Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Error 104 on Sky digibox

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Error 104 on Sky digibox

Old 07-08-2004, 01:10   #1
James Vertigan
cf.member

James Vertigan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to James Vertigan
Error 104 on Sky digibox

I keep coming across this error code when trying to use the phone connection on my Sky digibox, I understand from a topic I found on DigitalSpy that it had something to do with the gain on the phone line - when I rang NTL recently to explain the problem, the man I spoke to said nothing could be done as NTL use fibre optics and not normal cabling like BT use. I knew that they used fibre optics for the phone lines (used to do a lot of promotional stuff for Videotron - including an appearance on an advert for their phone service!) but I don't see how ths can affect my Sky service - it seems to pick up updates and things like that OK - and it confirms that the phone line is connected... so why won't it let me go "on line"?

So does anyone else who has an NTL phone line have the same problem?
James Vertigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2004, 09:30   #2
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Re: Error 104 on Sky digibox

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Vertigan
Iwhen I rang NTL recently to explain the problem, the man I spoke to said nothing could be done as NTL use fibre optics and not normal cabling like BT use.
What a load of BS-where do they get these monkies from?

Did you get the person's name that gave you this info?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:56   #3
James Vertigan
cf.member

Maybe he was trying to tempt me back to NTL's Digital TV service, so he made up some rubbish!
Old 07-08-2004, 11:03   #4
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

BT, NTL and TW all use fibre optics for telephony and all use twisted pair copper (or aluminium) for the "last mile". I currently have a NTL phone line which connects my Sky system and I have no problems using it and have never seen an error when using it.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:32   #5
James Vertigan
cf.member

So why am I getting these errors then? As fart as I know we don't have any extra features on the line like voicemail etc...
Old 04-09-2004, 03:40   #6
lsgworldl
Inactive

lsgworldl is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to lsgworldl Send a message via MSN to lsgworldl Send a message via Yahoo to lsgworldl

you fart as much as you like
lsgworldl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:32   #7
thejoker37
Inactive

thejoker37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Error 104 on Sky digibox

Hi

I have always had this 104 error, same as previous poster. I have had it for nearly 5 years now . Updates work ok, you can start sky interactive games etc... but as soon as I try to connect I get this error104 message. Line connection check is ok too. I am also a NTL telephone customer (Luton / Steveage, Hitchin area).

It is a PACE digibox Model number: BSKYB2500S3

Is it the phone line?? this works perferctly for making and recieving calls, and I even used it with the modem on a dial-up connection to see if I could transmit and recieve data.

Is it the modem in the Pace box??? it connects to sky active....so I presume that is using the phone line to connect... to download new games demos etc.... or are they transmitted from the sat to the dish??

Is it the small cable that connects the Digibox to the phone socket?? I have used this cable on my laptop for the dial up connection so I would assume that is OK.

Is it the telephone number it has to dial out ?? I am not to sure where to find this number. Is it the right number ?? How can I change it ?. However, I did phone NTL (who eventually answered after 25 minutes waiting and going through various menus etc..) told me that no number is barred on my telephone system. I dont even have call waiting ***** anymore.

As previous poster, NTL were not much help and SKY did not help either... all they did was keep me on telephone line (at extortionate rates) for them to tell me sweet FA. The most annoying bit was the Telephone help desk operator did not even speak english so it was hard to explain what the initial problem was. Having call centres in faw away countrys in not a good idea.. it may be cheaper for NTL and SKY but the customer service from these centres is utter rubbish. All they do is just ask simple questions,and they just enter it into a database search, and then read the BS from a PC screen.

Eventually I just gave up and have put up with the ERROR CODE 104 for the past 4 years until now......now my child is old enough to play the online games and I would like to sort it out.

Any help is really much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

the joker37
thejoker37 is offline   Reply With Quote