Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Total Noob Web Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Total Noob Web Question

Old 02-04-2004, 18:58   #1
Flip
Inactive

Flip is on a distinguished roadFlip is on a distinguished road
Total Noob Web Question

After guest blogging on a couple of sites for quite sometime...I took the plunge and delved into the mystical world of my own web page...weeks and loss of hair later (hehe) I am sort of ready to launch it...however.

I only use the ntl webspace at the moment for linking images and stuff...however the url always gives my full name as in the user name ntl gave me when i signed up.

Whilst not ashamed of my name I'm sick of seeing my name in the url as in:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/neil.hu...ebackroom2.htm

How do I get rid of it?

Can i get rid of it?

Thanks in advance
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2004, 19:13   #2
homealone

Re: Total Noob Web Question

Hi

afaik you can't change the 'homepage/ntlworld/username' part of the address, sorry

- have you thought about registering your own domain & using a hosting service? The deal offered by i-web solutions to members of this forum is very good value, for example.

- check it out at

http://www.i-websolutions.co.uk/nthwwhosting.html

Old 02-04-2004, 19:15   #3
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

You could use www.tinyurl.com to change that into something completely different.

Then you would just give out tinyurl.com/Flip or something similar to people.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 19:16   #4
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Go with an I-web account m8... Send a PM to KingPheonix... He's a top bloke !!
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 19:21   #5
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Eh, dont want to annoy the sponsors or nothing, but www.web-mania.com offer much more than that for a fixed 20quid a year.

500MB of disk space
6GB of data transfer per month
Frontpage extensions version 2002
Unlimited POP3 mail@yourdomain.com
Unlimited mail forwarding mail@yourdomain.com
Email is filtered for Spam and Viruses.
Unlimited subdomains of your domain name
e.g. http://subdomain.yourdomain.com/
CGI-BIN directory
Control Panel
Perl 5
PHP 4
SSI (server side includes)
MySQL Database
phpMyAdmin for MySQL management
SSH access
Full FTP access
Detailed visitor statistics
Close control downflow air conditioning units.
UPS system and Generator back-up

@20 quid a year.
Old 02-04-2004, 19:23   #6
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Compare that to I-Web,

50 Meg Storage
1 Gig Transfer
1 SUb Domain
5 Pop 3 e-mails

@24 quid a year.

Nuff said really.
Old 02-04-2004, 19:24   #7
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

riot
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 19:27   #8
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

LOL
Old 02-04-2004, 19:29   #9
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblueraja

LOL

nowt wrong with a bit of healthy competition
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 19:33   #10
homealone

Quote:
Compare that to I-Web,

50 Meg Storage
1 Gig Transfer
1 SUb Domain
5 Pop 3 e-mails

@24 quid a year.

Nuff said really.
that's the 'standard' deal, the 'special' for forum members is £10.69 per year & includes 100Mb storage & 2 Gig transfer, but no sub-domain.

Ok still not the same as the web-mania deal, which looks very competitive, but I have to say my experience of i-web has been very favourable and suits my modest needs.
Old 02-04-2004, 20:28   #11
Flip
Inactive

Flip is on a distinguished roadFlip is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks for the quick replies and help guys...the tinu url was sitting in my favourites (doh!) thanks for reminding me!

As for setting up domain and host...I'm curently being bombarded with offers, but have to say the 20 quid a year looks pretty cool

I'm just testing the water at the moment and getting my head around code...which too me is like learning swahilli blindfolded with 17 thumbs...muhahahaaa!

Thankfully Coolio (see sig) has spent ages letting me run riot on his site and the Flophouse will have a similar look but with a blog attached...old journos never stop writing crap to anyone who'll read it!

Thanks again and make sure you pop over to Coolios and The Flophouse (when it's open hehe!)

Cheers
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 20:59   #12
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Another thing I'd reccomend is signing up for a free address at www.dot.tk so your address would be for example:
www.whateveryouwanthere.tk

That is the address you can give uot to people and then it redirects to your ntl website.
Simple and free.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 22:11   #13
Inactive

50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era50420 has entered a golden reputation era

hi flip....
you can change your homepage address to avoid having your name in the url....did it myself

will take a call to tech support though

firstly...you'll need to create an email address...with a username that u'd like to have in the homepage url

give tech support a call...they may even create the email for u ..while your on the call... the agent will then need to remove your webspace from sabs and create new webspace.... but the url is limited in that it can only contain a valid username from your own sabs account (...as far as am aware...have been off for a while)...hence the creation of the new email address.

if u've uploaded anything to your existing ntl webspace.... it'll be gone when removed from sabs...so will need to upload any existing pages to the new homepage url

....hope that makes some kinda sense
50420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 22:19   #14
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

There was a tech on .com I think that did this for me, it can be done.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 23:09   #15
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Compare that to I-Web,

50 Meg Storage
1 Gig Transfer
1 SUb Domain
5 Pop 3 e-mails

@24 quid a year.

Nuff said really.
I wouldn't personally host with someone who has a box sitting at what looks like Easynet. After having a leased line through them a few years back I'd rather die in a horrific chemical fire than ever deal with them again.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote