Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 13:32   #11011
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetBlowWhistler View Post
Ok, I'll byte how about this one..

Which kind of suggests an OPT-IN service where the consumer is selling their data for a free broadband connection. This is so far away from what Phorm and BT are doing I don't see how the author of that article can turn it into a 'Phorm is good' piece. Unless you know differently HW.
Free phones already exist, see blyk in EU and sugar mama in USA - both supported by ads. Probably lots more around the world, so what is new about G joining the market?
On the other hand, I use a VoIP phone which allows me free calls without having to see the ads, so why would I go for a phone with ads?

Anyway, this is a distraction. What has viewing ads for a minute a day got to do with all your internet traffic being copied?
It would be news if the free phone came with voice recognition software that serves ads based on your conversations or text messages received or send.

BTW - the voice recognition on mobile phones is next on the list and being followed just as much as phorm. Hopefully, blocking the one will have the same effect on the other. Spyware, tracking and profiling is the same, regardless of the medium.
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2008, 13:32   #11012
rryles
Inactive

rryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterWheel View Post
I suspect most postmen know what is in 90% of letters anyway, most are pretty obvious.
There is a difference between knowing that a letter is from your bank and knowing what your income is and what you spend your money on.
Old 03-07-2008, 13:35   #11013
Peter N

Sorry Hammy, perhaps you can clarify because questions 3 & 4 are not the same as questions 1 & 2.

Are you really saying that you don't care or mind if the postman opens your mail - just because he feels like it -as long as he promises to forget what he has read?

What about some dodgy American bloke who knows your postman - can he read them as well?

Old 03-07-2008, 13:37   #11014
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

HamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notoriety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
I submit that if you have answered questions 2 and 4 honestly, then you do not represent the typical views of most adults in this country.
Have you got a survey to prove that ?
Or is it just your opinion ?

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter N View Post
Sorry Hammy, perhaps you can clarify because questions 3 & 4 are not the same as questions 1 & 2.

Are you really saying that you don't care or mind if the postman opens your mail - just because he feels like it -as long as he promises to forget what he has read?

What about some dodgy American bloke who knows your postman - can he read them as well?
phorm does not remember anything - it does not store any data.

I suppose you will reply that we only have it's word for that, but that is a totally different argument. Your ISP can see what you're surfing if MI5 want to know.
Old 03-07-2008, 13:40   #11015
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Yes, because I always try to carry around a handy survey in my back pocket for occasions like this.
Old 03-07-2008, 13:42   #11016
Peter N

Quote:

I suppose you will reply that we only have it's word for that, but that is a totally different argument. Your ISP can see what you're surfing if MI5 want to know.
Was that an answer to my question cos it doesn't make sense?

Old 03-07-2008, 13:44   #11017
rryles
Inactive

rryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Then how does it serve more relevant advertising based on what has happened in the past?

Quote:
But MI5 don't want to know. They'd gain nothing from looking at my communications. Criminals however...
Old 03-07-2008, 13:44   #11018
thebarron
Inactive

Services: VM 10mb, phone
thebarron is on a distinguished roadthebarron is on a distinguished road

Quote:

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:35 ----------

There is 15,137 signatures on the Gov site
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ispphorm/

and
Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal? Yes 958 95.51%

On here will they do?
Old 03-07-2008, 13:46   #11019
Peter N

Hammy Chris T said "I submit that..."

Submit
to present or refer to others for decision, consideration, etc.
to offer as an opinion; suggest; propose

Old 03-07-2008, 13:49   #11020
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

HamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notoriety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter N View Post
Hammy Chris T said "I submit that..."

Submit
to present or refer to others for decision, consideration, etc.
to offer as an opinion; suggest; propose
I know that - I was just drawing attention to the fact that it was just an opinion.

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarron View Post
There is 15,137 signatures on the Gov site
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ispphorm/

and
Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal? Yes 958 95.51%

On here will they do?
I submit (to use the vernacular) that that is hardly a representative sample !
Old 03-07-2008, 13:49   #11021
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecpc View Post
I have only just realised that as I have a Microsoft Home Server which holds all my media (music, photos, DVD's) and some personal information, which is all password protected for online access for my family when away from home, so will this be subject to PHORM's invasion.
Previously I was only thinking it affected full servers and not the home-brew variety. If that is the case what is the best way to prevent it, apart from obviously disabling the online access totally.

