Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Joining the wireless world

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Microsoft Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Joining the wireless world

Old 31-07-2003, 16:43   #1
Boom
Inactive

Boom is on a distinguished roadBoom is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Boom
Post Joining the wireless world

Just ordered a Wireless Linksys Router and Bridge. Should be here tomorrow when my comfy bean bag arrives!
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-07-2003, 16:57   #2
fluds
Inactive

fluds is an unknown quantity at this point
You won't regret it.
fluds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2003, 17:31   #3
Boom
Inactive

I better not regret it after shelling out that much ca$h!

I've been holding off now for almost a year, but after having ppl fall over the XBox cable in my house now for almost 6 months, I've decided to go the extra length.
Old 31-07-2003, 17:35   #4
The_real_dj
Inactive

Services: 40 MB Sky BB with telephone and skyHD for TV :)
The_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really nice
cool!!! got a wireless setup my self and its spot on!!!

Never had a problem with it!!!

Good luck!!
The_real_dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2003, 18:04   #5
Jarandco
Inactive

Services: NTL 2 MEG
Jarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via MSN to Jarandco
Quote:
Originally posted by Boom
I better not regret it after shelling out that much ca$h!

I've been holding off now for almost a year, but after having ppl fall over the XBox cable in my house now for almost 6 months, I've decided to go the extra length.
seriously where do u work - u seem to have an unlimited cash flow - wireless netwrok - bean bags, about 50 odd games!
Jarandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2003, 18:31   #6
ic14
Permanently Banned

ic14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to ic14
Im going to try and get one as well, just want to know can you add a hub to to bridge??

Would make it a lot easier
ic14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2003, 18:47   #7
Mantrid
Inactive

Mantrid is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Jarandco
seriously where do u work - u seem to have an unlimited cash flow - wireless netwrok - bean bags, about 50 odd games!
Get yourself a job in I.T. m8
Mantrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2003, 18:57   #8
Jarandco
Inactive

Services: NTL 2 MEG
Jarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation eraJarandco has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via MSN to Jarandco
Quote:
Originally posted by Mantrid
Get yourself a job in I.T. m8
I would if i could!

Dont worry i will soon enough!
Jarandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2003, 19:20   #9
Boom
Inactive

Down at your local!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jarandco
As you can see I'm not the only one who has a wireless setup. As for cash flow, just happens I made some money this past month in company options. Anyway, its all swings and roundabouts, I'll be poor again in no time flat especially if the g/f has her way with the back-garden makeover.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:44   #10
Boom
Inactive

omg, the router arrived at 7:30am this morning! I didn't expect it this early! The bridge arrives from a different warehouse apparently. Anyway, for the NTHW guys, I'll be offline for a bit while switching from my DHCP/DNS server with ICS for clients and a hub to the router!
Old 01-08-2003, 09:34   #11
Boom
Inactive

Woohoo! Done. Relatively painless. Now I just have to sort out my hosting and DNS layers. Hopefully the bridge for the XBox will arrive later today.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:46   #12
Caspar
Inactive

Caspar has reached the bronze age
Caspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze age
Nice one Boom - didn't take long
Caspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 09:55   #13
Boom
Inactive

I was surprised cause my server was connected by usb to the stb and providing ICS/DNS/Exchange/etc. through a hub to my other clients. Thought I'd have a bit of a nightmare on my hands.

I was surprised to see the router handles DDNS, but for dyndns.org it doesn't seem to find the host I provide. Oh well, I still can use my Direct Update utility.

Quote:
Originally posted by Caspar
Nice one Boom - didn't take long
Old 01-08-2003, 12:49   #14
Boom
Inactive

Unfortunately I knew it was too good to be true. My Xbox can't find XBL. Obviously I've looked at Linksys and Xbox.com, but nothing really obvious. I don't seem to have an MTU location in the firmware though (I've updated it to latest). Tried port-forwarding after disabling the DHCP server on the router, but I can't even connect to the internet when I do that! Also can't connect to my networked printer! Any advise appreciated.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:57   #15
Exulus
Inactive

Exulus is an unknown quantity at this point
Does your xbox show up in any of the router logs as trying to connect?

Did you have your PC's MAC addy in the xbox? Try deleting it from there if you have because you shoul;d now have your router set up to clone the mac addy of your pc for use with the cable modem...
Exulus is offline   Reply With Quote