Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Network Status - HELP anyone?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Network Status - HELP anyone?

Old 11-09-2004, 00:32   #1
Fidney
Inactive

Fidney is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Network Status - HELP anyone?

I've been having intermittent problems with my broadband connection since April this year. My latest problem has been the worst to date - my connection died on Tuesday evening and is still out (I'm on my backup dial-up account at the mo).

I have reported this, but each time I am transferred to faults to book an engineer I am told hat their system is down and that if I leave my number someone will contact me tomorrow. They said that on Wednesday and again on Thursday. They lied! On Friday they took 55 minutes to answer my call and by then it was even too late to connect me to faults as they finish at 8pm. Grrrrr.

Anyway, on a previous visit the engineer told me to press page up, page down and then the blue button on my digital cable TV remote control to see the network status. When I do this I get three pages of info called Network Status 1, 2 and 3, then a fourth page called "Even Log".

Is anyone familiar with these pages, and can they tell me what the chuff it all actually means?

Thanks in advance.
Fidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2004, 00:43   #2
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
Re: Network Status - HELP anyone?

hi and to the site , it sounds to me as though you have been fobbed off , ring em up again and ask to speak to a super if you get no joy
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:00   #3
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Those page up page down blue screens are a small set of diagnostics. I have a larger set that I can look up if you give me your MAC address or smart card number.
BBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:02   #4
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Hello Fidney and to the forums.

All I can suggest is you PM BBK you mac number which is on a label found underneath the modem.. He has a wonderful tool that can find out whats happening to your connection. If anyone can tell you BBK is your man...
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:14   #5
Fidney
Inactive

Thanks for the warm welcome to these forums and thanks to BBKing for the offer of help. I have sent you a PM.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 11-09-2004, 15:04   #6
BBKing
R.I.P.

BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star

Got it - you seem to be offline alright...

Since you've got an STB, I can find where you are in the HFC from that - give me the smart card number or MAC from that and I'll look.
Old 11-09-2004, 15:19   #7
Fidney
Inactive

BBKing m8 - an ntl engineer has just spent the last 30 minutes running between my front door and the green box at the end of the street and the good news is that I'm back.

It's amazing what ringing up and and demanding to talk to a Team Leader can do - for the second time - the first time they "accidently" cut me off trying to transfer me. Didn't get to speak to him/her the second time, but maybe there was something in my voice that got across the mood I was in... Anyroad - within 2 hours of calling the engineer was knocking on my door.

Apparently "the box" in my garage was faulty. He replaced some silver coloured thingamyjig and voila - Fidney has returned to full service!

Yaaaay!!!!!!

I love broadband (most of the time!!!).

Thanks very much for your help.
Old 11-09-2004, 15:27   #8
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidney
BBKing m8 - an ntl engineer has just spent the last 30 minutes running between my front door and the green box at the end of the street and the good news is that I'm back.

It's amazing what ringing up and and demanding to talk to a Team Leader can do - for the second time - the first time they "accidently" cut me off trying to transfer me. Didn't get to speak to him/her the second time, but maybe there was something in my voice that got across the mood I was in... Anyroad - within 2 hours of calling the engineer was knocking on my door.

Apparently "the box" in my garage was faulty. He replaced some silver coloured thingamyjig and voila - Fidney has returned to full service!

Yaaaay!!!!!!

I love broadband (most of the time!!!).

Thanks very much for your help.
Good to hear they have sorted out your problem, stay around for a while and join the community we don't bite honest..
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 15:36   #9
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits
Good to hear they have sorted out your problem, stay around for a while and join the community we don't bite honest..

maybe just nibble now and again

good to see your problem is sorted
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 15:56   #10
BBKing
R.I.P.

So you are - uptime 50 minutes. Nice to have you back with us