17-07-2012, 21:26
|
#16
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Middlesbrough [TS10]
Age: 41
Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
Posts: 967
|
Re: Superhub2
Cisco aren't exactly the best brand in network technology, either. Just a name that seems to get around a lot.
|
|
|
17-07-2012, 21:38
|
#17
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up North - Where It's Grim
Age: 59
Posts: 2,588
|
Re: Superhub2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_
I also rather doubt that they will grow a pair and buy a mainstream device already in use by millions around the world because that would be them admitting that they screwed up by supplying both the VMNG300 and then the VMDG480 as realistically they are both junk and not truly fit for purpose in comparison to say a Motorola SBG900/1 series device.
|
I'm sure if VM went to Motorola and said "we want the SBG900/1 and want it with VM branding on the case", Motorola would say "if you're buying them in the hundreds of thousands or millions you can have any branding you want on them".
Hey presto - new superhub that works and VM save face. Aren't BT now on homehub 3? Introducing new versions doeasnt seem to have done them any harm.
Cheers
Grim
|
|
|
17-07-2012, 22:55
|
#18
|
|
a giant headend
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,169
|
Re: Superhub2
I dont understand why VM have this obsession with making everything the same bloody shape. It wastes a ton of space and makes placement of the devices awkward.
Just get a simple logo screenprinted onto the existing kit and be done with it. And please dont add 11 blue lights.
|
|
|
17-07-2012, 23:28
|
#19
|
|
Guest
Location: West Sussex
Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Superhub2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie
I dont understand why VM have this obsession with making everything the same bloody shape. It wastes a ton of space and makes placement of the devices awkward.
Just get a simple logo screenprinted onto the existing kit and be done with it. And please dont add 11 blue lights.
|
Only 11? I may have miscounted
|
|
|
|
18-07-2012, 07:10
|
#20
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV
XL Phone
30Mb Superhub
Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
|
Re: Superhub2
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus
I am not a Motorola fan, it is a poor man's Cisco
|
They are well better than either of the present illegitimised devices presently in use namely the VMNG300 and the Superhub, and surprisingly the mainstream devices like Ronseal did exactly what they say on the tin.
UBEE/Ambit and Netgear gave Virgin Media cheap nasty equipment and both went laughing all the way to the bank.
You want decent kit you go with a mainstream manufacturer and they did test Cisco devices as well but went with the camels now in use.
I do not understand why you would want to support a third rate device when we all know the is better kit out there.
---------- Post added at 08:10 ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth
I'm sure if VM went to Motorola and said "we want the SBG900/1 and want it with VM branding on the case", Motorola would say "if you're buying them in the hundreds of thousands or millions you can have any branding you want on them".
Hey presto - new superhub that works and VM save face. Aren't BT now on homehub 3? Introducing new versions doeasnt seem to have done them any harm.
Cheers
Grim
|
They never did that with any previous Motorola devices and the would be no need now as bringing out a branded device would make them look like they they actually care, if it was branded no one would trust them not to have fiddled with it in some way remember the CG3100 series the Superhub is based on has 7 or 8 antenna built in unlike the the 2 stamp sized one fitted inside the back of the device.
|
|
|
18-07-2012, 08:42
|
#21
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Superhub2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_
I do not understand why you would want to support a third rate device when we all know the is better kit out there
|
Because for the first time ever I am not going to live in a dream world and be realistic. Yes if I could have anything I want I would want a Cisco modem and router and would even pay for it if VM said I had to. But the problem is that most customers have nevr heard of Cisco and definitely don't want to pay for it. People are with VM because they are cheap (no offence) and want tv/phone/internet for piddly amounts per month so there is no way they are going to cough up the dosh for a kick modem/router no matter how much VM how amazing it is. VM have got to find a compromise a provide something that is relatively inexpensive and WORKS. The latter being my priority and hence why I love my VMNG300; it works perfectly and has done for the last 2 years.
|
|
|
18-07-2012, 09:05
|
#22
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV
XL Phone
30Mb Superhub
Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
|
Re: Superhub2
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus
Because for the first time ever I am not going to live in a dream world and be realistic. Yes if I could have anything I want I would want a Cisco modem and router and would even pay for it if VM said I had to. But the problem is that most customers have nevr heard of Cisco and definitely don't want to pay for it. People are with VM because they are cheap (no offence) and want tv/phone/internet for piddly amounts per month so there is no way they are going to cough up the dosh for a kick modem/router no matter how much VM how amazing it is. VM have got to find a compromise a provide something that is relatively inexpensive and WORKS. The latter being my priority and hence why I love my VMNG300; it works perfectly and has done for the last 2 years.
|
But it is not futureproof and nor has it been for those two years regardless of how well it works.
