Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2016) Vol 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2016) Vol 2

Old 12-05-2016, 21:29   #241
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2016) Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstevenson View Post
Exactly and if sky lock away everything in movies and sports what is left?
A live and exclusive 4K stream of the Irish election results? Seriously, I suspect they'll go down the VoD route and woo Amazon and maybe a broadcaster like ITV perhaps in return for selling them TV3 in Ireland. We'll see.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2016, 21:32   #242
andrewstevenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
A live and exclusive 4K stream of the Irish election results? Seriously, I suspect they'll go down the VoD route and woo Amazon and maybe a broadcaster like ITV perhaps in return for selling them TV3 in Ireland. We'll see.
But is that competition for sky sports movie and f1 in 4K,
Old 12-05-2016, 22:09   #243
blue666666
Inactive

Services: XL tv bb 200 mb tivo 500gb box
blue666666 is a name known to allblue666666 is a name known to allblue666666 is a name known to allblue666666 is a name known to allblue666666 is a name known to allblue666666 is a name known to allblue666666 is a name known to allblue666666 is a name known to all

if sky do lock sport and movies which is highly possible then we might get BT 4k sport/movies(bt don't have 4k movies channel yet).if not which is most likely then that leaves streaming netflix/amazon but most people have a tv with apps or streaming box roku.never known might strike up deal to show 4k sky channels. cost of package will ultimately decide if people want it. i have a 4k tv so hope virgin get some channels with 4k
content.
blue666666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 22:31   #244
andrewstevenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue666666 View Post
if sky do lock sport and movies which is highly possible then we might get BT 4k sport/movies(bt don't have 4k movies channel yet).if not which is most likely then that leaves streaming netflix/amazon but most people have a tv with apps or streaming box roku.never known might strike up deal to show 4k sky channels. cost of package will ultimately decide if people want it. i have a 4k tv so hope virgin get some channels with 4k
content.
But here is the problem then 4K Netflix and Amazon prime total extra cost £179 per year so total £14 a month so in short if virgin end up in that situation and still don't have sky premium 4K it could cost them dearly
Old 13-05-2016, 08:07   #245
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Exactly and if sky lock away everything in movies and sports what is left

---------- Post added at 21:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

Well, we will have the terrestrials and Netflix in 4K for a start. It's not like we won't have any 4k content.

Hopefully, we will also have Amazon and exclusive on demand material from Virgin Media.

Channels such as Discovery and Eurosport we should get as soon as they are delivered in 4k (not sure if they are yet).

Then, of course, there is BT Sport, which hopefully will be available to us.

Virgin Movies should also be available in 4K when the time comes, so you could ditch Sky Movies and watch PPV films instead.

Personally, I hope that Netflix start taking over studio rights to films as existing contracts expire and Sky lose the Premiership rights to the bigger global players so that we can avoid these restrictive practices which deny millions access to the TV they want to watch with their chosen providers.

---------- Post added at 08:07 ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 ----------

Quote:
But here is the problem then 4K Netflix and Amazon prime total extra cost £179 per year so total £14 a month so in short if virgin end up in that situation and still don't have sky premium 4K it could cost them dearly
The reality is, if you want 4K in some abudance, you are going to have to pay for it, no matter what platform you are on.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 09:03   #246
andrewstevenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, we will have the terrestrials and Netflix in 4K for a start. It's not like we won't have any 4k content.

Hopefully, we will also have Amazon and exclusive on demand material from Virgin Media.

Channels such as Discovery and Eurosport we should get as soon as they are delivered in 4k (not sure if they are yet).

Then, of course, there is BT Sport, which hopefully will be available to us.

Virgin Movies should also be available in 4K when the time comes, so you could ditch Sky Movies and watch PPV films instead.

Personally, I hope that Netflix start taking over studio rights to films as existing contracts expire and Sky lose the Premiership rights to the bigger global players so that we can avoid these restrictive practices which deny millions access to the TV they want to watch with their chosen providers.

---------- Post added at 08:07 ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 ----------

The reality is, if you want 4K in some abudance, you are going to have to pay for it, no matter what platform you are on.
Well you do raise some good points, but like let's take virgin movies you can't record them or watch them after two days, unless there offered a virgin movies sunscription then it's a possable good idea. But then the sports like 4K premiership football no way round that

Look at like this in order to get movies in 4K we should need to pay everytime you want to watch, but if you was a sky customer you can watch SD HD and 4K anytime you want, how can virgin hold on there I do wonder, while still charging same or a bit more than sky movies and sports without 4K.

