Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving house but no ntl is there

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Moving house but no ntl is there

Old 25-04-2004, 19:07   #1
dre101
Inactive

dre101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Moving house but no ntl is there

I'm moving house in a few weeks time, but its a new house so there is no ntl or bt line there, I rang ntl about it and they said they would send a surveyor out to the new house, he said that it will cost £220 to get ntl into my house, and i rang bt about it and they said it would cost £75 to get bt installed but i wanna keep ntl.

Why is it so much more expensive to install ntl than to install bt? And can't ntl lower the price to compete with bt? I'm sure ntl don't want to lose me as a customer
dre101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-04-2004, 19:09   #2
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
Re: Moving house but no ntl is there

hi and to the site , i suppose it would depend on how close the nearest ntl box is compared to the nearest bt box , i suppose you could always blackmail them and say you are going to bt , its got to be worth a try i reckon
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 19:12   #3
marfleet
Inactive

marfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

if there is a tee outside your new house ntl can put your sevices on. phone c/services and ask them how come it will cost £220 when thay say installation is FREE and see what thay have to say
marfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2004, 15:34   #4
andrew_wallasey
Inactive

andrew_wallasey is an unknown quantity at this point

In the past ive heard that NTL might not be in that specific street but its at the top of the road so they might extend the network slightly so someone in the side road can get it.

Or there might be no tee outside that persons house.
andrew_wallasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2004, 23:30   #5
nidave
Inactive

nidave is on a distinguished roadnidave is on a distinguished road

they extended te network a litte to get to our house - had to go through a couple of peoples gardens - (who all became subscrubers). Our house is on a Terrace - and off the road in a courtyard. this was about 5 years ago mind you!
nidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2004, 00:06   #6
quadplay
Inactive

Services: 9am, 1pm and 8pm daily
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array

Also, BT aren't allowed to charge more than a standard installation fee (currently £75). ntl can, of course, charge what they like, to reflect the cost of actually installing the equipment/service.
quadplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2004, 01:03   #7
Earl of Bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
Also, BT aren't allowed to charge more than a standard installation fee (currently £75). ntl can, of course, charge what they like, to reflect the cost of actually installing the equipment/service.
Yeah. But be fare, its a bit easier to run an over-head telco than it is to open the foot/roadway and bury a 4 inch duct, plus a 2 inch swept 'T' and toby.
Old 17-06-2004, 11:15   #8
andrew_wallasey
Inactive

Exactly.
Old 17-06-2004, 11:37   #9
GazzaB
Inactive

Services: O2 ADSL Broadband with BT line and Freesat from Sky
GazzaB is a jewel in the roughGazzaB is a jewel in the roughGazzaB is a jewel in the roughGazzaB is a jewel in the roughGazzaB is a jewel in the rough

This is not a standard Ntl install charge, the £220 charge is because this address requires construction work to put a tee up to the property or have ducting corrected I guess so Ntl need to cover the cost of this work.
GazzaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2004, 11:49   #10
andrew_wallasey
Inactive

I guess it probably costs more than £220 to install a tee as a one off job.
Old 19-06-2004, 19:49   #11
marfleet
Inactive

marfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

the lads that install the tee work on day rate so there on about £60 per day so where does the rest of the money go?????????
marfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 20:01   #12
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by marfleet
the lads that install the tee work on day rate so there on about £60 per day so where does the rest of the money go?????????
probably to the council because IIRC there is quite a hefty fee for digging up road/ pavement
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote