Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | domain name registration

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

domain name registration

Old 22-06-2003, 02:29   #1
aliferste
cf.mega poster

aliferste has reached the bronze age
aliferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to aliferste
domain name registration

I have decided to dive into the world of having a domain name. Can people recomend good companies that they have used or ones to aviod....thanks. I will need web forwarding, and um im not sure what else
aliferste is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-06-2003, 02:30   #2
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
123 Reg are quite good.
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 09:26   #3
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age
www.easily.co.uk will get you a .co.uk domain for 2 years for £10.

www.34sp.com will provide hosting for £15 pound a year, for that you get:

30 meg webspace
1 mysql database
PHP
CGI
Fronpage Extensions
10 pop3 email addresses
.............and more just can't remember all of it.

Jon
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 09:45   #4
dd2k
Inactive

dd2k is on a distinguished roaddd2k is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to dd2k
i reccomend 123reg.co.uk or xreg.co.uk
but stay clear of easyspace.com and oneandone.co.uk
dd2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 10:07   #5
poolking
Inactive

Services: Sky World 300k BB NTL Phone
poolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to poolking Send a message via MSN to poolking Send a message via Yahoo to poolking
I use freeparking.co.uk to park my domains, but buying domains through them can be a bit expensive.
poolking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 11:04   #6
willie
cf.geek

Services: VM 200mb VM Phone M
willie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these parts
Send a message via MSN to willie
Some that i have used in the past i can recommend the top ones but the last one i would avoid
www.enom.com
www.godaddy.com
www.s-whs.co.uk
www.ukreg.com
Each of the above come with ther own contriol panel for managing your domains and a easy to use interface.
the last one i have used but never again would be
www.dk3.com
willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 11:26   #7
Stuart W
Inactive

Services: BroadBand 4M
Stuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Stuart W
DON'T use getdotted.com from Special Reserve / Freeola.

It is nice and cheap and comes with usefull features, but they don't guarantee to be able to 'keep' your files! They do *NO* backup for mail or websites.

I set a site up for a friend of mine on Freeola (his choice) and he lost the whole site 3 times in 6 mths. You also HAVE to use their dial-up to upload
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 12:28   #8
distortal
Inactive

distortal is an unknown quantity at this point
123-Reg, but if you get a .com you may get Spam straight away.

Edit: BTW, Sam Hoyle at 123-Reg doesn't mind you calling him at 10pm with technical questions. What a guy!
distortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 13:14   #9
Temporal
Inactive

Temporal is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Temporal Send a message via AIM to Temporal Send a message via Yahoo to Temporal
Freeparking works for me - excellent service.
Temporal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 22:51   #10
wunderlust
(Invalid eMail, Account Suspended)

wunderlust is an unknown quantity at this point
I use www.easydns.com mainly for email server (NTL's being what it is) and ftp, more expensive than the others I think but updates real quick, back email server etc.. and never had a problem with them - rock solid
wunderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2003, 13:54   #11
Peter
Inactive

Peter is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.namecheap.com when I feel cheap.

I normally use http://www.firevision.net
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2003, 14:23   #12
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of
Yup, I'll go with Temporal on this one, http://www.freeparking.co.uk
and they have fast & great support
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2003, 14:51   #13
cjll3
Inactive

cjll3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
123-reg.co.uk gets my vote
cjll3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2003, 15:18   #14
Marcus_Tandy
(Invalid eMail, Account Suspended)

Marcus_Tandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Marcus_Tandy Send a message via Yahoo to Marcus_Tandy
I used 123 reg for my domain name registration. Very good as well as having a pic of a babe on there main page. But shes not as nice as my Pilar.
Marcus_Tandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2003, 19:44   #15
CuddlesTC
Inactive

CuddlesTC is an unknown quantity at this point
I use 123 reg as well. A little word of warning though if you ever want to transfer ownership of a name - I thought I had done so using 123's systems, but found out months later that all I'd done was transfer *control* of the domain, and I still owned it. In the intervening time, Nominet had introduced a £30 charge for transferring ownership, and as neither I nor my ex-partner (who I'd handed the domain over to) were prepared to pay that, I still technically own it while he runs it.
CuddlesTC is offline   Reply With Quote