Colin
yep, every single web server of any type weather its a full blown Apache install with all the trimmings, or a 10 kilobyte *Rebol web server script, no matter were its housed, is subject to being Phormed, as the BT lads and ladys here and betaBT have already stated , even the ISP's minimal included webspace (its not "free" as you have to pay for the ISP service first before you get even that) will be subject to Phorm interception.

any ISP given webspace, any home server running on your end user connection, of any type that uses http in any way will be subject to being phormed.

if you sent any http://myhomeServer/passwordProtected.html page, it cant help but be intercepted and collected, then processed to see if it matches whatever purposes they like, "derivative work","blacklist",whitelist" etc,some sites might find themselves in the ISP/Phorm blacklists..., but most likely, only those that can easly afford the upfront court fees to take the ISP/Phorm to court (anyone can take them to court and get the outlayed costs returned after they win OC,but chancers like these ISP/Phorm executives hope you wont take them there to begin with, or those silly enough to provide personal proof of ownership and website addresses to BT etc).

i never really gave it much thought ,but it seems any end to end tunnel might give you as end users server users, some form of protection, and as i advocate Multicasting then i wonder if peter barnes simple and free java based Multicast client/server tunnel will inadvertently protect you as an end user, accessing your own home LAN contents remotely.

and as an extra bonus if its setup right,save you some bandwidth if your for instance remotely watching your Multicast streamed TV/content through it.

http://www.cdt.luth.se/~peppar/progs/mTunnel/
"The mTunnel is an application that tunnels multicast packets over an unicast UDP channel.

Several multicast streams can be sent over the same tunnel while the tunnel will still only use one port.

This is useful if tunneling through a firewall.

The applications primary goal is to allow for easy tunneling of multicast over for instance a modem and/or an ISDN connection.

The mTunnel has a built in Web-server allowing for easy access to information about current tunnels.

This server listens by default on port 9000 on the machine where started.

The mTunnel also listens on session announcements for easier tunneling of known sessions.

If you download and install this package please send me an email! :-) (peppar@cdt.luth.se.invalid )
The latest public version is 0.3 released 980102.
README Changelog
Download: Windows UNIX
This version is NOT compatible with earlier versions of mTunnel! I have also written two papers about this application: Paper1 - 1998 Paper2 - 1997
"

*hell even a one liner rebol script
http://www.rebol.org/cgi-bin/cgiwrap...er-webserver.r
Purpose: {Webserver serving files from the current directory.}
One-liner-length: 308
Author: "Cal Dixon"

or any of the many here
http://www.rebol.org/cgi-bin/cgiwrap...erver&form=yes
Old 03-07-2008, 13:56   #11022
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

OK I got a few things sorted out now. I am meeting with CoL Police Operational Planning on Wednesday afternoon, then straight on to the House fo Lords for a meeting with the Earl of Northesk.

If anyone has any questions they would like me to ask the Earl of Northesk on their behalf, please let me know by PM in good time so I can get everything prepared.

Thanks

Alexander Hanff
Old 03-07-2008, 13:57   #11023
Peter N

Quote:
I know that - I was just drawing attention to the fact that it was just an opinion.
A pretty good one though given the laws in this country are determined by a democratically elected government.

Postal Services Act 2000 (c. 26)
Part V Offences in relation to Postal Services
Offences of interfering with the mail

(1) A person who is engaged in the business of a postal operator commits an offence if, contrary to his duty and without reasonable excuse, he—

(a) intentionally delays or opens a postal packet in the course of its transmission by post

...and you still haven't answered my question.

Old 03-07-2008, 13:57   #11024
TheBruce1
Inactive

TheBruce1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterWheel
So how does phorm not store my details, how is the information disposed of and which method is used to destroy the data, do not keep saying it does if you cannot provide evidence to the contrary, lets see some facts, not opinion.
Old 03-07-2008, 13:59   #11025
davethejag
Inactive

davethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about them

Another survey -

"eMarketer cited a TrustE study which found that 70.5 percent of Internet users polled seemed to be decently aware that their browsing activity could be tracked by third parties for advertising. But only about 23 percent of them said that they were OK with having their behavior monitored, even if they were assured that the data would not be shared and no personal information would be divulged."

Taken from here -

http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9983177-2.html

Dave.
Closed Thread