Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [merged] Connection Problems PE27 3 (& Cambridgeshire)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[merged] Connection Problems PE27 3 (& Cambridgeshire)

Old 13-08-2004, 02:01   #1
stuG
Inactive

stuG is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry [merged] Connection Problems PE27 3 (& Cambridgeshire)

Been offline much since friday last week, have talked to TS/CS on many many occasions and it seems the engineers are looking into this and appear to have been since monday. In my experience going into my second week without internet access I will just outright cancel the service. But something does puzzle me about how this is working.

Phoned NTL to report fault ... get treated like a numpty. But do EVERYTHING they say. Still no go.. Phoned again later. Still nothing reported in the area (even though I am not the only one suffering FACT).

Finally get bothered around sunday phone again to be told .. Engineers do not work weekends.. (gee 999 .. sorry you can't call cos NTL dont work weekends) anyway i will move on .. I am told my fault request/report has been cancelled and NTL will be looking into the issue. Ok i think ... ill be sorted soonly..

Carry on until monday (thinking engineers will actually be at work),, still no reported issues until 4pm for my area. Ok, so now it will be fixed right. Wrong. OK maybe now it will get fixed.

Tuesday comes .. I phone up enquire as to if it will be fixed now knowing full well nothing appears to have worked so far. I am told there is no outstanding faults for my area. WTF. I make another polite enquiry and yes there is a fault in my area.. whooopeee. Engineers are looking to fix a resolution and should be ok for Wednesday.

Left NTL alone for all of wednesday. And phoned thursday. Get 1 persion to speak to and they tell me. They will raise a fault report but in his opinion it will only get deleted as there is still a reported fault in my area.

If anybody has any ideas how to terminate ntls contract and fast please let me know because for a cummunications company not to have faults fixed over a weekend is slightly offbase imho. Also why are faults deleted by engineers without actually attending the users or phoning to confirm they can be.

I have made 3 fault reports and 3 have been deleted. Its beyond a joke. I have had my fair share of issues but I used to support NTL in many things and even recommend them. This is no more.

I was offered by one poor lass in CS 1 month free but I declinded the offer until after this is fixed and based on subsequent chats I will be not taking there offer up.

I have tried to be calm to all people I have spoken to but this is a joke ... Why is faults being deleted even if they are not resolved.

stuG - very unhappy duracell right now
stuG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2004, 03:37   #2
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Re: Connection Problems PE27 3

Hi,

Try CS and TS again later today.
Have all the usual info to hand: times, dates, etc. Also the names of anyone you have spoken to already. Let the person on the other end absorb your problem before thay are pressed for an ansnwer. If they can't help you then politely ask them for a suggestion of who can.

It sounds as though you've already done all of that, but give it another try?

Be really calm and open to suggestions.

Sorry if I've just stated the bl***** obvious.
Caff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 07:34   #3
stuG
Inactive

scuzz, thank you for responding.

However I have tried that and actually got 1 person that is helpful and about 4 people sympathetic to my problem. It still does not get me anywhere as they are "still looking into the problem"

As I said engineers do not work weekends so the time when I probably use the connection the most is again offline with no likelyhood of it being fixed. There people in my area that are connected quite happily and they do not have the issue.

The bit that annoys me the most is .. I phoned on friday and saturday to report my plight and I know others did also and reading the forum there are other people suffering from similar issues but seems to be isolated to a few individuals. Why oh why not try and fix them rather than a blanket "looking into the problem". surely its a matter for collating some information and saying ok. We can fix your problem but we think you are having similar problems as a few people in your area. What would you like us to do?.

I have had everything from engineers looking at your line to New cable modem. But as the calls keep getting cancelled and engineers not working weekends I am in a bind. It is more like NTL are self terminating the contract of supply by not resolving the issue.

How long is an acceptable period to go without a service you pay for and have not the ability to use because of a fault with the service equipment. One for the lawyers I guess.

Open to suggestions I have at last count based on TS/CS calls rebooted the modem 28 times in a 3 day period, this got beyond a joke but I did it anyway because the guy on the end of the phone has his job to do and at the end of the day if it actually work then great.

