Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PC Powers itself on...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PC Powers itself on...

Old 14-06-2004, 12:32   #1
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
PC Powers itself on...

I had broadband installed last week (am running Windows 2000 with an ethernet connection). Mysteriously my PC now powers itself on overnight, anybody got any ideas on why this is and how I can stop it happening ? Thanks
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-06-2004, 12:37   #2
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Re: PC Powers itself on...

Check you don't have WOL (wake on lan) enabled in your bios, my machine used to do it occasionally though, even without WOL on, so I used to just switch it off at the PSU or mains.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2004, 12:44   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Wake on Lan can often also be set in the network card's advanced properties in Windows Control Panel.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2004, 21:08   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Thanks for that.
Wake on Lan was enabled in the Bios settings - so hopefully I've disabled it and my pc will sleep when I do.........
It usually boots up itself around midnight so i'll keep vigil......
Old 14-06-2004, 21:15   #5
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

hi and to the site , sorry i had to get it in , and the advice given above is sound
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2004, 07:26   #6
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Thanks Paul. The bad news is its turned itself on again overnight, Doh !
Wake on Lan is disabled and 'allow this device to bring the computer out of standby' is unchecked for the network card in control panel. Any other ideas or is it haunted ?
Old 15-06-2004, 07:41   #7
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K
Thanks Paul. The bad news is its turned itself on again overnight, Doh !
Wake on Lan is disabled and 'allow this device to bring the computer out of standby' is unchecked for the network card in control panel. Any other ideas or is it haunted ?
I don't know for sure but have heard rumours \ tales of certain trojan's that can do this have you ran any spyware \ trojan, virus scans ???

Might be worth a shot............. just a thought
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2004, 07:46   #8
Mr K
Woke and proud !

No viruses according to my latest scan. I've got something called 'PME event wake up' settings enabled in my bios power management settings, what is this and would I be safe to disable it ?
Old 15-06-2004, 07:56   #9
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K
No viruses according to my latest scan. I've got something called 'PME event wake up' settings enabled in my bios power management settings, what is this and would I be safe to disable it ?
PME = Power Management Event, e.g. pressing a key, moving the mouse etc when the machine is in power saving mode. It could be that you have a dicky power supply possibly.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2004, 10:01   #10
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

When you switch off tonight disconnect the ethernet lead as well. If it still comes on overnight then the problem isn't your broadband connection.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2004, 11:51   #11
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

I had this with my last gigabyte board, the Caps Lock light on my keyboard would sometimes stay on when i shut down, and i noticed that a few hours later, it would mysteriously just "boot-up".

I sent an e-mail to gigabyte claiming my board was haunted (no joke) and they replaced it for me..

That was also nothing to do with my BB connection but i thought it was the wake on lan too.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2004, 17:38   #12
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

have you got a dial up modem installed and connected , if you have i believe it is possible for that to wake up a pc
Old 15-06-2004, 17:45   #13
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

I have often seen " magic packets " floating arround the NTL network. The magic packet is a type of packet that the network card looks for and will signal the motherboard to power up when recived. If your network card is inbuilt then turning the WOL " wake on lan " option off is your only way to go. If the network is plugged into the motherboard then you should see a small 3pin 3 core cable from the card to the motherboard, Removing this cable will resolve the problem.

HTH
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2004, 18:09   #14
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuartbe
I have often seen " magic packets " floating arround the NTL network. The magic packet is a type of packet that the network card looks for and will signal the motherboard to power up when recived. If your network card is inbuilt then turning the WOL " wake on lan " option off is your only way to go. If the network is plugged into the motherboard then you should see a small 3pin 3 core cable from the card to the motherboard, Removing this cable will resolve the problem.

HTH
they haven't got magic beans in them have they?
( my mother warned me about people with magic beans)
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2004, 18:46   #15
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuartbe

HTH

hes back