Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL running on all four?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL running on all four?

Old 27-07-2004, 14:27   #1
peacedude2k4

Cool NTL running on all four?

I tend to max my download speed on 120kbs with torrents or FTP: between friends sending DVD camcorder videos which can be 2-6gb

Is that a quick speed for NTL 1mb or am I not running on all four cylinders?

I dont run kazaa or any p2p system nor have msn or other webwindows open whewn downloading with very little running in background.

On xp Home sp1 with a 2.8ghz AMD Athlon with 256ddr ram.
Advertisement
Old 27-07-2004, 14:30   #2
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
Re: NTL running on all four?

it would be about on the mark

edit :- you could always try this speedtest to confirm
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 14:31   #3
peacedude2k4

Cheers dude, just curious as once i had something rocketing down at 156kbs for over 7minutes, cant wait for 1.5mb counting hours down lol around 170+kbs if im right woah....the power eh
Old 27-07-2004, 14:33   #4
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

175kbits/s I got on 1.5Mb in the lab. YMMV, that was a controlled environment!
BBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 14:33   #5
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacedude2k4
Cheers dude, just curious as once i had something rocketing down at 156kbs for over 7minutes, cant wait for 1.5mb counting hours down lol around 170+kbs if im right woah....the power eh

yup but watch out for the cap
Old 27-07-2004, 14:34   #6
peacedude2k4

LOL /hide from big NTL people

mind you not a letter yet
Old 27-07-2004, 16:48   #7
td444
Inactive

td444 is on a distinguished roadtd444 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
175kbits/s I got on 1.5Mb in the lab. YMMV, that was a controlled environment!
I see 1.5mbit cable still has a long way to go then :-p
td444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 17:27   #8
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Users should be expecting to see 175 - 180kbyte/s. Maybe a little more, however 175-180kb/s is an acceptable top speed.

peacedude2k4 you seem to have a strange obsession with showing off how much you download. Interesting.
Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 17:31   #9
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherN00b
Users should be expecting to see 175 - 180kbyte/s. Maybe a little more, however 175-180kb/s is an acceptable top speed.

peacedude2k4 you seem to have a strange obsession with showing off how much you download. Interesting.

it is rather strange aint it considering the number of ntl employees on here
Old 27-07-2004, 17:48   #10
peacedude2k4

Unhappy Re: NTL running on all four?

I transfer alot of dvd camcorder files from friends to my pc, where i edit them and upload them back some files can be 2-3gb and there and back in a day can take a bit even have to mail the finished edit back to them quicker then uploading it
Old 27-07-2004, 17:53   #11
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Quote:
I see 1.5mbit cable still has a long way to go then
Botties - read 'Kbytes' for that. Teach me to post with a baby in one hand and an unfinished urgent bit of perl in the other* after night work.

*I leave it as an exercise to the reader to work out what part of my anatomy I was typing with
BBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 18:06   #12
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
Botties - read 'Kbytes' for that. Teach me to post with a baby in one hand and an unfinished urgent bit of perl in the other* after night work.

*I leave it as an exercise to the reader to work out what part of my anatomy I was typing with

wasnt the babies arm while it was holding an apple was it
Old 27-07-2004, 20:05   #13
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
You must have a lot of friends simultaneously uploading their camcorder videos to be able to achieve that download speed.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 20:18   #14
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
wasnt the babies arm while it was holding an apple was it
Must have been he's nowt else to type with. How's your wife and my kid BBK?
Old 27-07-2004, 20:19   #15
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I transfer alot of dvd camcorder files from friends to my pc, where i edit them and upload them back some files can be 2-3gb and there and back in a day can take a bit even have to mail the finished edit back to them quicker then uploading it
Strange bovine smell around this thread.