Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | well it had to happen at some point

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

well it had to happen at some point

Old 10-05-2004, 17:57   #1
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness
well it had to happen at some point

Yes after 2.5 years of being a BB user with NTL, I finally have my first gripe with it.

Its broke!

Cable modem has no lights except the Power light and it cannot lock onto a downstream signal.
I reported it on Saturday morning, 08:30 and I had to call local NTL today to find out why no one has been in touch.

Engineer scheduled for a visit tomorrow, but that makes it 5 days without access.

I guess I shouldnt really complain but its annoying when paying for a 1Mb service and you cant use it in anyway for 5 days.

Still as long as its repaired quickly and on Tuesday night I can honestly forgive NTL lol.

Oh and for the record tech support think the modem is fried
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2004, 18:08   #2
OL1V3R
Inactive

Services: TV, 2mb Broadband, Telephone.
OL1V3R is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to OL1V3R
Re: well it had to happen at some point

Hmm, mine borked two days ago .. There was a break in one of the mainsteam lines to the neighbourhood i live in. Phone, TV and Broadband went down from 2pm to 8pm!!! My life virtually came to a standstill!

Oh well, it has to happen sometimes!
OL1V3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 18:12   #3
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

compensation or a freebie time i reckon , it worked for me the one and only time i was without service
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 18:15   #4
timewarrior2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
compensation or a freebie time i reckon , it worked for me the one and only time i was without service

Perhaps your right, but I'd settle for an explanation why 512K ADSL is faster than 600K Cable.

I've had a few theories put forward, one is that NTL are rigging speeds.

Back on topic, how do I go about requesting NTL to refund the days I've not had service?

PS I'm at work now in case you wondered how I was posting.
Old 10-05-2004, 20:05   #5
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarrior2001
Perhaps your right, but I'd settle for an explanation why 512K ADSL is faster than 600K Cable.

I've had a few theories put forward, one is that NTL are rigging speeds.

Back on topic, how do I go about requesting NTL to refund the days I've not had service?

PS I'm at work now in case you wondered how I was posting.
Are you in an ex-Cable & Wireless area, timewarrior?
Old 10-05-2004, 20:15   #6
andrew_wallasey
Inactive

andrew_wallasey is an unknown quantity at this point

Just ring customer service, I once wasnt able to use one of out STB's for a week while I waited for them to do a repull and they refunded me for the week.
andrew_wallasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:05   #7
badnbusy
Inactive

badnbusy will become famous soon enoughbadnbusy will become famous soon enoughbadnbusy will become famous soon enough

512k ADSL is not faster than 600k cable. If it is for you, then there is a problem somwhere.

with 512k ADSL you will get a max of around 60kb/s. With ntl 600k you will get a max of around 70kb/s
badnbusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:58   #8
andrew_wallasey
Inactive

andrew_wallasey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnbusy
512k ADSL is not faster than 600k cable. If it is for you, then there is a problem somwhere.

with 512k ADSL you will get a max of around 60kb/s. With ntl 600k you will get a max of around 70kb/s
Agreed!
andrew_wallasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:09   #9
Salu
Inactive

Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Salu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL1V3R
Hmm, mine borked two days ago .. There was a break in one of the mainsteam lines to the neighbourhood i live in. Phone, TV and Broadband went down from 2pm to 8pm!!! My life virtually came to a standstill!

Oh well, it has to happen sometimes!
Surely you mean your virtual life came to a standstill?
Salu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:20   #10
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Would be correct - apart from the proxy servers being in the way. Most users measure there download speed from websites so the download speed can be much slower going via the proxy than on ADSL that has no proxy's (most of the time).
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 13:14   #11
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:

This is not quite so clear cut and depends on what you are doing with your connection. If you are using applications that tend to saturate your upstream then downstream on NTL 600k can slow to a much lower speed than is the case with ADSL 512k.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 17:34   #12
timewarrior2001

well, thats a laugh, Engineer informed I had my speaker cable plugged into modem and that there was no fault with modem??????

Problem is, only speakers in there are connected to PC and working correctly.

I'm hoping this wasnt a vain attempt to negate any responsibility, how can a speaker wire be plugged into a SACM and prevent it from working? The modem was lit up but only th epower light, it couldnt lock onto a downstream signal??? Someone please tell me this engineer was joking.........please........anyone?
Old 11-05-2004, 17:54   #13
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarrior2001
well, thats a laugh, Engineer informed I had my speaker cable plugged into modem and that there was no fault with modem??????

Problem is, only speakers in there are connected to PC and working correctly.

I'm hoping this wasnt a vain attempt to negate any responsibility, how can a speaker wire be plugged into a SACM and prevent it from working? The modem was lit up but only th epower light, it couldnt lock onto a downstream signal??? Someone please tell me this engineer was joking.........please........anyone?

i hope you have been onto ntl and told them about this , it wouldnt surprise me if the silly b@stard didnt electrocute himself somewhere , what sort of ppl are ntl employing if this sort of thing happens
Old 11-05-2004, 18:33   #14
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
i hope you have been onto ntl and told them about this , it wouldnt surprise me if the silly b@stard didnt electrocute himself somewhere , what sort of ppl are ntl employing if this sort of thing happens
Now now Paul - play nicely with the poor engineers ....

There are some good ones out there - but there are also some real ar53holes who couldn't tell a modem from a laptop

Timewarrior - I hope you called NTL and told them this - I'm sure some of the guys at CM support would be unavailable for a while due to laughing too much

But seriously - let NTL know, and get someone out to do the job properly...
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 19:00   #15
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovat
Now now Paul - play nicely with the poor engineers ....

There are some good ones out there - but there are also some real ar53holes who couldn't tell a modem from a laptop

Timewarrior - I hope you called NTL and told them this - I'm sure some of the guys at CM support would be unavailable for a while due to laughing too much

But seriously - let NTL know, and get someone out to do the job properly...

couldnt agree more my mate , and i have repped accordingly , this needs jumping on though