Let's not forget exclusive F1 in 4K and more than likely the football exclusive in 4K, is there any solution there
Old 13-05-2016, 09:13   #247
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Terrestrial channels in 4K good luck with that anytime soon.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 09:16   #248
andrewstevenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I think it might happen in time but it's a long way off
Old 13-05-2016, 09:24   #249
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Indeed it is a long time off in my opinion.
Old 13-05-2016, 09:57   #250
andrewstevenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Indeed it is a long time off in my opinion.
That's why I feel that the thing about having to source external 4K material is wrong when sky have it on channels we should have access 2 for what sky movies,sports and F1 cost
Old 13-05-2016, 10:12   #251
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
That's why I feel that the thing about having to source external 4K material is wrong when sky have it on channels we should have access 2 for what sky movies, sports and F1 cost
It's important to understand that only 20% of VM customers take Sky Movies or Sky Sports and they're hefty additions on top of most peoples' bills. So even if VM got these channels in 4k when Eos launches, only one in five people would potentially benefit.
I think 4k will play out a bit like HD has done. But I think adoption will be a lot slower. 4k v HD feels less of a substantial enhancement than HD v SD was and the public broadcasters don't have spare cash lying around.
It's a bit early to start worrying about content until the box arrives.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 13-05-2016 at 10:15.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 10:16   #252
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well, it's coming and the original intention was that the BBC would be offering 4k as standard by this year. Unfortunately, the Government review of spending has delayed this a bit and so what we are likely to see is a growing number of 4k programmes being made available through the BBC iPlayer before a full blown 4k channel is launched. The main commercial terrestrial stations will follow suit.

---------- Post added at 10:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

Quote:
That's why I feel that the thing about having to source external 4K material is wrong when sky have it on channels we should have access 2 for what sky movies,sports and F1 cost
Well, yes, but if Sky refuses access then there's no point in blaming Virgin Media.
Old 13-05-2016, 10:19   #253
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Read what I said it won't arrive anytime soon , the BBC may eventually make some available by iplayer but ITV , C4 and Channel 5 still don't provide HD On Demand via most platforms and defo not via their own players.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 10:21   #254
andrewstevenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, it's coming and the original intention was that the BBC would be offering 4k as standard by this year. Unfortunately, the Government review of spending has delayed this a bit and so what we are likely to see is a growing number of 4k programmes being made available through the BBC iPlayer before a full blown 4k channel is launched. The main commercial terrestrial stations will follow suit.

---------- Post added at 10:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

Well, yes, but if Sky refuses access then there's no point in blaming Virgin Media.
I defo wouldnt blame virgin media we know the games sky play

---------- Post added at 10:21 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It's important to understand that only 20% of VM customers take Sky Movies or Sky Sports and they're hefty additions on top of most peoples' bills. So even if VM got these channels in 4k when Eos launches, only one in five people would potentially benefit.
I think 4k will play out a bit like HD has done. But I think adoption will be a lot slower. 4k v HD feels less of a substantial enhancement than HD v SD was and the public broadcasters don't have spare cash lying around.
It's a bit early to start worrying about content until the box arrives.
How do you know those figures and wow only 20 percent that is very low and I defo thought it would be higher l, what is Eos
Old 13-05-2016, 10:31   #255
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Well you do raise some good points, but like let's take virgin movies you can't record them or watch them after two days, unless there offered a virgin movies sunscription then it's a possable good idea. But then the sports like 4K premiership football no way round that

Look at like this in order to get movies in 4K we should need to pay everytime you want to watch, but if you was a sky customer you can watch SD HD and 4K anytime you want, how can virgin hold on there I do wonder, while still charging same or a bit more than sky movies and sports without 4K.

Let's not forget exclusive F1 in 4K and more than likely the football exclusive in 4K, is there any solution there
Why would you want to record a film when it is there on demand, to be watched at any time? True, you have to actually sit and watch it, otherwise the period of time it is on there will eventually expire. However, if you ditched Sky Movies and put the money towards PPV films, I think you'd find that it would work out.

Frankly, I find it difficult to understand how someone could splash out on a 55" TV and then grumble about the cost of an Amazon subscription or PPV films.

The Premiership matches available to VM viewers are likely to arrive via BT Sport. Hopefully, the next Premiership deal with come with conditions about making all formats available to all platforms.

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Quote:
Read what I said it won't arrive anytime soon , the BBC may eventually make some available by iplayer but ITV , C4 and Channel 5 still don't provide HD On Demand via most platforms and defo not via their own players.
I think that the BBC will be fairly quick off the mark, but good point about the other terrestrials.

When the non pay tv channels start to embrace it, I do believe they will start with selected 4k programmes on demand rather than bandwidth hungry channels.