Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | XBOX Live Disconnections - Basingstoke

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

XBOX Live Disconnections - Basingstoke

Old 01-09-2004, 08:30   #1
mattyduk
Inactive

mattyduk is an unknown quantity at this point
XBOX Live Disconnections - Basingstoke

For the last 2 week2, I've have disconnections when using xbox live. I can be playing a live aware single player game and it will suddenly disconnect (R6:BA informs you of this as soon as it happens). In addition, when hosting, the game has suddenly disconnected. Last night when connected to another a friendslist hosted game (also on NTL), we were experiancing echo on the voice comms. This stopped as soon as I disconnected.

The majority of the time,it seems that the modem is not rebooting, just losing a connection at some point.

I am using wireless but nothing has changed on this config for over a year, and I haven't introduced any additional conflicting wireless devices.

Downloading seems fine from the PC (also connected wirelessly, but never on when using xbox live).

What things can i check ?

First of all, should I check the log and see how often the modem is rebooting.
Can someone remind me of the acceptable powerlevels for the downstream/upstream.

I am on 1.5mb using a motorola surfboard. Any more info I can provide, then just reply.
mattyduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2004, 08:35   #2
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Re: XBOX Live Disconnections - Basingstoke

The thing you need to do is remove all your wireless kit (ntl probably wont help you until you do) & be 100% sure that none of that is contributing to the problem-just because you haven't had a wireless issue in the past doesn't mean you don't have one now.

BTW-Have you actually rung Tech Support about this?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:05   #3
mattyduk
Inactive

I haven't rung technical support yet, as there are a few things (as you have mentioned), that I can try myself first.

Can someone remind me what the "safe" signal strengths are for a motorola cable modem ?

I'll try xbox live without wireless at the weekend, as you say, to discount that potential problem.
Old 01-09-2004, 21:56   #4
mattyduk
Inactive

had the xbox connected to LIVE this evening for 3.5 hours, and then finally got a disconnection.

I noticed that the downstream power was -2 when I came home, just after the disconnection, was -5.

The modem didn't reboot during this disconnection as I was able to reboot the xbox and reconnect at once. So it seems just a momentary disconnection, but something I wasn't having two weeks ago.

I need to test without the router/wireless option and report back.
Old 01-09-2004, 21:59   #5
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

What make/model router are you using?

I used to get random disconnections with my old (wired) Linksys BEFSR41, 'till I changed the firmware.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:42   #6
mattyduk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D
What make/model router are you using?

I used to get random disconnections with my old (wired) Linksys BEFSR41, 'till I changed the firmware.
Linksys befw11s4, but I upgraded the firmware a couple of months ago.

The problem seems to occur later in the evening. Looking at the config of the cm, the downstream powerlevels seems to be fluctuating quite a bit well. I'm going to try a non wireless solution over the weekend.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much, but this problem appears to have coincided with the move to 1.5mb

I can't call technical support, because despite the fact that I contribute £600.00 a year to NTLs bank account, they will not speak to me about xbox live problems because I don't subscribe to the "additonal service".
Old 07-09-2004, 08:51   #7
mattyduk
Inactive

Got disconnected again last night and over the weekend.

Whilst the lights remained lit, on the cm, I wasn't getting any Internet connection, and on checking the CM diags, it said my downstream power was 0

Rebooted everything but still no luck. This has been going on since my 1.5mb upgrade.

This morning, the third light on the cm is flashing, which is even worse. I'm now going to ring CS.
Old 07-09-2004, 13:29   #8
mattyduk
Inactive

Spoke to TS (only a 10 minute wait, which was good), but they've told me they can't run a scan on my thorough modem/line until the problem reoccurs.

I did tell them it was an intermittant problem, that it suddenly drops out, and can then be ok, but basically next time it happens, I've got to ring them.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:21   #9
mattyduk
Inactive

Well, the online greenlight started flashing last night, so called TS. The guy ran some tests and concluded all was NOT right, and that an engineer would have to come out.

They should hopefully ring me today,
Old 08-09-2004, 13:24   #10
avit
Inactive

avit is an unknown quantity at this point

good luck on them ringing you back ive been waiting 5 days now for them to ring me
avit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 13:42   #11
mattyduk
Inactive

well they had better ring me back today, otherwise I will simply cancel 600 pounds per annum worth of service.

Yesterday I got my BT line reconnected, just in case
Old 09-09-2004, 07:09   #12
mattyduk
Inactive

well surprise, surprise they didn't ring me !

Looks like I have to waste more of my valuable time chasing NTL again !

They have 3 days to fix it, if not bye bye.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:38   #13
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyduk
well surprise, surprise they didn't ring me !

Looks like I have to waste more of my valuable time chasing NTL again !

They have 3 days to fix it, if not bye bye.
*Sigh*

What a surprise (not)

You knew you wouldn't get a call.

no matter what people say, ntl still have the same core problems they have had in the last 6 or seven years-lame.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:46   #14
mattyduk
Inactive

Yep, and supposedly its my fault as they say its 48 hours before you get a call not 24. Great customer service !

Anyway, the tech guy say he would book and engineer for me, but 5 minutes later, without any warning he just put me through to the faults department. They said they couldn't help me as their systems were running slow (I know the bloody feeling !!!), and that they would call back, and that if I hadn't heard within 24 hours to contact them again !!!

I said I would ring back in an hour !!!

Do NTL carry out engineer work at weekends ?
Old 09-09-2004, 11:34   #15
poolking
Inactive

Services: Sky World 300k BB NTL Phone
poolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to poolking Send a message via MSN to poolking Send a message via Yahoo to poolking

Quote:
Originally Posted by avit
good luck on them ringing you back ive been waiting 5 days now for them to ring me
During this time have you actually called NTL back?
poolking is offline   Reply With Quote