seems worse late afternoon and evening. I use a Manchester proxy as the Leeds ones are abysmal.

Had to reboot the STB (and router, in that order) to regain a connection 4 times in 30 mins tonight so rang the NTL support line. 35 mins later spoke to a technician who suggested it was my "2004 version of Norton AntiVirus at fault" (que?). If thats the case, how come it also affects my 2nd PC (I use a router to split the broadband signal) which runs NAV2003 at the same time ?!

Anyway, "no reported faults in your area" was the line BUT I have a mate in Derby who's getting same symptoms as me and a few posts here seem to suggest that all is not well with the NTL network at the moment.

Any ideas from the insiders!

Cheers

L
lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-09-2004, 19:29   #2
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
Re: Intermittent connections STB Harrogate HG5

hi and to the site , have you tried without a proxy would be my first port of call
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 19:59   #3
markmarkymark
Inactive

markmarkymark has a spectacular aura about themmarkmarkymark has a spectacular aura about themmarkmarkymark has a spectacular aura about themmarkmarkymark has a spectacular aura about them

Hi and welcome too !

Similar in Reading this week. Needs everything turning off and then on again before getting a connection can be made again. I have tried proxy changes with mixed results - but once everythings dies there is nothing other than a reset required

M
markmarkymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 20:28   #4
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lima
Hmmmmmmmm.......

On the 1Mb service, all has been fine for past 12 months, swopped to Samsung a few weeks ago - all fine for past three weeks.

Last 3-4 days keep dropping connections. The service is racing along, then browsing gets slower and then the connection drops (both internet browsing AND email). Happens during the day but seems worse late afternoon and evening. I use a Manchester proxy as the Leeds ones are abysmal.

Had to reboot the STB (and router, in that order) to regain a connection 4 times in 30 mins tonight so rang the NTL support line. 35 mins later spoke to a technician who suggested it was my "2004 version of Norton AntiVirus at fault" (que?). If thats the case, how come it also affects my 2nd PC (I use a router to split the broadband signal) which runs NAV2003 at the same time ?!

Anyway, "no reported faults in your area" was the line BUT I have a mate in Derby who's getting same symptoms as me and a few posts here seem to suggest that all is not well with the NTL network at the moment.

Any ideas from the insiders!

Cheers

L
Try removing the manual proxy and see if that improves matters.
If you are still struggling, try choosing some others at random from this list:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/kb/84/li...ers-new-format
Old 24-09-2004, 20:39   #5
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Fire me your MAC address and I'll see if anything appears wrong at a glance.
BBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 20:51   #6
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
Fire me your MAC address and I'll see if anything appears wrong at a glance.

without trying to sound funny , take advice from the mods of this site before you give mac addresses or i.p.'s to anyone asking for them , @BBKing i am not suggesting that you are in any way dodgy just giving a cautionary warning out
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 21:07   #7
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
without trying to sound funny , take advice from the mods of this site before you give mac addresses or i.p.'s to anyone asking for them , @BBKing i am not suggesting that you are in any way dodgy just giving a cautionary warning out
that's good advice, Paul, new members may not know that e.g. BBK is to be trusted with that stuff, they should always clear it with a mod
Old 24-09-2004, 21:27   #8
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Quote:
@BBKing i am not suggesting that you are in any way dodgy
You haven't seen how I dress. I look like I should be sitting under a bridge drinking meths out of a paper bag.

Anyway, lima, I do work for ntl, and am to be trusted as much as the next monkey (see other threads).
BBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 21:39   #9
homealone

Quote:
You haven't seen how I dress. I look like I should be sitting under a bridge drinking meths out of a paper bag.

Anyway, lima, I do work for ntl, and am to be trusted as much as the next monkey (see other threads).
how many times have I told you, drink the meths through the paper bag, it filters out the broken glass
Old 24-09-2004, 21:40   #10
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age

You work for NTL now? I have been away a long time. What happen to your proud "I don't work for NTL, I'm just on contract"?
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2004, 00:17   #11
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Anyway, lima, I do work for ntl

Indeed he does
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2004, 09:05   #12
lima
Inactive

lima is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys, and thanks so much for the advice and offers of help. Couldn't believe I had 10 replies when I logged in this morning

Anyway, went out last night (well it was Friday!) and this morning (I'm just going to touch some wood) all seems well..... However, the dropouts seem to occur during the day intermittently and worse after 5 pm so lets see what happens.

I have tried running without specifying a manual proxy and I find surfing slower than with a manual proxy. However I've now made sure I'm on one that is specified on the list that Mark B linked to.

BB, I've PM'd you with my MAC address - many thanks for your offer of help. A large crate of meths will follow if you can get to the bottom of this

This is one great resource!

I'll keep you all updated on performance......
lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2004, 15:28   #13
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by lima
Last 3-4 days keep dropping connections. The service is racing along, then browsing gets slower and then the connection drops (both internet browsing AND email).
Note the AND email bit gents, not proxy methinks.

lima, if BBKing hasn't gotten back to you feel free to PM me an IP address / MAC address and will check it out, just in case Mr King is busier than normal!
Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote