Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL Gaming (Luton)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL Gaming (Luton)

Old 26-05-2004, 21:00   #1
nufcfan123
Inactive

nufcfan123 is on a distinguished roadnufcfan123 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation NTL Gaming (Luton)

I recently have had troubles using NTL 600k service to play games online due to the ping going very high. The games i play are BFV and CoD and both have the same results latly.

Is there anyway i can fix this? Thanks in advance.
nufcfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2004, 21:43   #2
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society
Re: NTL Gaming (Luton)

Ah, theres another one, hehe, Im in the luton server area, and have been getting problems with ping (I play CS, dont laugh) , it randomly shoots near 200 every so often, only been the last few days, and its settling a bit, I can only hope that's NTL actually doing something to the server ahead of the speed upgrade (well I can hope :P)
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2004, 21:50   #3
nufcfan123
Inactive

hopefully yeh. It's annoying though, i want to play online again with no lag . but if its a speed upgrade i can live with that
Old 26-05-2004, 21:57   #4
Smilie
Inactive

Smilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of light

I had similar problems before
think its most likely a oversubscribed UBR
try calling customer support preferably when u are having the problems
so they are able to see the UBR usage when u are having the problems
Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2004, 22:06   #5
IanGuy
Inactive

Services: V+, 2nd STB, Virgin Phone, Virgin 20mb
IanGuy is on a distinguished roadIanGuy is on a distinguished road

I had it yesterday on Call of Duty in Cardiff, it resolved itself and is fine again, i think it was something they were doing to the network. All probably for the new speed increase.
IanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2004, 23:22   #6
Ben
Inactive

Ben will become famous soon enoughBen will become famous soon enoughBen will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Ben

Yup my cable has been utter poo for the last week or so. Yea downloads are alright but pings suck major ass!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2004, 23:59   #7
robtufts
Inactive

robtufts will become famous soon enoughrobtufts will become famous soon enoughrobtufts will become famous soon enough

I don't think it is a ubr problem as i'm in Bedfordshire I've been having problems between around 7:30pm and 11:00pm and friends have been having th same problems in hertfordshire, spiking at exact same times. I hope they can sort this out before the speed increase or it's off to adsl
robtufts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2004, 13:25   #8
IanGuy
Inactive

Yes it does seem to do it during evenings though I had no problem last night and just played an hour long game of call of duty online with pings between 10 and 40 constant
Old 28-05-2004, 14:58   #9
happymeal
Inactive

happymeal is an unknown quantity at this point

what is a "ubr" problem?
happymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2004, 15:53   #10
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymeal
what is a "ubr" problem?
A UBR problem is what you are suffering from

UBR= universal broadband router. A number of users will be connected to the ub r on different upsteam channels and cables. Some of these may get oversubscribed, or there may be other problems with the UBR eg hardware issues that are causing people problems... If you want to find someone who has had a real hard time of it, search for the thread started by Simcut about his issues.

robtufts... if you don't think it is a UBR problem, what do you think it is?

MB
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2004, 16:19   #11
robtufts
Inactive

robtufts will become famous soon enoughrobtufts will become famous soon enoughrobtufts will become famous soon enough

I tried some traceroutes earlier (well last night) and it seemed to spike on or after the following things: lutn-t2cam1-a-ge911.inet.ntl.com [80.4.118.17], or lutn-t2core-a-ge-wan64.inet.ntl.com [213.107.47.89] , so I don't know what they are and was always at around 150ms, no more no less, which was quite bizarre. It may very well be a ubr but i'm not an ntl tech and probably shouldn't have said it probably wasn't
Old 29-05-2004, 14:43   #12
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Just a Little update, I dunno about robtufts, But my connection (and ping) has been restored to decent working order (back to pinging bbc.co.uk @ 10ms), and is no longer spiking.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2004, 19:54   #13
robtufts
Inactive

Yeah, mine seems to be fixed now too so..nice one NTL I guess
Old 30-05-2004, 20:11   #14
IanGuy
Inactive

Told ya it'd be fine I had the problems, been back to peak performance since, think it's due to the 'network rebalancing'
Old 31-05-2004, 22:12   #15
nufcfan123
Inactive

yeh mine back to normal too