Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Networking question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Networking question

Old 07-07-2005, 15:05   #16
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Re: Networking question

Just had another thought, would i have to buy a Wireless Acess Point Adapter?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2005, 16:16   #17
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millay
Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc
4.5 GB over a 54 Mb/s connection:

4.5 GB = 4.5 x 1024 = 4608 MB = 4608 x 8 = 36864 Mb

time = size / speed = 36864 Mb / 54 Mb/s = 682.67 s (or about 11 mins 20 s)
I'll give you £20 if you can show me proof of a wirless netowrk transfering data at that speed
It's the theoretical maximum speed of a g WLAN obviously the actual speed will be different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A
All you need is a wireless modem/router plus a wireless network card for each PC (either PCI, PCMCIA or USB depending on what your requirements are )

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 16:20   #18
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
4.5 GB over a 54 Mb/s connection:

4.5 GB = 4.5 x 1024 = 4608 MB = 4608 x 8 = 36864 Mb

time = size / speed = 36864 Mb / 54 Mb/s = 682.67 s (or about 11 mins 20 s)
I'll give you £20 if you can show me proof of a wirless netowrk transfering data at that speed
It's the theoretical maximum speed of a g WLAN obviously the actual speed will be different...

Quote:
All you need is a wireless modem/router plus a wireless network card for each PC (either PCI, PCMCIA or USB depending on what your requirements are )
ok and obviously cat5 crossover cable which i can also get from PC World?
Old 07-07-2005, 16:22   #19
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

only if you wanna use 10/100 as well as the wireless... and patch rather than crossover if you're not connecting 2 PCs to each other...

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 16:26   #20
Dave Stones
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband Option 3, BT Landline, Freeview
Dave Stones has reached the bronze age
Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Dave Stones

Quote:
ok and obviously cat5 crossover cable which i can also get from PC World?
if you want to throw your money away. cable universe has them for abuot £1. fail to see why you would need a crossover anyway...

oh and whoever is dishing out crisp new £20 notes... at the moment i am encoding all my dvds to .iso, and then sending the .iso files to my external hard drive, connected to my laptop. the main pc is 100mbps network card, and laptop is 54mbps wireless. it takes almost dead on 15 minutes to transfer the 4.5gb file, so ner can i have my £20?
Dave Stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 16:30   #21
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Ok, so im connecting the 2 PC's i have got together and would just need the router and standard cable?
About the woreless network cards, do they have to be the same make an model in each machine? Would i also need a wireless access point?
Old 07-07-2005, 16:33   #22
Dave Stones
Inactive

Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age

i use a linksys 54g router and a d-link laptop adapter

its a standard, anything will work
Old 07-07-2005, 16:37   #23
Millay
Inactive

Millay has reached the bronze age
Millay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Millay Send a message via Yahoo to Millay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stones
if you want to throw your money away. cable universe has them for abuot £1. fail to see why you would need a crossover anyway...

oh and whoever is dishing out crisp new £20 notes... at the moment i am encoding all my dvds to .iso, and then sending the .iso files to my external hard drive, connected to my laptop. the main pc is 100mbps network card, and laptop is 54mbps wireless. it takes almost dead on 15 minutes to transfer the 4.5gb file, so ner can i have my £20?
Sorry Dave, but it has to be in 11 minutes.. 15 is just to slow...
Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 16:46   #24
Dave Stones
Inactive

Quote:
Sorry Dave, but it has to be in 11 minutes.. 15 is just to slow...
well that is under ideal situations.... mine is a real world test

running through to an external hard drive from a secondary internal drive on a different computer will obviously cause some backlog
Old 07-07-2005, 16:47   #25
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

OK, you are building a desktop PC to replace an existing desktop. Once you have transferred the data from the existing desktop are you going to keep the old one and still use it, or get rid of it.

Are there any other PCs in the house.

At the moment your desktop is directly connected, by wire, to the broadband phone point, and has an integral ADSL modem. Unless you are going to move the desktop around to other rooms that don't have a wired connection (and there is no practical way of running a wire), you don't need the added expense (and setup issues) of wireless. If you are only going to have one PC you don't need a router (although they can offer some security advantages, such as a hardware firewall).

If your old PC is only going to get occasional use, then it might be cheaper to connect that to the new one via Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), wired, than run to the expense of a router.

If you are going to regularly use two PCs then a router is the best way forward. You only need wireless though if there is no easy way of getting wires to the fixed desktop position. If you do need wireless then most wireless routers include the ability for up to 4 wired PC connections in addition to the wireless. More correctly these wireless routers are called "wireless access point routers".

If you get a router, for wired connection, all you will need is a standard ethernet network card (PCI) for your PC. If you want to use ICS then you need two network cards. Many modern motherboards will include at least one network card connection. Some motherboards include wireless adaptors too.

If you are going down the wireless route, you will need either a wireless adaptor card (or on board wireless adaptor) for the PC, or a network card attached to an external wireless Bridge. Be carefull with the termiology here as access pioints and bridges are different things.

