Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Networking question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Networking question

Old 07-07-2005, 20:09   #31
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Networking question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A
My PC
Wireless Router >>>> ethernet cable into wireless network card >>> another cable from router leading downstairs into second wireless card in 2nd PC?
Wayne as pointed out you are buying a wireless router and using wireless cards in the PCs, you would only need to use a cable to connect anything to the router if you needed to troubleshoot the connection. Other than that I would stay wireless if I were you

Quote:
I dont understand. Could someone put it in simple steps in the correct way like i have so that i understand?
Erm let me see
Your connection will plug into the wireless router. The wireless router will then transmit the data to the wireless cards which are in your PC. Your PC will take that data and give some form of graphical representation of it on your display.
The wireless networking equipment does not require cables connecting it all together
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2005, 20:25   #32
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Right, now I'm clear on what you are intending.

1) Ignore, scrap, sell, whatever the internal PCI ADSL modem. You willl not need it again.

2) For your existing PC, make sure it has a standard ethernet network card. If it doesn't simple ones cost around £10.00

3) Buy yourself a wireless router.
This wireless router can be with or without an integral ADSL modem. If it has a modem integral you will not need your BT modem. If you do not have an integral modem you will need the BT modem. I do not know if the BT modem uses an ethernet or USB connection. If it is USB it will probably not be compatible with a wireless router so in which case you should get a combined wireless router with ADSL modem.

4) Buy a wireless network adaptor card for your new PC.

5) The wiring setup will now be:
Wall socket of incoming ADSL connection > modem cable > ADSL modem
ADSL modem > ethernet cable > wireless router
(if you have a combined wireless router modem then it will be wall socket > modem cable > router)
wireless router > ethernet cable > original PC network card
wireless router > no wires needed > new PC wireless network adaptor.

This setup has the advantage both PCs can now operate independently of each other, but you can transfer data (slowly) between them. Both PCs can be switched on and off independently of each other.

Since the original PC is located in the study, where you are already happy to have a wired setup there is no point in giving it the added expense of wireless. There is also nothing to be gained by switching back to your internal ADSL modem, when you give up AOL. Your BT modem should work quite adequately on any ADSL service, unless it is limited in some way on it's maximum speed service. You 'd just need to reprogram it, when the time comes, for the new ADSL supplier's logon.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 21:22   #33
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Wayne, the more I read your posts, the more convinced I am that you are a chatbot rather than a real person ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 22:03   #34
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

I have another question: My current PC that im using now has Windows XP Home SP2. The PC im having built will have Windows XP Professional on it. Now when i network these will the PC's be able to see each other on the network?

Also after i have moved my acount from the current PC to my new one, im gonna format the current PC im using now. What network settings should i note down?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 22:05   #35
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I have another question: My current PC that im using now has Windows XP Home SP2. The PC im having built will have Windows XP Professional on it. Now when i network these will the PC's be able to see each other on the network?

Also after i have moved my acount from the current PC to my new one, im gonna format the current PC im using now. What network settings should i note down?
Yes, they will be able to see eachother.

My network of XP and 2k3 Server runs just fine.

The network should be fairly easy to set up, not much in the way of network settings really.

Just make a note of any fixed IP addresses you've used, and what the Workgroup / Domain name is that you've used.

I'm sure someone will come up with something else though
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 22:08   #36
Dave Stones
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband Option 3, BT Landline, Freeview
Dave Stones has reached the bronze age
Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Dave Stones

please don't introduce the idea of fixed IPs....assuming he will be using a router, just leave him be with dynamic addressing, will make life much easier

they will be able to see each other assuming they have the same workgroup...

oh and raistlin, i'm keeping my eye on you.... i don't like the looks of my walls anymore
Dave Stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 22:08   #37
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:

www.google.co.uk

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 22:10   #38
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stones
please don't introduce the idea of fixed IPs....assuming he will be using a router, just leave him be with dynamic addressing, will make life much easier
Good point, well made

Quote:
they will be able to see each other assuming they have the same workgroup...
Yep

Quote:
oh and raistlin, i'm keeping my eye on you.... i don't like the looks of my walls anymore
I know you're keeping your eye on me Dave, don't worry - they've seen you doing it..... Oh, and it's not the walls you want to worry about
Old 14-07-2005, 22:11   #39
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
Quote:

Yes, they will be able to see eachother.

My network of XP and 2k3 Server runs just fine.

The network should be fairly easy to set up, not much in the way of network settings really.

Just make a note of any fixed IP addresses you've used, and what the Workgroup / Domain name is that you've used.

I'm sure someone will come up with something else though
You mentioned Domains and workgroups, would this be nessecery, could you please give me a little more info?

EDIT: It think i understand the IP part now, would that be the MAC Addresses of both PC's?
Old 14-07-2005, 22:15   #40
Raistlin
Inactive

Ok, ignore Domain - red herring for what you're doing.

On your desktop right click on the My Computer icon.

Select properties.

Select Computer Name.

Towards the middle of the information is a line that says "Workgroup", this should be the same for both machines once they're set up.

Quote:
EDIT: It think i understand the IP part now, would that be the MAC Addresses of both PC's?
Nope. Ignore that bit.

If you're installing a router you don't need to worry about that, it will give each machine an IP address - nothing you need to worry about honest.

I think I was over complicating things a bit because of the way my machine is set up.
Old 14-07-2005, 22:15   #41
Dave Stones
Inactive

Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age

Quote:
You mentioned Domains and workgroups, would this be nessecery, could you please give me a little more info?

windows xp home does not work with domains.

workgroups are an essential part, you get asked in windows initial setup what workgroup you want to choose, unless they are the same then the pcs wont be able to comminucate as easily as they should/could.

IPs and MACs are completely separate... IP = internet protocol, MAC = machine allocation code.
Old 14-07-2005, 22:17   #42
Raistlin
Inactive

Mac is also a long grey coat that Spies and Government Agents wear
Old 14-07-2005, 22:17   #43
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Quote:
Ok, ignore Domain - red herring for what you're doing.

On your desktop right click on the My Computer icon.

Select properties.

Select Computer Name.

Towards the middle of the information is a line that says "Workgroup", this should be the same for both machines once they're set up.

Quote:
Nope. Ignore that bit.

If you're installing a router you don't need to worry about that, it will give each machine an IP address - nothing you need to worry about honest.

I think I was over complicating things a bit because of the way my machine is set up.
Is this what you mean?
Old 14-07-2005, 22:18   #44
Raistlin
Inactive

Yep.

Your workgroup is called "WORKGROUP".

Both machines need to have the same workgroup name for them to be able to network.
Old 14-07-2005, 22:19   #45
Dave Stones
Inactive

Quote:
Mac is also a long grey coat that Spies and Government Agents wear
shutupshutupshutup!!! my bed is a divan though, so at least no one can hide under it

don't like the noises coming from the loft though

oh, wayne... yes. click the "change" button, and all your options will be presented like a magic carpet...