Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tricky Triangle Question?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Tricky Triangle Question?

Old 09-07-2004, 15:39   #1
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age
Tricky Triangle Question?

The brain teaser is worded as:

Quote:
Isolate the circles within the triangle so that they don't share any area with each other using only 2 lines.
The lines may not cross but can touch only once.
Now I can see that this is real easy if you are allowed to use curved lines.
(as in the 2nd image)

However, what if you MUST use straight ones?
We thikn that the question is just badly worded but should be straight lines only. Otherwise it ws too easy & the question is usually hard.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2004, 15:51   #2
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: Tricky Triangle Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombini
The brain teaser is worded as:

Now I can see that this is real easy if you are allowed to use curved lines.
(as in the 2nd image)

However, what if you MUST use straight ones?
We thikn that the question is just badly worded but should be straight lines only. Otherwise it ws too easy & the question is usually hard.
I think curved lines must be allowed. If it was straight lines, then it wouldn't make sense that they can touch only once. Two straight lines that touch (and don't cross) are overlapping lines.
Old 09-07-2004, 15:53   #3
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

Unless they touch at only 1 end.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 15:59   #4
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombini
Unless they touch at only 1 end.
In which case they can only divide the space into three sections, and that is not going to be enough with 5 dots?
Old 09-07-2004, 16:15   #5
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

I really cannot see how this could be done with two straight lines (waits to be proved wrong), if they cannot cross.

The first line could only close of one of the spaces, leaving 4 in the next area, the next line could only knock another out.

If they can cross then you can take 4 of 5 easily and I would think some more about whetehr it could be 5/5.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 16:57   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Feel free to prove me wrong - but I don't think you can do it with two straight lines even if you allow them to cross.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 17:55   #7
MetaWraith
Inactive

MetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appeal
MetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via ICQ to MetaWraith Send a message via AIM to MetaWraith Send a message via MSN to MetaWraith Send a message via Yahoo to MetaWraith

3 straight lines - easy (yes they do cross)
2 straight lines - don't see how this is possible
MetaWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 18:24   #8
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

one circle and one straight line
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 19:12   #9
Jerrek
Inactive

Jerrek can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pem
Feel free to prove me wrong - but I don't think you can do it with two straight lines even if you allow them to cross.
You can't... You're esentially turning this into a bipartite graph. Using elementary combinatorics, it can be proven that this graph can't be turned into a bipartite graph because the total number of edges in conjunction with the 5 vertices requires a tripartite graph to exist.

You can even apply the 2-color, or 3-color theorem to this graph.
Jerrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 19:21   #10
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrek
You can't... You're esentially turning this into a bipartite graph. Using elementary combinatorics, it can be proven that this graph can't be turned into a bipartite graph because the total number of edges in conjunction with the 5 vertices requires a tripartite graph to exist.

Speak English!

.....are you allowed to fold the triangle?
Old 09-07-2004, 20:46   #11
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrek

Just what I was thinking

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 21:36   #12
Alan Waddington
Inactive

Alan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
Speak English!

.....are you allowed to fold the triangle?
I was more thinking of screwing it up & lobbing it in the general direction of the bin, which will be a tricky shot from where I'm sitting, as it's not a straight line shot - not even two straight lines
Alan Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 22:18   #13
dr wadd

From the way the puzzle is worded, I think the challenge here is to see if the person trying to solve it bothers to try it with non-straight lines. I can imagine that most people just try to use straight lines. It is similar to that one where you have to join the dots in a 3x3 matrix, a lot of people don`t take into account that they can go outside the square formed by the matrix.