I would not recommend you use a wireless device that relies on USB to connect to the PC. As many have said eleswhere, USB relies on the computer resources generally to operate, whereas dedicated hardware like a proper card is less depandant on the main CPU so there can be better performance. For the small extra cost of a dedicated card network or wireless network adaptor, it make sense to take tha option.

Whatever happens, unless you reuse your existing internal ADSL modem (and there is no reason why you should not, unless it is integrated to the PC), or buy an euivalent internal modem, you will need to get a standalone one or one that is integrated with a router. The router integrated, can be cheaper, and more convenient, but if there is any future possibility of your going cable, and ADSL router would be incompatible.

No disrespect intended, but I'm worried you are just jumping on a bandwagon or wireless and routers for the sake of it, rather than haveing any real need for either.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 19:03   #26
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedGoalPosts
OK, you are building a desktop PC to replace an existing desktop. Once you have transferred the data from the existing desktop are you going to keep the old one and still use it, or get rid of it.

Are there any other PCs in the house.

At the moment your desktop is directly connected, by wire, to the broadband phone point, and has an integral ADSL modem. Unless you are going to move the desktop around to other rooms that don't have a wired connection (and there is no practical way of running a wire), you don't need the added expense (and setup issues) of wireless. If you are only going to have one PC you don't need a router (although they can offer some security advantages, such as a hardware firewall).

If your old PC is only going to get occasional use, then it might be cheaper to connect that to the new one via Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), wired, than run to the expense of a router.

If you are going to regularly use two PCs then a router is the best way forward. You only need wireless though if there is no easy way of getting wires to the fixed desktop position. If you do need wireless then most wireless routers include the ability for up to 4 wired PC connections in addition to the wireless. More correctly these wireless routers are called "wireless access point routers".

If you get a router, for wired connection, all you will need is a standard ethernet network card (PCI) for your PC. If you want to use ICS then you need two network cards. Many modern motherboards will include at least one network card connection. Some motherboards include wireless adaptors too.

If you are going down the wireless route, you will need either a wireless adaptor card (or on board wireless adaptor) for the PC, or a network card attached to an external wireless Bridge. Be carefull with the termiology here as access pioints and bridges are different things.

I would not recommend you use a wireless device that relies on USB to connect to the PC. As many have said eleswhere, USB relies on the computer resources generally to operate, whereas dedicated hardware like a proper card is less depandant on the main CPU so there can be better performance. For the small extra cost of a dedicated card network or wireless network adaptor, it make sense to take tha option.

Whatever happens, unless you reuse your existing internal ADSL modem (and there is no reason why you should not, unless it is integrated to the PC), or buy an euivalent internal modem, you will need to get a standalone one or one that is integrated with a router. The router integrated, can be cheaper, and more convenient, but if there is any future possibility of your going cable, and ADSL router would be incompatible.

No disrespect intended, but I'm worried you are just jumping on a bandwagon or wireless and routers for the sake of it, rather than haveing any real need for either.
Let me explain. I have the current PC which i am using at the moment. I intend to keep this one, im having another built for my use so that my parents can use this one. I want to wirelessly connect them both as my PC is going to be upstairs in my room and the current one is staying in our study. Im on AOL BB at the moment which is being provided through an external ADSL modem (BT Voyager 105), however when i move back to Demon i have an internal PCI ADSL modem that i will be using. I want to know what is the best way to network these two PC's. I will use the router via ethernet, and do the wireless cards that are going to be in both PC's have to be the same make/model? Also the PC's will get used on a regular basis.
Old 07-07-2005, 19:22   #27
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Let me explain. I have the current PC which i am using at the moment. I intend to keep this one, im having another built for my use so that my parents can use this one. I want to wirelessly connect them both as my PC is going to be upstairs in my room and the current one is staying in our study. Im on AOL BB at the moment which is being provided through an external ADSL modem (BT Voyager 105), however when i move back to Demon i have an internal PCI ADSL modem that i will be using. I want to know what is the best way to network these two PC's. I will use the router via ethernet, and do the wireless cards that are going to be in both PC's have to be the same make/model? Also the PC's will get used on a regular basis.

at last some sense , a wireless router at your machine and either an ethernet connection to your machine and a wireless card in the other or two wirless cards , simple really , i suspect the cards dont need to be the same make , although i have read that better results are obtained from getting matched kit
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 19:56   #28
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
Quote:

at last some sense , a wireless router at your machine and either an ethernet connection to your machine and a wireless card in the other or two wirless cards , simple really , i suspect the cards dont need to be the same make , although i have read that better results are obtained from getting matched kit
Let me see if i understand you:

My PC
Wireless Router >>>> ethernet cable into wireless network card >>> another cable from router leading downstairs into second wireless card in 2nd PC?
Old 07-07-2005, 20:03   #29
Dave Stones
Inactive

Quote:

My PC
Wireless Router >>>> ethernet cable into wireless network card >>> another cable from router leading downstairs into second wireless card in 2nd PC?
the idea of a wireless network card is that it is wireless, hence it doesn't have wires going to it
Old 07-07-2005, 20:06   #30
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stones
Quote:

My PC
the idea of a wireless network card is that it is wireless, hence it doesn't have wires going to it
I dont understand. Could someone put it in simple steps in the correct way like i have so that i understand?