Demanding decent kit is not living in a dreamworld either because considering the amount of devices they would order they would have been offered them at a very competitive price.
As I said above if you want your customers to have a racehorse you do not fob them off with a camel.
|
|
|
18-07-2012, 09:59
|
#23
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 449
|
Re: Superhub2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_
Demanding decent kit is not living in a dreamworld either because considering the amount of devices they would order they would have been offered them at a very competitive price.
|
I put this suggestion to the CEO some time ago, when asking for my SH to be replaced with my current VMNG300.
I've always suggested VM should supply a decent, solid MODEM for those who are willing to pay a one off charge for same.
However, in the reply there was no mention of this, just an email to confirm I would be getting the VMNG300.
I seem to remember some years ago, you actually had to buy your cable modem when you joined VM (or NTL as it was then), or am I dreaming?
Maybe this practice could be reintroduced.
|
|
|
18-07-2012, 10:38
|
#24
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV
XL Phone
30Mb Superhub
Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
|
Re: Superhub2
Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi
I seem to remember some years ago, you actually had to buy your cable modem when you joined VM (or NTL as it was then), or am I dreaming?
Maybe this practice could be reintroduced.
|
It was NTL and it will have been when they rolled out 500kb with Terayons or similar another piece of old junk.
|
|
|
18-07-2012, 11:55
|
#25
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stafford
Posts: 4,225
|
Re: Superhub2
Look at how comcast work, they are solely the ISP (Internet Service Provider) and not IaMaRSP (Internet and Modem and Router Service Provider)
Comcast provide you with your bandwidth, and have a range of modems for you to buy from them, or you can buy your own modem and they will activate it on their network
|
|
|
18-07-2012, 12:15
|
#26
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Superhub2
Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi
I've always suggested VM should supply a decent, solid MODEM for those who are willing to pay a one off charge for same.
|
You do pay for it in a roundabout way which is the annoying thing. When 50mbit first came out I had to pay £50 installation fee (which I basically thought of as paying for the modem) and then another £30 "activation" charge whatever the flip that was. All the engineer did was come round, give me the modem and watch me hook it up and then make a phone call to get it activated and I ran a couple of speed tests to make sure it worked. If none of that was for the modem cost why was it £80? I thought I was going to have something similar for 100mbits but when I rang up for it they said the installation charges and whatever else were free at the time which was good. I would love it thought it they offered a cheap naf modem for free, a Cisco modem for £25 and then a combi modem/router for £60. I would love to hear the plebs on the phone when someone says "so what is the difference between them?"  Oh hang on, I know already. "If you want to get your full speed you need the £60 one".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_
It was NTL and it will have been when they rolled out 500kb with Terayons or similar another piece of old junk.
|
That was when I joined back in ~2000, I can't remember having to pay for the modem though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12
Comcast provide you with your bandwidth, and have a range of modems for you to buy from them, or you can buy your own modem and they will activate it on their network
|
sweeeeeeeeeet, that is the way it should be done
|
|
|
18-07-2012, 12:19
|
#27
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 449
|
Re: Superhub2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_
It was NTL and it will have been when they rolled out 500kb with Terayons or similar another piece of old junk.
|
Ahh the Terayon, brings back memories .......
I still have mine and the Ambit 250 as well as a SH. Such a collection of VM's finest
|
|
|
18-07-2012, 12:43
|
#28
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Superhub2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boroboi
Cisco aren't exactly the best brand in network technology, either. Just a name that seems to get around a lot.
|
Agreed
|
|
|
18-07-2012, 12:52
|
#29
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
Posts: 501
|
Re: Superhub2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_
It was NTL and it will have been when they rolled out 500kb with Terayons or similar another piece of old junk.
|
3Com CMX for me - Cost over £100 (Can't remember exactly how much more) back when NTL rolled out their 512Mb service
|
|
|
18-07-2012, 16:46
|
#30
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stafford
Posts: 4,225
|
Re: Superhub2
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus
sweeeeeeeeeet, that is the way it should be done
|
http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:34.
|