Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL's MTA is blacklisted ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL's MTA is blacklisted ?

Old 13-06-2004, 10:20   #1
pcpilot
Inactive

pcpilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Question NTL's MTA is blacklisted ?

Hi All,

Just got this message from a friend who tried to send me an e-mail :-

Quote:
This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why
each recipient was rejected.

Recipient: <xxxxxxxxx@xxx.net>
Reason: rejected because 62.253.162.42 is in a black list at bl.spamcop.net Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?62.253.162.42

Please reply to Postmaster@ntlworld.com
if you feel this message to be in error.
nslookup on the IP resolves to mta02-svc.ntlworld.com

Could one of our resident gurus confirm / deny that this is the case ?

Bests
PC
pcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-06-2004, 10:26   #2
eastwind

Re: NTL's MTA is blacklisted ?

NTL has also been blacklisted by www.apnic.net, this is the site you use to look up the locoation of IP addresses. I tried to search for an IP address and all I got was this:

%ERROR:201: access denied for 202.12.29.20%% Sorry, access from your host has been permanently denied% because of a repeated abusive behaviour.% Please contact <helpdesk@apnic.net> for unblocking.

The originating NTL server is 80.5.160.7 which is NTL Baguley, I wonder who has done what to APNIC to deserve this?
Old 13-06-2004, 10:35   #3
pcpilot
Inactive

202.12.29.20 is nori.apnic.net, so it's one of their own servers.

Bests
PC
Old 13-06-2004, 10:39   #4
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

I'm none too keen on the Spamcop list - lot of false positives. Seems to be the muppet's favourite - "<mailwasher user> Coooo look a newsletter I asked for but can't remember asking for - blacklist the sender"
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2004, 11:54   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
62.253.162.42 listed in bl.spamcop.net

Causes of listing
System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

Listing History
It has been listed for 2.4 days.
and yes, it is one of NTL's mail server IP addresses.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2004, 21:55   #6
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Looked it up here http://www.openrbl.org - 7 positives
The BLARS code, means a spam sending domain, with no working abuse address.
DSBL.org have it as a relay, but it looks like all the tests have been made from an NTL IP address - so of course it relays!
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2004, 21:58   #7
swoop101
cf.mega poster

swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal

Don't try sending e-mails to most of Greece/ Rhodes either because NTL are blacklisted there as well.
swoop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2004, 22:55   #8
nate
Inactive

Services: Sky Digital, NTL Phone & 10mb BB
nate is on a distinguished roadnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to nate

Report it to the AUP team.
aup@ntlworld.com

They will contact the relevant providers/blacklist databases to attempt to get the block removed.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2004, 00:37   #9
greencreeper
Inactive

greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencreeper
I'm none too keen on the Spamcop list - lot of false positives. Seems to be the muppet's favourite - "<mailwasher user> Coooo look a newsletter I asked for but can't remember asking for - blacklist the sender"
Just received a newsletter from Maplin - a newsletter that I subscribe to as a customer. It was marked as spam. I checked the headers - "SPAM SPCOP 195.92.230.65". I checked spamcop's database: "SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam less than 10 times in the past week". I ought to have a crystal ball
Old 14-06-2004, 12:29   #10
pcpilot
Inactive

Thanks all, I'll get on to AUP.

Bests
PC
Old 14-06-2004, 12:55   #11
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Just received a newsletter from Maplin - a newsletter that I subscribe to as a customer. It was marked as spam. I checked the headers - "SPAM SPCOP 195.92.230.65". I checked spamcop's database: "SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam less than 10 times in the past week". I ought to have a crystal ball
I think this is down to reporting mails they have subscribed to as spam, instead of unsubscribing.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2004, 13:53   #12
Nutty
Inactive

Nutty is on a distinguished roadNutty is on a distinguished road

My mate at work was getting spam from an ntl broadband customer. Either he was a dumb spammer, or his PC was taken over. I forwarded the details to abuse@ntlworld.com.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2004, 14:01   #13
abailey152
Inactive

Services: 60Mb VM BB Sky+HD
abailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to abailey152 Send a message via Yahoo to abailey152

Quote:
I don't think I'm too impressed with that comment! I use MailWasher, but I'm very careful as to what I report to spamcop.

I've only ever had a couple of false positives on the default blacklist, and that is because the whole domain was blacklisted when it should really have been a sub-domain. It tends to be 99.9% correct. Okay, not good if you are the holder of the 0.1% of domains incorrectly blocked, but it isn't bad.
abailey152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2004, 19:55   #14
greencreeper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey152
I don't think I'm too impressed with that comment! I use MailWasher, but I'm very careful as to what I report to spamcop.
If so, then you're not a muppet user Peace!

What annoys me is that people (lots of them) are reporting newsletters and other solicited email as spam because they cannot remember subscribing, didn't read the small print when signing up for something, or can't be arsed unsubscribing. Mailwasher annoys me further by facilitating this "muppet reporting" - i.e. it makes it very easy to report "spam". It's undermining efforts to combat spam. I have issues with the accuracy of open (i.e. public submissions) blacklists in general anyway.

My email client, The Bat!, has a built-in email pre-viewer like mailwasher, but unlike mailwasher it actually works and has lots of useful features. Apologies in advance to any mailwasher fans
Old 15-06-2004, 00:41   #15
abailey152
Inactive

Services: 60Mb VM BB Sky+HD
abailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to abailey152 Send a message via Yahoo to abailey152

This is a catch-22 situation. You either encourage people to report spam, and then audit their responses, or you make it more difficult to report, and get less people involved.

It's difficult to find a way around this, except throw resources at it. I agree that many users just cannot be trusted to audit their own reports correctly, so I think organisations like Spamcop need to do a little checking of their own before adding IP addresses to their blacklist.
abailey152 is offline   Reply With Quote