Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problems with Home LAN

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problems with Home LAN

Old 20-05-2004, 22:29   #1
richard_j_green
Inactive

richard_j_green is an unknown quantity at this point
Problems with Home LAN

Dear Cable Forum,

I previously used ADSL via a Netgear DG824M wireless ADSL router, with no problems. The connection automatically found all of the details (IP, DNS etc) and it all worked pukka!

I have switched to NTL 1Mb as of Monday this week, and bought a Netgear RP614v2 to route the connection between my three systems at home.

The new DSL router is unable to connect to the Cable connection if the router is set to automatically aquire IP and DNS etc. from the ISP. My first point is, how come if the connection is directly connected from the NTLHome 200 Modem into the Windows XP Pro PC I use, the connection is automatically detected using DHCP, but the router cannot.

The other problem I'm having is, even with the settings on the router manually configured, the connection is not working properly. I think the problem with the connection is something to do with the MAC address configuration.

The router gives me the option to set the MAC address based on the address from the computer connected on Ethernet Port 1, a custom address (user defined), or to use the default address of the router.

I have managed to get the connection active via the router using both the use default address and the custom address (using the address of the Cable Modem).

I think there is a problem with the Ethernet cable I am using to connect the router to the PC on Ethernet Port 1 (Used ****ty cheap connectors from Maplin), but have bought some new connecters of better quality so will re-wire the cable later and see if this makes any difference.

The actual problem even when Windows is connected via the Ethernet to the router, is that it does not give me an upstream, but only a downstream.

I just wondered if anybody knew of anything other than the possibly dodgy Ethernet lead that may be causing the problems?
richard_j_green is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-05-2004, 22:35   #2
th'engineer
Inactive

Services: up to 30 MEG CF version of Peter Kay
th'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to th'engineer
Re: Problems with Home LAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_j_green
Dear Cable Forum,

I previously used ADSL via a Netgear DG824M wireless ADSL router, with no problems. The connection automatically found all of the details (IP, DNS etc) and it all worked pukka!

I have switched to NTL 1Mb as of Monday this week, and bought a Netgear RP614v2 to route the connection between my three systems at home.

The new DSL router is unable to connect to the Cable connection if the router is set to automatically aquire IP and DNS etc. from the ISP. My first point is, how come if the connection is directly connected from the NTLHome 200 Modem into the Windows XP Pro PC I use, the connection is automatically detected using DHCP, but the router cannot.

The other problem I'm having is, even with the settings on the router manually configured, the connection is not working properly. I think the problem with the connection is something to do with the MAC address configuration.

The router gives me the option to set the MAC address based on the address from the computer connected on Ethernet Port 1, a custom address (user defined), or to use the default address of the router.

I have managed to get the connection active via the router using both the use default address and the custom address (using the address of the Cable Modem).

I think there is a problem with the Ethernet cable I am using to connect the router to the PC on Ethernet Port 1 (Used ****ty cheap connectors from Maplin), but have bought some new connecters of better quality so will re-wire the cable later and see if this makes any difference.

The actual problem even when Windows is connected via the Ethernet to the router, is that it does not give me an upstream, but only a downstream.

I just wondered if anybody knew of anything other than the possibly dodgy Ethernet lead that may be causing the problems?
clone your pc mac address of the pc connected make sure router set to dynamic ip
th'engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2004, 22:35   #3
Nikko
Inactive

Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal
Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal

Try powering everything down - Cable Modem, Router, PC's then Boot up in that order - CM, wait for lights to steady, Router, PC1 and see if it resolves itself.
Nikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2004, 00:00   #4
richard_j_green
Inactive

richard_j_green is an unknown quantity at this point

So I should set the router to use the PC on Ethernet Port 1's MAC address, and set the router to automatically aquire IP, DNS etc?
richard_j_green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2004, 00:07   #5
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
So I should set the router to use the PC on Ethernet Port 1's MAC address, and set the router to automatically aquire IP, DNS etc?
you shouldn't need to clone the mac address if you are using a cable modem, but yes set the router to obtain ip and dns automatically. Also, if you router is PPPoE compatable, make sure this is disabled.

As Nikko said, make sure you power everything down as well, and make sure the modem is turned off for a good half minute. Then you should be able to make the connection straight away.

MB
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2004, 00:07   #6
Nikko
Inactive

Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal
Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Yes - a combination of the above replies should fix it - if my suggestion fails, then try cloning as th'eng mentioned.

Edit: wot MB said
Nikko is offline   Reply With Quote