Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mandrake Linux install trouble

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Mandrake Linux install trouble

Old 16-07-2003, 12:20   #1
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness
Mandrake Linux install trouble

I was recommended ot try SuSe linux, I couldnt get it to download so switched my attention to Mandrake.

I have the Mandrake file
Mandrake91-cd1-inst.i586 downloaded from the mandrake website. I burnt the files to CD. Now when I try and install (with the aid of a bootdisk) it tells me the CD doesnt seem to be a mandrake install CD.
Does anyone know what I have done wrong?
Advertisement
Old 16-07-2003, 12:30   #2
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Quote:
Originally posted by timewarrior2001
I was recommended ot try SuSe linux, I couldnt get it to download so switched my attention to Mandrake.

I have the Mandrake file
Mandrake91-cd1-inst.i586 downloaded from the mandrake website. I burnt the files to CD. Now when I try and install (with the aid of a bootdisk) it tells me the CD doesnt seem to be a mandrake install CD.
Does anyone know what I have done wrong?
Maybe the file got corrupted. As I recall, the ISOs come with a checksum which you can use to check the file integrity.
Old 16-07-2003, 18:30   #3
timewarrior2001

Nope everything is fine, no corruption.
Old 16-07-2003, 19:04   #4
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
In that case, I'm afraid your gues is as good as mine. I think however, that there are some distros that run off cd, i.e. you don't have to do a full install. I think Knoppix is one of them (not a Linux man myelf though). If you just want to give Linux a try, that might be the easiest option.
Old 16-07-2003, 22:15   #5
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one
Did you download the ISO's? If so AFAIK the CD should boot of its own accord (change your BIOS to suit this!)
What about CD volume labels?
I downloaded it from a site following links from the REDHAT mirrors then amending the location and didn't have any issues.
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2003, 11:29   #6
nogger
Inactive

nogger is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to nogger Send a message via Yahoo to nogger
What files can you see on the CD when you view it in Explorer?

If you just stick the CD in the drive, under Windows, does it autorun and give you a nice menu of options?

Have you actually burnt the image to the CD or just got a copy of Mandrake91-cd1-inst.i586.iso on there?

Sorry if these are silly questions but we need answers.
nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2003, 12:26   #7
timewarrior2001

I extracted the contents of the file I donwloaded onto the CD. This was labeeled the ISO on the mandrake website.
It autoboots in Windows, but not when I re-boot the machine.
Some of you may remember my scathing comments of Linux in the thread where I was arguing with BenH. I couldnt get Mandrake 7 to install either but it went further than this lol.
Old 17-07-2003, 13:28   #8
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
I extracted the contents of the file I donwloaded onto the CD. This was labeeled the ISO on the mandrake website.
Some of you may remember my scathing comments of Linux in the thread where I was arguing with BenH. I couldnt get Mandrake 7 to install either but it went further than this lol.
I wasn't going to comment on that, but since you brought it up: it is quite ironic isn't it
Old 17-07-2003, 13:34   #9
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Quote:
Just extracting the ISO to the CD won't create the Mandrake CD image, you actually have to burn the CD image from the ISO, example :

http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2003, 13:49   #10
timewarrior2001

Yes yes, i know how to burn an ISO image, unfortunately it seems I managed to get a and ISO zip file that doesnt contain an ISO image. Theres a folder called "Linux ISO" but the largest file in here is 2Mb.
Old 17-07-2003, 13:54   #11
timewarrior2001

*gives his head a shake*
Seems what I have done is not read the file names properly and I didnt actually download the ISO.
Theres two versions, one is an ISO one is a zipped file of the folders and files that would be on the CD.
Guess which I downloaded?

Many thanks for the replies, hopefully I can soon experience the latest Linux and maybe change my attitude towards it.
Old 17-07-2003, 22:07   #12
double_c
Inactive

double_c is an unknown quantity at this point
Give me a shout if you have any questions about using it or run into any trouble. Email below (remove NOSPAM).

c.c.williams@ntlworld.NOSPAM.com
double_c is offline   Reply With Quote