Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connection Problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connection Problems

Old 09-04-2004, 12:56   #1
Stokiemike
Inactive

Stokiemike is an unknown quantity at this point
Connection Problems

Hi i havent been able to get connected to broadband now 4 about 5 weeks really doin me haed in tech support is crap waste of time. Was wondering if any one had any ideas i could try?

The problems is the middle light keeps flashing and will not pick up the connection for the bb. I have checked the signal strenght and it seems they are all fine expect for one could this be my problem and wot can i do?

I have checked all conections and seem to be fine

any help be greatful thanks
stokiemike
Stokiemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2004, 12:59   #2
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Connection Problems

If the modem can't/won't pick up the connection then it sounds like there would be little you can do without speaking to tech Support - what did they say when you spoke to them?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 13:46   #3
Stokiemike
Inactive

They said not a lot lol we are the usin set top box dont know if this helps

cheers
Old 09-04-2004, 14:09   #4
Death Jester
Inactive

Death Jester is an unknown quantity at this point

Where are you in the UK?
What Proxy do you use?
What type of connection do you have (speed)
Does the problem always happen, or is it intermittent?

Excuse the roughness of my posts, I am in the middle of a bad Flu.
Death Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 14:45   #5
abailey152
Inactive

Services: 60Mb VM BB Sky+HD
abailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to abailey152 Send a message via Yahoo to abailey152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokiemike
Hi i havent been able to get connected to broadband now 4 about 5 weeks really doin me haed in tech support is crap waste of time. Was wondering if any one had any ideas i could try?

The problems is the middle light keeps flashing and will not pick up the connection for the bb. I have checked the signal strenght and it seems they are all fine expect for one could this be my problem and wot can i do?
If the middle light on your set-top-box keeps flashing, then it is an NTL problem. Either the interactive (including broadband internet) feed has a fault, or the stb itself is faulty.

*EDIT* Before contacting NTL, and assuming you haven't tried this....
Power down the STB, then remove the smart-card. Check the connections are clean, then plug it in again and power up.

If this fails, get in touch with NTL and report a fault.
abailey152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 16:35   #6
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey152
If the middle light on your set-top-box keeps flashing, then it is an NTL problem. Either the interactive (including broadband internet) feed has a fault, or the stb itself is faulty.

*EDIT* Before contacting NTL, and assuming you haven't tried this....
Power down the STB, then remove the smart-card. Check the connections are clean, then plug it in again and power up.

If this fails, get in touch with NTL and report a fault.

and dont put up with it for 4 or 5 weeks next time
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 16:53   #7
Stokiemike
Inactive

Cheers will have a go didnt want get in touch with ntl coz its seems it one thing after another and just gets ya peed off so thort ask you guys n girls if ya could help

So thanks alot will have go
Cheers
stokiemike
Old 09-04-2004, 17:19   #8
Stokiemike
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Jester
Where are you in the UK?
What Proxy do you use?
What type of connection do you have (speed)
Does the problem always happen, or is it intermittent?

Excuse the roughness of my posts, I am in the middle of a bad Flu.
We were on the 1m service and went down to the 600k service
Problem is always not been able get steady middle green light 4 good while

I think is problem due to the power level of the connection as all signals are fine expect the one for the intractive/bb

cheers again sry bout double post
Old 09-04-2004, 17:22   #9
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

You have been without your service for 4/5 weeks?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 17:37   #10
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
You have been without your service for 4/5 weeks?

it would appear so , i cant believe some ppl putting up with p!ss poor service like this
Old 09-04-2004, 17:54   #11
Stokiemike
Inactive

yep tis bout dat may be more i have just left it and using dail up i just got fed up with it all so first call was swap over to sky now thats is done maybe connect bak to bt but dont want to mess around more so shall afta see

Can any1 give me more infor and tell me if me is correct in sayin that it could be due to low power level?

cheers
Old 09-04-2004, 18:06   #12
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

Quote:
yep tis bout dat may be more i have just left it and using dail up i just got fed up with it all so first call was swap over to sky now thats is done maybe connect bak to bt but dont want to mess around more so shall afta see

Can any1 give me more infor and tell me if me is correct in sayin that it could be due to low power level?

cheers

it is very likely to be a power level issue
Old 09-04-2004, 19:42   #13
hairy_mick
Inactive

hairy_mick has a spectacular aura about themhairy_mick has a spectacular aura about themhairy_mick has a spectacular aura about themhairy_mick has a spectacular aura about them

do you live in sunderland mate if you do then check your connections ie cable
on isolator if all is ok your box might need to be replaced. There is an engineer screen that gives you info on power and quality of service.
hairy_mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 20:43   #14
Stokiemike
Inactive

hi Live in stoke m8 checked on da eng screen and all signals are fine expect 1 and its on the side part of the screen and its the first box i am pretty sure its the one for the interactive service
Old 09-04-2004, 20:50   #15
wheeliebin
Inactive

wheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
hi Live in stoke m8 checked on da eng screen and all signals are fine expect 1 and its on the side part of the screen and its the first box i am pretty sure its the one for the interactive service

Check this link Checking your return path signal strength

It shows you how to check your return path signal and QOS (quality of service) without having to enter the engineers screen.

If your dont have a power level then get an Engineer out
wheeliebin is offline   Reply With Quote