Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL seeks STB beta testers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL seeks STB beta testers

Old 16-08-2004, 18:10   #1
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
NTL seeks STB beta testers

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/foru...splay.php?f=61

and

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/...d.php?t=148957
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-08-2004, 18:21   #2
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age
Re: NTL seeks STB beta testers

/signs up

Thanks for posting that altis!
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2004, 21:40   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Cheers Altis

NB - Off topic posts have been removed from this thread. The thread is about an STB trial, not about who is running it. The person running the trial is *not* the same "Ashley" from nthellworld.com - that was "AshleyG". Please keep on topic.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 10:20   #4
AshleyJ
Inactive

AshleyJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Also, it's not a trial, it's beta testing which is something quite different.

A trial is when we think the code is fit for release and we want a limited last check. Beta testing is part of development where we know that bugs exist but need important feedback from real users.

Hope this clears it up.

Cheers

AshleyJ
AshleyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 10:39   #5
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyJ
Hi

Also, it's not a trial, it's beta testing which is something quite different.

A trial is when we think the code is fit for release and we want a limited last check. Beta testing is part of development where we know that bugs exist but need important feedback from real users.

Hope this clears it up.

Cheers

AshleyJ

So what happens if you release something to someone and you totally screw up their service for a period of time?
Old 17-08-2004, 11:04   #6
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
So what happens if you release something to someone and you totally screw up their service for a period of time?
isn't this a risk that you take when you agree to beta test something...?
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 11:23   #7
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybreath
Exactly! And you'll be expected to report accurately any problems that you find.

Don't knock it. I think this is an excellent idea. It should reduce the misery for the masses and it's our opportunity to really contribute.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 11:30   #8
AshleyJ
Inactive

Quote:
This is a risk of being part of the Beta Team. I ask everybody who has doubts to think long and hard about whether they really want to risk loosing services.

It's voluntary and a risk of short term problems could pay off with long term improvements.

AshleyJ
Old 17-08-2004, 12:26   #9
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

I'll definitely sign up for this. Does this apply to Langley users, Bromley users or both?
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 12:32   #10
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybreath
Well under your definition of beta testing i wouldnt want to beta test any critical systems (e.g. medical)

My point was if you lose the service because of the test how long till you get it back?
Old 17-08-2004, 13:06   #11
seaneeboy
Inactive

Services: NTL 4Meg BB, Family Pack, Phone
seaneeboy is just really niceseaneeboy is just really niceseaneeboy is just really niceseaneeboy is just really niceseaneeboy is just really niceseaneeboy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to seaneeboy

But this isn't a critican system - it's cable TV

I would imagine that depends on what causes the loss of service - If you can provide feedback on what causes a loss of service I'm sure they'd respect your wish to withdraw from the trial and reinstall the old software on your STB... you'd have to work that out as part of the T&C of the beta test though.
seaneeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 13:35   #12
AshleyJ
Inactive

Quote:
Well under your definition of beta testing i wouldnt want to beta test any critical systems (e.g. medical)

My point was if you lose the service because of the test how long till you get it back?
This is a typical 'piece of string' question. If your box doesn't work at all then you would want to go back to the live software, but if maybe one channel was knocked out then you might live with it for a week or two.

If you have any doubts about whether you could live without some services, then you should maybe not join.

AshleyJ
Old 17-08-2004, 13:59   #13
Nutty
Inactive

Nutty is on a distinguished roadNutty is on a distinguished road

I've signed up. I hope its VOD testing..
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 14:04   #14
bigitup_j
Inactive

Services: VM Phone, TV and 20mb Broadband
bigitup_j will become famous soon enoughbigitup_j will become famous soon enoughbigitup_j will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to bigitup_j Send a message via Yahoo to bigitup_j

same here (and i've signed up!), now that would be brill!
bigitup_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 14:25   #15
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Ashley - I assume I can sign up just one of my STB's (I have three).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote