Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dynamic DNS behind a router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Dynamic DNS behind a router?

Old 04-08-2003, 11:52   #1
The_real_dj
Inactive

Services: 40 MB Sky BB with telephone and skyHD for TV :)
The_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really nice
Dynamic DNS behind a router?

Are there any dynamic dns services that work with a router??

If im using dynadns or somthing like that i can guess it would try and set my IP to somthin like 192.168.10.1

Any help would be appricated!!

Cheers

DJ
The_real_dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2003, 12:56   #2
philip.j.fry
Inactive

philip.j.fry has reached the bronze age
philip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze age
I'm not entirely sure what you are after, but most routers offer a DHCP server to dynamically assign ip addresses to computers on the local network (i.e. your home machines). Alternatively you could turn this off and use a machine connected to he router running a dhcp server. both ways lead to th same result.

Your addresses would be something like 192.168.xxx.xxx, they could be different but this is the most common range. (class c network iirc)
philip.j.fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 14:59   #3
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
I think you are barking up the wrong tree there Philip.

Some routers, I'm not sure which ones, can automatically update a dynamic DNS service when they are connected to the net. This allows you to map a global domain name onto a local machine even though you might have a variable IP address.

According to the menu, my SMC router supports: DynDNS.org(Dynamic); DynDNS.org(Custom); TZO.com and dhs.org. I've never used it and I don't know about any other routers either.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 17:34   #4
willie
cf.geek

Services: VM 200mb VM Phone M
willie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these parts
Send a message via MSN to willie
Most will work ok with a router all you will need to do is to configure the router correctly there should be a setting in the router config called DMZ you can set this so that the specific ip that was assigned by the router can be used by the dyydns service as an example setting .

use DMZ for ip address (this would be your ip address from isp) next you would enter the ip address assigned by the router. something like 192.168.0.222
willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 18:30   #5
philip.j.fry
Inactive

philip.j.fry has reached the bronze age
philip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze age
Ooops yes sorry, serve me right for trying to reply when still half asleep. Configuring dyndns shouldn't be too much of a problem, you can try the dmz as junkie says, although wouldn't you need 2 ip's from the isp in order for this to work correctly? The other option is to use port forwarding to send all the traffic through to the correct port. There's probably software that gets the wan ip to update the dyndns entry around.
philip.j.fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 19:30   #6
The_real_dj
Inactive

The_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really nice
thanks all!! i have setup the main pc ip address as the dmz and when i run dyndns it picks up the WAN ip!!!

I dont know why or how but it works!!!

Cheers!!
Old 04-08-2003, 21:14   #7
cjll3
Inactive

cjll3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
You shouldn't need to put your computer into the DMZ unless you are running a client automatically on your computer.

If you use the manual account management system for dyndns it should detect you ntl IP address not the internal network address.
cjll3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 21:21   #8
The_real_dj
Inactive

mmm it still works out of the DMZ but now my remote desktop and ftp server work!!! so i will leave it in there!!

Lets hope my Norton Firewall can take the beating!!