I am on the network but I can not do anything, look at webpages or download anything at greater than 1mb in size without the connection dying. Any call that results in a fault report being raised will not get actioned the TS guys told me this is the case. So I am lost as to where to go next.
Old 13-08-2004, 12:55   #4
stuG
Inactive

NTL must really be working hard on this issue as it has taken 7 days to just get the cable let on, the internet is useless and given that dialup (not provided by ntl) is actually for me more stable right now. I think NTL have some work to do and it seems around the country lots of people are suffering similar issues. In my opinion NTL will lose at lot of customer base very very shortly if they keep deleting fault reports etc and hiding the problem. Management need to take the bull by the horns and DEAL with the issues and not let people hide them away from them.

On many occasions I have considered asking for a manager to speak to and the next call I make sometime after 3pm today I will be doing just that. In hindsight (always a wonderful tool), I think just calmly turning off the modem, switching off the PC and boxing the modem back up and send to NTL special delivery with a box of red roses or a horses head (cant decide which right now) will have made this whole issue gone away.

NTL is currently teasing me, I am on the network but can do nothing with the service.

NTL soon experience the wrath of the rights of the customer and the customer usually votes with there feet.

I would be keeping an eye on NTL's ACTIVE broadband user rate and will see how many people voted.
Old 13-08-2004, 14:02   #5
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze

I was wondering if your connection was 1M, now 1.5M?
If so you may need a new modem, which ntl say they will be providing, according to their 'upgrade' email earlier this week.
Old 13-08-2004, 15:23   #6
stuG
Inactive

Yes 1m now 1.5m.

Terrajet 210 modem

but problems started approx 2 weeks b4 upgrade actually happened

hope this helps
Old 13-08-2004, 15:57   #7
Caff
I'm a geek???

How's about ringing CS/TS to see if you're going to need a new modem?
I binned the ntl email - it didn't refer to me as I only have 750 (was 600) connection, but I remember that it specifically mentioned new modems being needed for the upgraded speed for 1/1.5.

I suspect that there's an underlying problem too, but I'm not nearly knowledgable enough to suggest anything. No one else seems to have exactly the same problem as you as far as I can see.

Good luck!
Old 13-08-2004, 16:11   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Im thinking that its the Pace STBs that cant handle the 1.5MBit thruput so they are being swapped for Samsung models, however the Modems are all fine afaik.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 16:14   #9
Caff
I'm a geek???

I think you're right, Zeph. I didn't read the email too carefully when it got to the 1/1.5Gb bit.
Old 13-08-2004, 16:19   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuG
Been offline much since friday last week, <snip>
stuG - very unhappy duracell right now

to Cable Forum, stu. It's been a little quiet this afternoon but there are a number of NTL staffers who visit this forum, hopefully one of them might be along in a wee while with some suggestions for you.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 17:21   #11
stuG
Inactive

Thanks Chris.

and everybody who answered
Old 13-08-2004, 17:34   #12
stuG
Inactive

I have been on the phone to several people in ntl since 3pm to 5:20pm and seems to be finally come to a agreement that my connection is fubar.

Spoke to some people today who may be able to push my problem higher onto the priority side. My main issue was Faults refusing to acknoledge there was actually a fault and just bounce this back.

Plus we apparently had been phoned but we do not accept anonymous phone calls and this is not the case, this issue is far from resolved but
looks like it is actually moving forward this time for real.
Old 13-08-2004, 17:42   #13
stuG
Inactive

I have requested a replacement modem for my Terrajet 210 and we will see what happens. Geraint in TS said he would phone faults and push this through. All we can do is see when this happens. I do not doubt Geraint's intentions or abilities my concern is Faults still may just ignore like so many previous occasions.
Old 14-08-2004, 00:51   #14
2||Para
Inactive

Services: 20MB BB,Sky TV
2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice
anyone know what is up with the cambridge BB connection

logged 42 disconnections from irc and Counter-Strike in the last 24 hours.

If anyone knows of a fix or what the problem is please tell me as Cambridge Customer services say everything is ok

I dont know how you feel but i find this unacceptable. Was in a CSGN European Qualifier Tonight and got the Warning Connection Error for the 14th time today.
2||Para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2004, 00:59   #15
2||Para
Inactive

Services: 20MB BB,Sky TV
2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice
Re: anyone know what is up with the cambridge BB connection

just got a message from my brother 1/2 a mile down the road,getting same errors. he phoned NTL and got response "As far as we can see there are no problems in the PE29 area"

Oh well that good then, as long as NTL cant see a problem i suppose it's alright? Well it's not alright, 20 or so disconnections from the net for both me and my Bro is NOT ALRIGHT. NTL are Quick enough to upgrade the pricing,yet seem to not be concerned with any problems paying customers have.
2||Para is offline   Reply With Quote